PDA

View Full Version : yellow Iris..wip

nancy_ellen56
04-15-2006, 03:11 AM
Great to see this new forum...Love it already...well here is my first attempt at painting anything of substance in a long while...using painter IX, round camel hair, pointed stump, and a brush I made and named stained glass...ref image from my iris garden

Chiers
04-15-2006, 03:10 PM
It's coming along. Is that veiny texture from your brush or one of the papers? I like it whatever it is. Waiting for the finale.

Glad to see you found the Alley.

nancy_ellen56
04-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi Cheirs...It is from the brushes...maybe I will get to work on this some more tonight...bye the way have a happy Easter

LadyAlba
04-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Great beginning waiting for the finish! ;o)

nancy_ellen56
04-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks lady Alba...
Well got a little more done...Mouse messed up on me so tried the pen again...just not comfortable with it yet..guess I would be if I used it more ..lol..went back to the mouse...anyhow it is coming along somewhat...enjoy looking...

justjean
04-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Looking good, I'll be back for the finish :)

TxAggieDarlin
04-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Girl, you will love that pen.......lol

You are doing really pretty work. How large are you working?

nancy_ellen56
04-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks Aggie, I am not so sure about loving the pen...lol...just got to make myself work with it more...I generally just work on the 500 X 600 size that is allowed on here...gives me practice with out the trouble of resizing for posting...I can print them out at 8 X 10's and 11 X14 without too much loss of detail...

nancy_ellen56
04-26-2006, 12:10 AM
Well finally, I think I am finished with this...had trouble with mouse and pen.. not sure if my dew drops look convincing but here it is...thanks for looking...all comments are welcome...I know from past experience I will see mistakes as soon as it is posted...but it helps to have others critique and I welcome your comments...

nancy_ellen56
04-26-2006, 01:04 AM
I have been sitting here looking at the print out...and this is what I have found...I should have left the dew drops off the upper petals and the three on the left side of the lower petal...but I have a question...in the past I have painted pictures at the size that w/c allows to post on here...saved the hassel of resizing later...they printed out nicely at the larger sizes but when I printed this one I see I lost a lot of detail and the painting not as sharp as it looked...so would I handle this best by resizing my canvas and let the computer make the adjustments or would it be better to use filters to sharpen the details...what do you think...I have already corrected the blur at the top of the painting...

Jin
04-26-2006, 03:55 AM
Nancy,

A 500 x 600 pixel image at 300 ppi would print a 1.667 x 2 inch image and should be a high quality print.

If the Resolution were reduced to 150 ppi:

The 500 x 600 pixel image at 150 ppi would print a 3.333 x 4 inch image and depending on where it's printed, it could also be an acceptable quality print, especially if the painting was soft, like a watercolor, with no sharp details.

If the Resolution were reduced to 75 ppi:

The 500 x 600 pixel image at 75 ppi would print a 6.667 x 8 inch image.

An image printed at such a much larger set of dimensions than the original work (1.667 x 2 inches at 300 ppi enlarged to 6.667 x 8 inches at 75 ppi) and such a reduced Resolution (75 ppi) is much less likely to be a high quality print.

Texture, sharp details, and color transitions could be affected because there's 1/4 the color information available in the 300 ppi image at the same dimensions in inches. It could also show pixelated edges along curves and angles because the pixels are four times larger than the pixels in the 300 ppi image at the same dimensions in inches.

Since this painting is already done, you might try resampling it to a larger size in inches (letting the software add more pixels to keep the Resolution, or ppi number ideally 300 ppi or at minimum 150 ppi if, hopefully, you did the painting at 300 ppi or 150 ppi at least), then sharpening a little before printing. Still, your software will have to guess what colors those extra pixels should be so there's no guarantee the print will be good quality. It's worth a try, though, and you might get lucky.

Good luck!

Skinny
04-26-2006, 06:01 AM
Lovely, Nancy! It's a bummer, but true that one will always spot mistakes the moment one calls it quits and posts. :cool: I have a whole folder of paintings that "I'll get back to...". I call it my "half-baked file". :lol:

nancy_ellen56
04-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks Jinny, yes I do paint at at least 300 pixels...after posting and asking my questions, I remembered that I would go back on some of my pictures and basically repaint them to get the sharper detail...sometimes my brain doesn't just snap to and I ask before I remember solutions to my delima...Think next one I will start at the size I want to print and go ahead and mess with the resizing for posting...nothing worthwhile ever comes easy...but I am happy with this one so it will be worth the extra time to go back and rework it...thanks again for taking the time to explain it to me...We do appreciate your experience and knowledge and your willingness to share it with the rest of us...I have learned more from WC than I ever did in private lessons...

Skinney,,,thanks so much for the compliment...One day, I will get all my unfinished out and finish them...lol..

LadyAlba
04-26-2006, 11:03 AM
I think it came out beautifully! ;o)
When I am doing one that I know is going to be printed out I start with a canvas (example...the paintings of the popes) 8X10 inches @ 400 dpi, that way I can really zoom in and work on areas and then when I print I don't loose any detail.

barryt
04-28-2006, 11:26 AM
I like that Nancy, except for too many dewdrops? If I use a ref image from the library, I immediately resize it to around 2000 pixels on one dimension or another and sharpen if necessary. When finished I resize back to 500 pixels wide using Resize, a mac only free app. But you could use the Photoshop facility to make a web image. I don't quite understand why people have such trouble.

nancy_ellen56
04-29-2006, 10:01 PM
thanks Lady Alba, I did rework this one and think it is much clearer now...but as murphy's law goes, my printer messed up so til I get it straight guess I don't have to worry about printing any...lol..although it is printing black and white and it looks much better in black and white than color...
Thanks Barry...I will try that some time...I think I am going to take this one to the real canvas...and I do agree too many dew drops...though it worked out great, I took the orig..just after watering the garden...

chaz
05-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Nancy:wave: . Glad to see yor're back painting again. I haven't been back here in over a year myself. I've been over in the acrylic, watercolor and drawing forums. I'll be posting hee myself shortly.

This is an excellent piece of work. Your dewdrops look just fine, and i really like the rich yellow of the iris. My favorite flower and you've done it justice. Don't stay away so long. :clap:

Chuck

justjean
05-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Lovely painting Nancy, I agree to many drops , I was painting at 600 x 500 also but for the last while I have been going anywhere from 1200 up at 200 then make a copy and resize to post on here :wave:

Yako
05-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Bravooooooo!!!!! i like that velvety look of the flower!:clap: :clap: :clap:

nancy_ellen56
05-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks chaz, jean, and yako, appreciate the compliments...was quite surprised at the finish myself considering how long it has been since I tried anything...maybe the real secret is not to push oneself so hard...thanks again...good to hear from all...

Smokin
05-02-2006, 05:56 PM
VERY nice Nacy, just saw it now, I love this one. You definelty havnt lost your touch.

nancy_ellen56
05-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks Smokin...Glad you liked it...Just back back from a week long road trip...took a lot of pics but the camera was messing up so if I got some good ones I will be posting in the RIL, to share....

Annie*M
05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Beautiful work and hope your photos turn out OK.:)