PDA

View Full Version : Tulips...

Yako
04-13-2006, 03:48 AM
From my imagination. Mainly oils, bleach and darken of painter ix :)

Jin
04-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Kareen,

I've been meaning to say this for a while and if I've already said it, it bears repeating.

You could sell your paintings, especially the more recent ones, as greeting cards and other kinds of printed things....t-shirts, plaques, coasters, and oh-boy what beautiful calendars they'd make!

Color, joy, creativity, and happiness keep bubbling up out of you and making the rest of us happy and joyful too.

If it might make you feel pressured, you could just keep on painting the way you are, but at large enough sizes and high enough resolution for printing. Then when you have a good collection (we'll tell you if they're good in case you don't already know), you'd be all ready to start selling.

There are online sites that do the printing for you and provide a place to sell also. They charge a fee but you'd still be paid and that could be a good start for moving on to something bigger and better (if that's what you want).

I know a lot of people who'd buy greeting cards and other things with paintings like yours printed on them.

We see greeting cards in stores that aren't half as nice as your paintings.

Okey dokey, I'll stop pushing you now. ;)

Just had to say it though.

I love this one, especially the textured brushstrokes on the orange flower. Just lovely!

P.S. Now please don't tell me you're already selling your work and I haven't noticed.... OK.. you can tell me. Not noticing isn't nearly as bad as missing the good news altogether. ;)

Skinny
04-13-2006, 06:32 AM
I second Jin's high appraisal of your recent work, Kareen! And it seems that you just keep getting better. Is it springtime that brings it out in you? Nah, you're going into the fall, right?

Yako
04-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Hey Jin and Kristen, wow! this was an unexpected compliment....You've made my day!

He! he! it's like you've heard my thoughts:D ....I've been thinking and commenting with my brother about that possibility...Also I've passed many times in front of a store that sells paintings by commission and haven't enough courage to enter and ask more details....It's just...It's funny...don't have much problem talking with people through a pc but talking to do that sort of things in reallity....well, it's a lot of effort for me....! (my knees tremble just thinking of it, it must be an informatic gene that got mixed up when God decided to create me!....:) )......

LadyAlba
04-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Beautiful paint strokes in this and hey Kareen...nothing ventured nothing gained...print out a bunch of samples and let your work speak for itself...kind of a portfolio. :thumbsup: :wave:

Jin
04-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Kareen,

How about this:

Send out a few postcards to different shops and galleries, with one or two small samples of your paintings on the front and a note of introduction on the back letting them know you'd like to meet and talk about selling your work on commission (just a brief note so they'll know your intention). If printing postcards is too large an expense, hand paint them yourself and hand sign them so each one will be unique..... a collector's item. Don't put in a lot of time in on the postcards, just enough to make a cheerful impression and give a hint of what your paintings will be like.

Wait a few days, then call to see if they received the postcards and make appointments to visit them and show your painting portfolio.

Now you know them and they know you before you meet in person.

Not so scary after all, for you.

Much more friendly for them.

When you go to meet them, take a few larger printed examples of your paintings (larger than on the post card samples and not too large to carry in your portfolio) and discuss selling some on commission. Or, if you don't want to print samples, choose one or two special matted or framed paintings you can carry with you, and do that instead.

If they growl at you on the phone, no excuse to quit. You'll know they wouldn't be much fun to meet in person anyway and you can go meet the next person!

My oh my, I am full of ideas for everyone else. ;)

Better go do some laundry and eat breakfast, then get some more work done... myself!

Happy Painting and Selling, Kareen. You'll charm them with your personality and have 'em smiling with your paintings.

TxAggieDarlin
04-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Another beauty........it seems you have found your "thing". You are doing beautiful work

JCoop
04-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Kareen... there you have it! You're friends are all in agreement. Swallow hard... and go forth.:)

Chiers
04-13-2006, 02:00 PM
I've passed many times in front of a store that sells paintings by commission and haven't enough courage to enter and ask more details....It's just...It's funny...don't have much problem talking with people through a pc but talking to do that sort of things in reallity....well, it's a lot of effort for me....! (my knees tremble just thinking of it, it must be an informatic gene that got mixed up when God decided to create me!....:) )......

Kareen I think many artists feel that way. It has always been a scary thought for me to approach anyone about selling my art. Fear of rejection I guess. The thing is, I know in my heart that it is totally unfounded. I have entered one juried art show in my life. I entered three pieces, and took home a second and a fourth place ribbon. I have sold many pieces to people who have come to me wanting to buy just because they have seen my work, not because I had it for sale. And I have entered work in two more, non juried shows, only because I was approached by those who put them on to exhibit my paintings, and sold at both of them. They were both one time affairs that only lasted for a few hrs.

Still, I was afraid to try to sell my work. So what I am trying to say is even though you have that fear, don't let it hold you back. It will pass with just minimal experiance. Don't wait until you are old like me and no longer really have that fear of rejection, but don't have the health and energy to pursue it. Next time you go by that store, don't go by, go in.

I would't put much faith in those online places that put your artwork on cards cups and the like though! I have talked with several people on line who have tried them without much success. And several really good artists with their own web sites who really don't do much as far as sales from the net. It does make an excellent showcase however. Having been a sales person for the last few yrs of my working experience I can vouch that there is no substitute for face to face contact.

del m
04-13-2006, 08:08 PM
good stuff.Don't put off today, what you think you can do tomorrow. Because tomorrow never comes.

Yako
04-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey! all that nice comments.....:o :) It will give me much more confidence to try to start doing something!.....Thks for all the useful advice.....It'll help me to take my first steps.....Thks Jin, Kristen, Marge, Aggie, Joel and Chiers...:) :) :) ..

well, there's a popular saying about this:

El que no se arriesga no cruza el rio....(If one doesn't take risks, doesn't cross the river)...:) :D

Yako
04-13-2006, 09:17 PM
good stuff.Don't put off today, what you think you can do tomorrow. Because tomorrow never comes.
Del, we must have posted at the same time.....Thks for the advice:)

omniartz
04-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Lovely work! I think your style is very definitive and would be liked by many. So much good advice here makes for interesting reading and encouragement! :)

crazymommy4
04-14-2006, 06:59 PM
your work is beautiful, listen to everyone. Take a deep breathe and go for it. WoW!! i'm impressed. Very nice work.