PDA

View Full Version : GOBLIN TREE wip part 1

W.J.Lexie
04-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Have you ever had or do have a place you go [ alone or with friends ]
or perhaps your children etc do , to use imagination / tell stories etc
it may be old fashioned, I hope some still do . [ I personally had and still visit
a small marina bridge at a lake where I grow up ] . It could be a park/playground or clubhouse ,even a room in your house , but I perfer something a bit more "magicial " fantasy like ,there is a popular ref photo
on this site that has that.
So Im thinking about this big ole tree and Im calling it "the goblin tree"
Ill be doing this as a experimental [ just for fun ] illustrated story thread
that maybe can evolve into a site prodject .
It will be stories in a story of some kids who come together at "the goblin
tree " and make up there fantasy stories .
your comments and sugestions will help , like should kids pretend to be goblins etc ? what kind of tree and were located ?
Im working up a sketchy drawing / painting of my vision now , to be posted
on thread part 2 by the weekend , this thread[# 1] can be for feedback while
the other [#2] can be used for the illustrations and story .
till than
stillbill

jess_hawk
04-12-2006, 02:34 AM
My brother and I had a tree we went to play at, it was by a little tiny stream that had a tiny waterfall over the tree's roots. I don't remember what kind it was, but probably some kind of oak or possibly a short, knobby cottonwood (there was a kingly cottonwood further along the stream when I was little, but it fell over in a big windstorm :() The stream was at the bottom of a gully and on the other side (as compared to the tree) was marshy. Another tree that comes to mind is a willow.

celticrichard
04-13-2006, 03:25 PM
there was a place next to the river in my village that i loved.it had a enormous stone and some steps through which a little river passed trough some dead thorns that didnt harm anymore,the light there was golden and green and in summer it was bliss to be there for now one of the most important passses ther were destroyed in the storm.they both lead to a kinda cliff that in the storm rendered down so i can find it again and not worry about peekers.

Axl
04-13-2006, 04:51 PM
This is an interesting idea bill! Thinking, that, for many of the kids in the city maybe they dont have their magical hiding spot, or the spots arent as easily found there when its nothing by allies and pavement. What is the magical tree was in their minds, and their imaginations brought them together. They think they are each others imaginary friends, when in reality they are all participating in the same, magical dream.

My little magical hide away has always been in my head.

celticrichard
04-13-2006, 05:11 PM
in my aswell

Xearius
04-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Ditto. I never had a place in the real world...

If the kids were in the city, I think it would be cool to have the magical getaway place on the top of an apartment complex. It would be ironic if all the lower streets and the surrounding area were dismal and representative of the worst corners of the populated world, but as soon as you get to the top of the apartment, the sky is bright and clear. There would be clotheslines all around with colorful fabrics hanging from them, creating an enclosed and secure feeling about the place, yet a playful feeling as well. The tree could be nothing more than a little potted tree, gnarly at the base, but with branches that spread out and are filled with greenery.

Huh? I'm ranting? Yeah, I guess I am. Well, I kinda lost my train of thought. Anyway, I like the idea and, uh, good luck.

WSTopDeck
04-14-2006, 03:05 AM
I didn't really have a place to go besides my head, but I did like to climb out my bedroom window and sit on the roof outside it. I'm satisfied pretty much anywhere my imagination takes me. :)

W.J.Lexie
04-14-2006, 02:56 PM
allright! , thanks guys,
That sure a help for my thoughts , as I work out the ideas and details of
this ilus/ story , Jess that really sounds cool , do you think about it or
want to return there ? The willow is my working choice right now , will
be posting what I have so far tonight .
Richard , that to sounds really cool , pretty and surreal, I like the steps
I love stone work in older parks .
Axl , I like that alot , It got me to some rethinking , I may not actually illustrate the kids at the tree itself , just illustrateing "their " stories based
on the tree .
Xearius , actually that sounds like a good idea for a childrens picturebook
in itself , you should try working that out .
WSTopdeck , Ah yes , the ole sitting out on the bedroom roof , we used to do that out the lake , but when I did that at my apt when I was in artschool in Pilly , the landlord [ he was a nice guy ,though ] yelled at me
:lol: !
till latter
stillbill afterall

Axl
04-14-2006, 05:29 PM
WSTopdeck , Ah yes , the ole sitting out on the bedroom roof , we used to do that out the lake , but when I did that at my apt when I was in artschool in Pilly , the landlord [ he was a nice guy ,though ] yelled at me
:lol: !
till latter
stillbill afterall

Aye, those landlords! Mine didn't like me using my back window as an entrance either. Or climing off the garage roof to exit through the back parking lot.

Pfffft. how unexciting is it when your stuck to using the front door.

W.J.Lexie
04-15-2006, 01:38 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2006/76157-PICT0044.JPG

Well , this is how its looking so far [ not a good cam shot , though , in
studio quick , new cam , want to get rid of date ,don't know about that thing]
This will be the front cover of the "book" , will have lettering -" The Goblin
tree " across top . Sound good ? May cut and paste the old way , but might
try ps or little of both , We'll see .

GOBLIN TREE GOBLIN TREE
HOME TO THE GOBLIN KIND
GATHER 'ROUND GATHER ' ROUND
SPOOKY THINGS OF THE GOBLIN KIND

til latter
stillbill

jess_hawk
04-17-2006, 07:38 PM
The couple who owned the "farm" where my bro and I would go to play died years ago now, and the farm has been split into lots on which houses are being built. The bottom of the gully is the only part that hasn't been messed with, but we can't go down there anymore because we don't know the people who own that lot. Someday soon, though, I will be looking for my own house, and I want a farmhouse with some land and lots of trees. I'm from a smallish city - so there's been places and places to go and hide, and places and places inside my head. For example, when I was in elementary school there was a bunch of big bushes at the end of the schoolyard, and in the center was a depression that always filled up with water and froze over the winter. All of the students would go there to pretend to ice skate (it wasn't big enough for that many kids to do much more than shuffle our feet) - but we had to avoid being caught by the teachers. It was a huge game for us. :) maybe a winter story idea could come from that?

Love the tree so far by the way, the lanterns are a nice touch. :D

I would go out on the roof outside my dorm window but: there's a $100 fine if you're caught on roofs or climbing buildings, and people throw things out of the windows upstairs. :(

Axl
04-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Bill this is cool! I love the colours, and the things hanging from the tree. If they are indeed lanterns, it might be nice to give them a bit of a glow!

Is this just the front cover? Or will it span across the entire front and back?

W.J.Lexie
04-18-2006, 02:18 AM
Jess , the first part of your post is
:crying: sad , I don't like that when they do that - sell out to developers,
it makes me mad:( :mad: , have you or anyone else read watership down ?
but the part about the game at school made me :) what fun !
Yeah and these there are so much rules and regulations:( , boy I could
rant and rave !
Its interesting you read my decorations as lanterns , perhaps they can
be "glow balls" , I do really like Japanesse prints and I see lanterns in there work .
Axl , thanks , yeah good idea with "lanterns" Ill try a trick or too with
airbrush [ though its proboly too late ] or maybe with ps , we'll see ,
did'nt get to this or my "gardener " oil this weekend .spring cleaning and
my bench .
Yeah and "the cover" I know the perportion is unusual , it will be the front
since there is no publisher to please , I can have artistic licence ,
so Ill be puttering around with it this week and have it ready for its thread
by weekend.
latter
stillbill

ps went bike riding to park on sun. for tree "watching" hhaa ha !

jess_hawk
04-18-2006, 02:56 AM
I watched a video of Watership Down once when I was little, it made me cry because I had a rabbit and I love animals... so I never read the book. Granted, I was probably in second grade at the time (I had a really high reading level). I could probably handle it now. I'll have to dig it out of my bookshelf sometime.

The good thing about the lots across the street is that the entire neighborhood basically got together and made sure that it was just going to be a few big, nice houses, not a whole developement. It was a huge pain, but in the end - I think they're putting five houses on the old hay field and possibly one on the back hill. The woods are in the gully and they aren't messing with that too much. Our herd of deer is very grateful.

Xearius
04-18-2006, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I read Watership Down...about four times. One of my favorite books. So great...

Anyway, this pic is lookin' pretty cool, stillbill. I really like the ambient haze and the washed out colors. It looks like a very old pic - perhaps like the memories of bygone days...

A big willow?

Well, it's looking sweet so far, and I look forward to the finished piece.

W.J.Lexie
04-20-2006, 01:42 AM
OK folks, heres what Im going to do so far about the story.
The kids ; about age 10 to 12 they are -Jimmy, his sister , Katie and her
best friend , a neighor , Ellen , Jimmy school friends , Sam and Will .
There is a large park near where they live just outside a small city, and
they like getting together and go there where , there is this big willow tree
down a sloping gully from were a ball field is. They "imagine " the tree to
be the one which I illustrated and sit around in under the canopy of the "real tree" , starting
with the chant they made up , they take turns in a challege of stories.
[ Mary Shelley created and wrote Frankenstein in such a challege with
her husband poet ,Shelley and poet Lord Byron !!!!]
Should be able to start illustrated story thread soon .
latter
stillbill

Tayara82
04-20-2006, 12:15 PM
That's a lovely idea, Bill (yes, I know I'm late) and that picture look really really great. I'd imagine that an awesome place to dream oneself into.

When I was a kid, my grandparents used to have a hazel hedge. The trees had grown pretty big and bushy over time, but inside of the hedge was an actual 'tunnel'. In summer, when the plants were covered in leaves it was impossible to look into that little hideout but it was big enough for my brother, me and a couple of friends to play games and have fun without being bothered by the adults. Maybe I should go and see if it's still there. o.O

W.J.Lexie
04-24-2006, 02:19 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2006/76157-PICT0046.JPG
OK ,This is pretty much it , just going to tinker abit more , and am
working on lettering for "cover " title , then will start illus story thread,
have interduction page written , and outline first story , kicking around
illus for it.
see ya then
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
04-29-2006, 09:41 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2006/76157-PICT0054.jpg
This is a alt. version of "book cover" just that I clicked poster edges in
photo shop [ I have ps 5 ] The lettering was done the acient way ,
actual physical cut and paste [ saveing the original art ] I outlined clear
vinyl , then ps air brushed fog mist inside letters , didn't know how it would work , it sure was interesting .

Resently I heard A story about a uncharted waterfall in {Ithink it was
yellowstone park} that was found out , some people knew about and it had
been their secret place , the park said they would only make a rough tail,to
be fair , keeping it semi secret:D .
latter
stillbill

jess_hawk
04-29-2006, 10:34 PM
I like the lettering and such but it seems to me that it looks more like it says "Goblin the tree." which would be cool, if you were going for Goblin: The Tree or some such... but that doesn't seem to be your goal. I like that story about the waterfall, its sweet:).

bluedaisy
04-29-2006, 11:40 PM
[Copied from the wrong place]{Your tree was beautiful before you put the letters on and darkened it. Have you thought about possibly adding a border around it and putting the letters in the border. As if it had a leather frame, maybe even with some tooling details around the edge. If it's a size issue you could shrink the tree picture just a bit to fit in a border. The title could even overlap the edge a bit without being so distracting. I apologize if my input is a bit tardy:o .}
And I'm very sorry for messing up your process:(
Your story is very pleasant. It reminds me of when My brothers and I used to play inside a couple of Large bushes that had grown together, then thinned out in the middle when the light couldn't get through. Maybe you could mention the change in "atmosphere" at the goblin tree.

Axl
04-30-2006, 03:27 AM
Looking for the Completed Project? CHECK THIS THREAD OUT HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343531)!!!!

Axl
04-30-2006, 03:28 AM
So I hope that I'm understanding this correctly, Bill... you're illustrating/writing a story for us over this forum, and you'll be posting the completed work in the other thread, and we're to comment/critique/brainstorm here?

:)

W.J.Lexie
04-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks Axl, yeah , thats what I was hopeing for , through I know that people
are free to post where even they wish , I was hopeing others would understand and respect that plan. I plan to post quick reminders after each "page" , I didn't think anyone would respond so quick { hhee hhee Im still at
the two finger each hand typing } and self proof reading , editing lol don't know , maybe it will work .
latter
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
05-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Lets see , update , got my w/c paper stretched , ready to go for first illus,
first story , first story is still sketchy in the ole noggon with some quick notes jotted down . but I know where its going . Up first Jimmy tells his story ,
about some trolls , actually one particular troll , in particular - the notorious
Hec Heckle, head keep of the troll toll bridge.
Thanks for comments , keeps my pipe smoking .
Jess , I was debateing in my head about that , maybe the reversal didnt come across so well as I wanted with the -the , probably a bit more tinkering would be nessisary , But I want that seethrough ghostly foggy floating to the lettering , Well it'll have to do , since its for fun and not publishing , and dew to limited time [will someone please invent a time stretcher ].
Bluedaisy , I don't think goblins would like a pretty tree , in fact I don't think its dark enough , which is a weak point , because I really like light and colour so much.
I feel the boarder would be a bit to "designy " for this particular piece , but imagine that an "inside " splash page would contain the tree without lettering.
OK ?
latter
stillbill

Axl
05-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Ok Understanding your decisions now on the darkening and changing of the tree! I think we were all just a little stunned when you went from something that seamed so light, happy, and whimsicle to the final version which is quite dark and spooky, but you make a very good point that that's exactly what goblins WOULD want!

Anyways, looking forward to seeing your next illos! Are you planning on doing these all out on watercolour paper, in watercolour? Or what media are you planning on using throughout

W.J.Lexie
05-11-2006, 01:06 AM
This is troll toll bridge under construction [ or I should say underdrawing ]
so far . It crosses over the swampy enchanted creek , the waters of opposites.
first story is now written down , just got to shape it up , want to keep it short and abit simple , will have four illus to it, then leave rest to the imagination.
Also using varity[experimenting] of media for illus

latter
stillbillhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2006/76157-DSC01039.JPG

jess_hawk
05-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Love the bridge, and I think the face on the side there is adorable. :)
:) I remember when I was little, when all of my cousins (at the time) were at my grandma's, we would play Three Billy Goats Gruff on this folding bench my grandma had. one of us would hide underneath and the others would climb across the top, and grandma would prompt us with the correct lines. I haven't heard that story in the longest time!

hdbart27fl
05-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi stillbill,
I'm so happy you're doing a story to go along with your pictures! I really thought that after seeing the "somewhere else" thread, you seriously need to get into children's book writing/illustrating (if you haven't already)! You'd be great at it!
I suggest reading Neil Gaiman's "Good Omens" for children's made-up games... the story centers around this group of kids, and it sucked me back into that mindset. You know, make-believe doesn't have to make sense, it just has to be fun... the rules can change halfway through....

W.J.Lexie
05-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks again for the comments , will keep in my thoughts.
well , got first couple illus done , the door , is tech pen on hp w/c paper ,
vignette 8in - 9in ,the town name sign , is graphite tech pencil , with chalk ,brown ,grey, green ,white highlights on ingres light grey toned paper [love those papers !] vignette 7in - 12in also tinkered in photoshop abit .
Now heres how the story starts [ think I will expand and refine before I post on the GT book thread ]

In the lands , known as Somewhere Else , off the beaten path into the darker side of the forest , in a little known corner , there alone stands a door.
Just a door ,an old worn weather beaten door, with no building nor fenceing attached to it. Carved into it is written "WELCOME " but hanging [not neatly nailed] under it a sign stating "IF YOU DARE" .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2006/76157-PICT0065.JPG

Well , you see , this is the entrance , to a village that a tribe of trolls have taken for their own , a place of mosses , molds , muds , and of bad smells,
their name for this dreary place is Grumbel Garble .http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2006/76157-PICT0064.JPG

thats about it for now
please comment
latter
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
05-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Latest update of troll toll bridge ,
the under drawing sketch is in , starting to work up paint , probably will wash in bac grd and touch up or heighten with airbrush and heighten inkline.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2006/76157-DSC01043.JPG

Latter
stillbill

Axl
05-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Bill, really love these 2 they are gorgeous!

Thanks again for the comments , will keep in my thoughts.
well , got first couple illus done , the door , is tech pen on hp w/c paper ,
vignette 8in - 9in ,the town name sign , is graphite tech pencil , with chalk ,brown ,grey, green ,white highlights on ingres light grey toned paper [love those papers !] vignette 7in - 12in also tinkered in photoshop abit .
Now heres how the story starts [ think I will expand and refine before I post on the GT book thread ]

In the lands , known as Somewhere Else , off the beaten path into the darker side of the forest , in a little known corner , there alone stands a door.
Just a door ,an old worn weather beaten door, with no building nor fenceing attached to it. Carved into it is written "WELCOME " but hanging [not neatly nailed] under it a sign stating "IF YOU DARE" .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2006/76157-PICT0065.JPG

Well , you see , this is the entrance , to a village that a tribe of trolls have taken for their own , a place of mosses , molds , muds , and of bad smells,
their name for this dreary place is Grumbel Garble .http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2006/76157-PICT0064.JPG

thats about it for now
please comment
latter
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
05-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks Axl !
Things keep coming together fairly well , allways something new "poping in" on my imagination , this just in -- the toll bridge is actually very long because the creek winds and weaves though out and its very swampy in some parts .
Well heres the bridge with the under painting done , just got to work on the details .....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2006/76157-PICT0070.JPG
this of coarse is done with w/c on hp w/c paper and with fine inkline work.
than Ill add some [actual physical ]airbrush effects ,then maybe - just maybe some ps fx.

later,
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
05-28-2006, 01:40 AM
The notorious Hec Heckle of Grumbel Garble [ a troll village in the darker side of the forest , off the beaten path of a land known as Somewhere Else] .
Head keep of the troll tollbridge .........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2006/76157-PICT0066.JPG
This is a sketchy drawing done with tech graphite pencil with crayola crayons some colored pencils on canson pea green chalk paper 14 in - 16 in
[ sorry for the blur , that cam ! it kindda changed his expression , its more nasty in actual ]

later
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
06-11-2006, 11:46 PM
UPDATE ;
Squeezed in some time to work on this prodject once again [ today ] did a little writting and some detail work on the toll bridge illus - here is ....

hhummm , illus uploaded , but didnt get in the reply , tried three times!!!

stillbill

guide ? monitor ? what happened ?

W.J.Lexie
06-11-2006, 11:59 PM
You see , to get to grumbel garble from the path down from the sign post , travelors have , I say have to cross the enchanted creek and swampy mess and that why the bridge was built [ how they did it , well thats a whole other story ] the bridge is actually very long .......

stillbill

Axl
06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Sorry bill, just try and upload them again in another reply! Are you sure they were the correct size and all that jazz? Maybe jut a glitch in the system.

Sorry on the lateness of my reply

W.J.Lexie
06-17-2006, 10:56 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2006/76157-DSC01057.JPG
AAhhh ! There we are . Will post a better shot with text on the "the goblin tree " thread soon .

stillbill

W.J.Lexie
06-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Okay , story update ,

page 3 something like this ;
one night , when hec was on duty , a traveler , who was on a mission to get some special mushrooms , from a troll whom is well reknown for her market trade in mushrooms [only grown in this part of the lands known as Somewheres Else ].
This traveler spent most of the wee hours haggleing with hec , the poor fellow got so worn down , that he turned back empty handed and with a loss of some of his own items as well .
Hec bellowed his horrible laughter so loud , it echoed all up and down the bridge and then back again , HUHHHARRR HARRR HHHARRR HAHHAAAHHAHHHA HUUHHHHHAAARRRAHAHHAAAHHHHAAHAHECHECHECAHARHARDYHAR HAHHAH,
something like that but even worse. And it weighed very heavy at the back of the traveler, so head hunched over he muttered and waved his fist at the toll bridge and troll village in general as he left .
So this traveler , you see , just happens to be the assistant for a masterful wizzard , who resides many a league from the troll village.
The wizzard was very upset about what happened to his assistant [for he needed those mushrooms for a prodject he was working on at the time] . So the wizzard morphed himself into that image of his assistant when he arrived at the door into the forest , where lies the troll village named Grumgle Garble .

comments? should I make an illus here ?

yours
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
07-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Next part still in sketchy notes , basicly starts like this;

Standing at the highest deck of his spiral towerhome , looking out over the valleylands . meditating on the troubles a idea came flashing red and blue , the wizard - Ars visu - then laughed a funny and warm laugher and smiled into the distant ...

the wizard morphed himself into the likeness of his assistant when he arrived at the door into the forest where trolls dwell ...

staying in the shadows of this overly strange and electricifing night until Hec Heckle took his shift at the toll tower { the wizard set a stort spell suppending time , making it a very slow night }

Being extemely bored by this hec was throwing stones at the owls and crushing bugs when the incognito wizard approached , hec brought out his lantern staff and stood still as a statue ........

Katies story is up next and I desided to do it as a story poem titled
" floria Moria , the flower eater " about a pesty fairie ..
will include a couple illus
yours
stillbill

ndinellh
07-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Love the story & the concept! :clap:

As a child, a similar aged girl (Martha, as I recall, - but it has been a looong time ago!) would visit next door & we would make up stories & act out the characters - witches, trolls, princess, etc. :p

The detail in your paintings is fantastic - it makes it very easy for me to lose myself in the story! :)

Am eagerly awaiting the next installment! :wave:

W.J.Lexie
07-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks ndinellh, keeps me thinking .:thumbsup:

Since its full out summer here in this part of the world, thought I'd change my avatar [ and profiles ] to something more fitting , its a detail from an early version of a piece I've done over a few times [ yeah one of those ] and since avatars are so small , I'll post this larger one here ; say this three times fast without twisting and your there ,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2006/76157-DSC01069.JPG

stillbill

W.J.Lexie
07-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Opening stanza to story poem by katie
FLORA MORA { the flower eater }
oh flora , oh flora mora
you funny little fairie thing
one can barely see you down there
inbetweenx the flowers fine
all bright colors you are
so much so that you must be a flower too
maybe it is so
because I heard a story of
long long ago
in that strange of strange lands
that is only known as
somewheres else

for now
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
07-19-2006, 11:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2006/76157-DSC01074.JPG ; before colour drop , pencil on w/c paper 10in - 12 in

Flora Mora in later years ,

a few lines working on;

that an young elven maiden
one day at play
wanted from the grown flowers
to dance while she sang olden elf songs
and to join her in fun games in the garden wonderous
so [ with a bit of elf-child simple magic ] she brought to shape

for now
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
07-23-2006, 02:05 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2006/76157-DSC01075.JPG A little bit blurry this time [was in a hurry ] "dropped" the color ; man , that was alotta fun !

heres a close up --http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2006/76157-DSC01076.JPG

and heres a later illus actually #3 out of 4 for the story poem. #2 is still in ruff ruff . #4 still floating in my mind--http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2006/76157-DSC01077.JPG just started the w/c painting after photoed.

later
stillbill

Swaggertoes
07-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Oh this is fuuuuuun! It brings out the Swaggertoes in me...(which, btw is my troll name) Oh, thanks for sharing this with us!!

W.J.Lexie
07-26-2006, 12:41 AM
A troll you are eh ,swaggertoes,
well welcome [if you dare ] to the fant/sci /fi forums then and thanks for enjoying my "experiment" into writting/ illustrating a "storybook" .
and haveing fun is part of the deal !

yours
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
07-26-2006, 01:50 AM
I think I got the first part of the story poem down to were I like it ,the poetic flow is still a little jagged , don't have time for total refinment as it is just experimental and to help me as a learning tool for my other [actual] storybook.

here it is;
FLORA MORA {the flower eater}
Oh Flora , Oh Flora Mora
you funny little fairie thing
can anyone notice you there
down in beteenx the flowers fair
all bright in the light beams
of the solar powers that be
the colors you share with
peddles and blooms of all sorts
are so much so alike that maybe
may be that you are a flower also
{ because ya know }
I heard a tale told that of long long ago
in a strange world beyonder
a world of strange things[ to me anyways ]
there is a land that is known only as
Somewheres Else

that this tale is of an elven maiden
when in her childhood
one day at play in open fields of wild flowers
and flowing streams amiss the great oaks and willows
this elf child wanted of those flowers[ twitching in the breazes]
to really dance while she sang
elven songs of love and romance
to come and join her in fun games
amongest wonderious garden designs

so she brought to shape
a small creature
and with simple charms of elve magic
gave puppet life to this tangle and weave
of grass , peddle and leaf from the finery
of tended gardens [ no less that of the grand castle yards ]

Oh, what fun , Oh, what , joy
never a dull day , where there is many
a graceful things to do
such as making flowery fashion chains
and adorning them into young elven lass's
hair arrays
and the plucking at rose peddles
for those, love me and love me not games
of fictional love affairs..........

later
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
07-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Color comes to 3rd illus [ 2nd is in layout form]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2006/76157-PICT0077.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2006/76157-PICT0078.JPG OH FUN, OH JOY, NEVER A DULL DAY
WHEN THERE IS MANY A GRACEFUL THING TO DO
SUCH AS MAKING FLOWERY FASHION CHAINS
AND ADORNING THEM IN YOUNG ELVEN LASS'S HAIRARRAYS

LATER
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
07-29-2006, 11:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2006/76157-DSC01078.JPG
This is the craft doll the young elf maiden made , before the magic . she dubed her "flora " the Mora came later by the other faeries in and around the gardens .

close uphttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2006/76157-DSC01079.JPG

later
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
07-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Heres were things get a little bittersweet

though finally came the day for a young maiden's
real love and courtly romance
a time to wed and bring forth a new branch in family trees
and off she went to a home in the palace maze
{ cosily nestled in rolling hillsides }
caught up in swirls of courtly lifestyles
with socials of all types
receptions and recitials abounding
and oh the celibrations and the like
leaving behind ,forgotten ,left lonely in the flower field
a small and friendly creature of flowery kind
so thy lovely faerie creature took up to nippleing
at greenery steems and vines
and found them tasty to a delite
prehaps to forget a lonely state
oh woe , elf lass has not come to play
where hast thou elven maiden gone ?
gone away , dear , goneaway to join the star spirits ?
will thou fair elf return and thy happy to play
at flower games once again ?

for now
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
08-03-2006, 11:28 PM
will thou fair elf friend return and make thy flower faerie happy
for to play at floral games once again ?
rich in purfumes and sweet [ uumm sweet ] honeys
colours bright and wonderful !
or come no more and think not of once grand days
in deep and wide flower fields ?
tears come tears go
{ faerie tears , of star sparkles and jewel dust
sad faces some , some glad faces
flow they on winds to find
open ears to whisper into }
yet this slender fairie of leaf an peddle
loves this free life so

maybe chewing on stems and leaves
will give thyself strengh to carry on ?

although at first
she was of green skin and thinly
later came a change
to tones of yellow
{ for the fondness of tasty
dandy dandiloins }
and she did gain and grow to be plum
the bees do not bother either
she has small charms to keep them distant
so as it is , the tale is told
it has not much more to say [ of those days ]
only to say , time passed on and on
that the floral fairie creature
over lengthy time , forgot , of the beginings
and found aquintinence s
in many other creatures of forest kind
a world beyond courtyard flower bowers ............

for now
stillbill

W.J.Lexie
08-29-2006, 03:08 AM
OK , getting settled into my new place , should be able to work on the final illus for Katies storie poem this weekend but here Ill post the rest of poem -

so nowadays its like this
oh flora mora
[ as your fellow lost creatures
of the wilderness call you]
they say say they
" more flowers , more flowers for
the flower eater , flora , yea , flora mora
you are " they chant and tease !
but she laughs and wants to hear
of gossip stories and rumor news
[ especially from the gypsy fearies
who travel far an wide ]
cause long are your years
so is true of your ears
tell me she says
of the trolls
those trolls of the emfame tollbridge
tell me , she demands [as she nibbles ]
of the mysterious goblin tree
in yonder misty fields
tell me she whispers [ as she chews ]
of the night sky mare and maiden

so is all this talk - the fire
for gobbling of flowers galore
planting seeds , as you ,flora , feed upon
throwing them to and fro
for new blooms to grow
looking [ always] and searching for fresher
ground to till
next weeks eats? snack on grass and weeds?
with all those fearie friends in the trees
and among the mosses and stonework
giggle they will as they watch you devour flower
and sing , oh that flora mora is here again
with chewing sounds you make
munching and lunching everywhere
night and day , day to day
stopping only for the socials
at garden gates and fences

so is that you down there
in swaying of wild flowers I see
and in those flowery brambles
along rushing river waters
maybe its you back in there
making a mess of rose vines
going ? coming ? playing ? snacking ?
I think , its best to leave you be
and let you "tend" the flowers
with your strange and wonderous ways
[ for you see to it that there is allways
more flowers to enjoy ! ]
WJL 8/29/06

FINISH

rcollege
08-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Looks good Bill!
I think its getting your message and intention across well!

W.J.Lexie
09-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks RCollege !
Well heres the 4th illus for the flora mora poem story , though Im not desided on the painting of it yet , Ill think about it for a day or two then paint it up and post it in the goblin tree thread .
Im working up ideas for the next story which is Wills -working title is - the adventure of how Willie found the sillies , that is Willies band that is the houseband at the "mosaic Dragon " .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2006/76157-DSC01095.JPG

W.J.Lexie
09-09-2006, 10:21 PM
colour verson 1http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2006/76157-DSC01097.JPG that is, through photoshop twink

W.J.Lexie
09-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Since long as I remember the Willie silly's been playing as the house band at the Mosiac Dragon [ the mosiac dragon is the famed ale house in the very heart of the land known as Somewhere's Else , some even say it is the heart and minds eye of Somewhere's Else , the creative spirit of , well we won't tell that yet ] but just how or when it all started is not to often revealed , so not to fret my friendly folks we shell hear the story from Willy himself , the tale of an adventure to find the right band members .........

there is this island in the grand waterways of the great coastline , the isle of tallgrasses but is named the sevenmazes for it is made as seven cirular mazes and many creatures with magical artistic ablities reside there ........

I have scribbles of suchplace[ looks like madmans treasure map , so you don't wanna see ] once I work it up abit Ill post --stillbill

W.J.Lexie
09-24-2006, 10:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2006/76157-DSC01101.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2006/76157-DSC01102.JPG
A couple of close ups [hope its readable ] from map of Sevenmazes Isle aka Island of tall grasses for there are no trees there only heavy thick grasses is very versatile as building material as well as eatable fruit and veg ...........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2006/76157-DSC01104.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2006/76157-DSC01100.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2006/76157-DSC01105.JPG
NOTE : Sevenmazes is a FLOATING Island which makes it hard to find , now legends have it as being made out of a fossil of a very ancient giant sea creature but some say [especially the gossiping faeries ] that it is actually a crashed flying " machine " from a star in the night sky that fell down when no one was looking .

continued.......

W.J.Lexie
10-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Okay. got a chance to sit down and write some words down........

This is the story of Willy Tindersmoak , a easygoing dwellercreature , searching for answers , yet he is always the spark for something wonderful.
Since Willy was a youngtser , fooling around in the sidestreets and alleyways of the city called - Nowherebuthere in the lands of Somewheres Else, he wanted to be a leader of a really cool [like way cool ] music band , well first of coarse he had yet to learn to play , yes Willy daydreamer , but some dreams come true , anyways he did and when he did , Willy became quite the troubadour . With a very popular song early on , he was on his way , this song which is called "the goblin tree" goes something like this
[ starts out as a whisper ]
Down in the misty field
wander there , you should yield
for there is a ghostly tree which we are awear
that host a door to the goblin lear
one hears the snickers they outpour
from down under the trunks very core
well it goes on and on like thatgrowing louder till the last line is a outright uproar stomp.
So a troubadour he became traveling all about [ sometimes with gypsy elves] the lands of Somewheres Else , singings songs, reading out poems , to Elves in grand palaces upon rolling hills, to fearies and the like creatures of the wildflower fields and wide forests , even to the trolls of Grumbel Garble.
Yet he thought to fulfill his dreams of a realy cool [like way cool ]band , but where , could he find such a thing.
One very dreary chilly day , he stepped into the "the mosaic dragon " an amazing hall where all the creatures and peoples of the city known as Nowherebuthere stop into from time to time. Willy realized than and there that the the mosaic dragon was the place to host a house band and by golly gee he would do it , with a name already in his minds eye , he'd call it the Willy Sillies. Now on this very nasty weather day [ which was turning into night ]he happened to be standing next to some visiting creatures from the big waters [the oceans of Somewheres Else ] they were talking all about this mysterious isle an island of tallgrasses aka Sevenmazes whish is even more stranger.......

TBC

W.J.Lexie
10-28-2006, 10:01 PM
So he became a troubadour , traveling all around the lands of Somewheres Else , singing out songs and reading out poetry ........http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2006/76157-DSC01110.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2006/76157-DSC01111.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2006/76157-DSC01112.JPG

small pencil drawing 9 by 12 , [ not quite finished ] the problems I have with it is the jester type cap , kinda looks like a werid elephant , and the trees are abit too much the same girth , so some reworking is on order.

W.J.Lexie
11-08-2006, 02:48 AM
So , says one to the other," yea , ya never know when and where that Isle gonna show up ! Jus som time ago I's out way afar in the waters , when , if darn , it hadn't rye 't than and theres show'd up befor'd me eye ! " [ he is a one eye'd creature ] He continued , " First a great mist arose an thens I's bump rye't into it ! An acomin ashore , I's met up with a fellar there , an hes there abuildin a great big ole statue made of sand an he sez ,'' " This my good fellow , is my lattest"" an I sez "" yous lattest what ? "" an , an , he sez , "" my lattest work , you know you should stop by more often . Ha Ha yea rye't !"
Than the other one spoke up saying "Ah , I know whada ya mean , I herd all this gossip bout the goins on between them an the queen watermaid , an ya wha shes like , he he , don't know , but maybe som troubled waters ahead for them , if I's herd rye't ! har har ". And they both went into a long laugh.
At that point , Willy moved away , He had to think about where he could find a map [ if there was any ] of Sevenmazes Isle , for he needed to know where he was going when he found the Isle . He heard also from the Big Waters creatures , how artisticly crazy the Isle was ,so surely he'd find his nutty musicians there , if anywhere .
Well , he thought and thought , and than , just as his head was falling to the table , he stopped and stood up quickly and shouted ," Ah yeah ! " He remembered the time he was out on a gateway pier entertaining the water people and there on the pathway to the pier was this little pub inside a carved out giant log [ the local lore has it that was washed down to the big waters from some far off river ] This pub was named Spicket , and Willy remembered seeing many maps pinned to the walls for decoration [ and target practise too ] . so soon, there he was , and with some fast talking and a few playful tunes , he got himself a map of Sevenmazes Isle .

ILLUSTRATIONS OF MAP HERE
Now all he needed was a sailboat and yes a dragonbird .................

NOTE: a dragonbird is NOT a dragon with bird wings , but rather a large bird with a long snakelike neck with some fins and horns and a long wide bill , it can fly many different ways and has far reaching eyes. lllus pending ......

W.J.Lexie
11-24-2006, 06:33 PM
........ now all he needed was a sailboat and a Dragonbird ....
a Dragonbird ? Well now a Dragonbird looks like this.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2006/76157-DSC01149.JPG
[quick sketch 7in by 7/half in., mech pencil ]
though they vary quite abit , because they are very unique for legend has it that BeJewel 's father made [a gift for her , when she was a child ] them from wood ,gems silver and gold , thats why they are very special to her .

"Ah Ha " says Willy , "I know just the person to see" and he headed down the coastal road to where a wonderfully built tower made of coloured stones , stood tall looking out over the Big waters . This is the home of BeJewel , singer / dancer extraordinary , one of the few enchanted elves , she is the keeper of the few rare Dragonbirds and so by living by the Big Waters BeJewel sails a beautifully built sailboat.
So Willy Tindersmoak is thinking , : well Im going to have to make this sound good" as he came up in a huff , for he jogged most of the way , a good days jog it was , he had gotten a ride to the pub on a dilivery coach the driver being a fan of Willy , the driver had to return to Nowherebuthere.

But all he had to do was play a very long and fanciful version of "The Goblin Tree " and I say if you were there , you wouldn't beleive you were , for it was very magical , she danced and danced and they sung many new verses...
tbc..

W.J.Lexie
11-24-2006, 06:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2006/76157-DSC01151.JPG she danced and danced and they sung new verses .

W.J.Lexie
11-26-2006, 12:42 AM
some where out in the vast Big Waters , Sevenmazes Isle is navigating towards the frosted lands to build a ice amplithreatre will Willy be able to find it ? stay tuned .

bliss
11-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Hiya bill, lovely stories. Hey, I have an idea, would you be open to suggestion? :rolleyes: I do have an idea for a story that sorta came to me in a dream, but since I can't write and certainly can't draw as well as you, I wondered if maybe you could take my idea and fill it in with words,:) you know, flesh it out with details? :evil: And draw pictures to go with it. Well at least do the cover art.:wave: Whaddya say? I won't wait for your answer - I'll just lay it all out right here and you can decide later. It's about a peasant girl who meets and falls in love with a knight but unbeknownst to her, there are magical forces in the kingdom in which she lives. So, ya know, she's just sittin' around one day and along comes a traveling theatre group. Actors, but not just actors. This troupe is headed by the notorious magicians, Elite Warlok and Leonardo Crow. They go into villages and disquise themselves as ordinary people and find a naive girl to play jokes on. You might say they like to make her the butt of their jokes.:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: Anyways, the group gets together on the day of their arrival in the village and Warlock and Crow do a reading of crystal runes to find the most sensitive and vulnerable and naive girl that lives in the village. This day, they announce to the troupe that they have found her - her name is Isabel and she is in love with a knight. In shining armour no less. :heart:

"Hee hee Mua ha ha". Says Warlok. "We've found her. Now down to work."
So they make a spell that enables them to hypnotize her with gentle words - words disguised as the words a friend would speak. So they go out and befriend her and have all manner of conversation, gathering as much information about her, which she eventually gives freely thinking they're her friends and all, but all the while, each word they say is hypnotizing her into a deep waking sleep and each word she says is being recorded by a scribe behind a tree for use at a later time. Then the fun begins. Isabel is hypnotized so they all laugh and play and have such gaity and fun, oh all kinds of dancing and singing and eating and playing. Yeah, fun to be sure and all the while, Isabel thinks she is awake. But it's something like fairy glamour. You know what I mean. Anyway, one day she comes to her senses and realizes she had a spell cast upon her, and thinking back, remembers that before all of this happened she had a life and was in love with a handsome and wonderful knight. And she found him again, though he didn't know she had been hypnotized. He knew she had been behaving strangely, but stayed with her and held her hand and calmed her fears, he never left her side because no matter what he loved her and she loved him and that love was the power that broke the spell Warlok and Crow and the magical actors had cast. :clap:

Whaddya think? Deal or deal breaker?

bliss

bliss
11-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Oh, I forgot to add, the two lovers moved from the village where all that took place to a kingdom known as "realworldia".

W.J.Lexie
11-28-2006, 08:08 PM
well that quite the little story there bliss , but im not very good at illustrating others stories[ probily due to my own imagination being in the way] unless it was something that I picked out.
Also thanks for enjoying my illus story [ doing this experimentally ].
btw - were you not dreaming , but daydreaming maybe ?

W.J.Lexie
11-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Oh, I forgot to add, the two lovers moved from the village where all that took place to a kingdom known as "realworldia".
:lol: :lol: thats funny , like another way of saying -- now stop all this foolishness, get married ,have kids etc .[ even if [[she]] didn't want too ].:lol: :lol:

bliss
11-28-2006, 08:44 PM
well that quite the little story there bliss , but im not very good at illustrating others stories[ probily due to my own imagination being in the way] unless it was something that I picked out.
Also thanks for enjoying my illus story [ doing this experimentally ].
btw - were you not dreaming , but daydreaming maybe ?
Well, no deal I guess. No, wasn't quite daydreaming either - more like a hypnagogic kinda thing. Thanks for reading and replying anyway.

bliss
11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
:lol: :lol: thats funny , like another way of saying -- now stop all this foolishness, get married ,have kids etc .[ even if [[she]] didn't want too ].:lol: :lol:
No I don't think so.

Torie
11-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Hiya bill, lovely stories. Hey, I have an idea, would you be open to suggestion? :rolleyes: I do have an idea for a story that sorta came to me in a dream, but since I can't write and certainly can't draw as well as you, I wondered if maybe you could take my idea and fill it in with words,:) you know, flesh it out with details? :evil: And draw pictures to go with it. Well at least do the cover art.:wave: Whaddya say? I won't wait for your answer - I'll just lay it all out right here and you can decide later. It's about a peasant girl who meets and falls in love with a knight but unbeknownst to her, there are magical forces in the kingdom in which she lives. So, ya know, she's just sittin' around one day and along comes a traveling theatre group. Actors, but not just actors. This troupe is headed by the notorious magicians, Elite Warlok and Leonardo Crow. They go into villages and disquise themselves as ordinary people and find a naive girl to play jokes on. You might say they like to make her the butt of their jokes.:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: Anyways, the group gets together on the day of their arrival in the village and Warlock and Crow do a reading of crystal runes to find the most sensitive and vulnerable and naive girl that lives in the village. This day, they announce to the troupe that they have found her - her name is Isabel and she is in love with a knight. In shining armour no less. :heart:

"Hee hee Mua ha ha". Says Warlok. "We've found her. Now down to work."
So they make a spell that enables them to hypnotize her with gentle words - words disguised as the words a friend would speak. So they go out and befriend her and have all manner of conversation, gathering as much information about her, which she eventually gives freely thinking they're her friends and all, but all the while, each word they say is hypnotizing her into a deep waking sleep and each word she says is being recorded by a scribe behind a tree for use at a later time. Then the fun begins. Isabel is hypnotized so they all laugh and play and have such gaity and fun, oh all kinds of dancing and singing and eating and playing. Yeah, fun to be sure and all the while, Isabel thinks she is awake. But it's something like fairy glamour. You know what I mean. Anyway, one day she comes to her senses and realizes she had a spell cast upon her, and thinking back, remembers that before all of this happened she had a life and was in love with a handsome and wonderful knight. And she found him again, though he didn't know she had been hypnotized. He knew she had been behaving strangely, but stayed with her and held her hand and calmed her fears, he never left her side because no matter what he loved her and she loved him and that love was the power that broke the spell Warlok and Crow and the magical actors had cast. :clap:

Whaddya think? Deal or deal breaker?

bliss
Wow! What a story.

Victor.

W.J.Lexie
11-29-2006, 08:42 PM
well, torie , maybe ya can help bliss out on that . in the mean time I gotta work out the next part of ' D ' story but that ole "realworldia " place got me at a slow pace , yet I'll show em . hhee hhee .
til next post , sleep tight , an watch out fer those strange things that go bump in D night !

bliss
11-29-2006, 09:47 PM
What's 'D'?

W.J.Lexie
12-01-2006, 08:19 PM
For bliss[ as pm requested ]

DUH- 'D' THE THE
SLANG USAGE BEFOOLS ME
SENDS ME AWAY TO THINK
I SHOULD GO TO SEE THE GRAMMER SHRINK
I MAY SEEM VAGUE
LIKEN 'D' HAGUE -/ - THE HAGUE
JOAN 'D' ARC BUT WILLY 'D' FOOL
SHOULD GO ON BACK TO SCHOOL
AND NOT SO BEFUDDLE FORUM READER
ABOUT HUMORIOUSLY BEING A LITERATE CHEATER

bliss
12-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks and sorry for the misunderstanding.

W.J.Lexie
12-02-2006, 09:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2006/76157-DSC01152.JPG DRAGONBIRDhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2006/76157-DSC01153.JPG DRAGONBIRD AT NIGHT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The music was so enchanting that many friendly living creatures were so entranced that they gathered around partaking and enjoying the magical music . And when the final stomp of the ending chorus of "the goblin Tree" came to be , everyone laughed and cheered for long afterwords .
Now when the excitment calmed down and all the creatures disbanded , Willy told BeJewel his story and all about his quest to put together a cool [ a way cool !] house band at " The Mosaic Dragon " . Well she just loved the idea and so she did grant him the use of her sailboat , though she had to think about , lending out a dragonbird [ for she could not go along , because of many comittments ] .
BeJewel went to the highest tower of her home and gazed out into the far distant waters and after some thoughts said these words[a charm] to the dragonbird perched out on a railing .
OH, DRAGONBIRD BE SAFE AND SWIFT
AND FIND THE MYSTERY ISLAND SOMEPLACE ADRIFT
TO GIVE THE SEEKER HIS DREAM
GOOD NATURED HE IS, I DEEM
AND WHEN YOU FIND THE MAZE
RETURN TO ME AS ALLWAYS
The dragonbird repeated the verse, but in song and then flew down to the sailboat where Willy was waiting along with a sailing companion , a neighbor friend of BeJewels .
....... tbc........

bayoudragon
12-03-2006, 12:31 PM
oooh, stillbill, that is gorgeous!

W.J.Lexie
12-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Thank you , BD .

W.J.Lexie
12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Played around with this a bit in photoshop trying to get more of a woodcut look [ a like the pencil only in original , but couldn't get a good digi photo]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2006/76157-DSC01148.JPG

W.J.Lexie
12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Dragonbird flew much distance out upon the Big Waters , seeking out the Isle , but not long into the sailing jorney , the Dragonbird brought Willy into the domain of the mermaid spirit....
She was hard to see for the sun was high and brightly shinning off the water, yet she was very large [ though only her head was out of water ] so that there was no missing her , she is of water greens , glistoning as of green jewels....
SSSSTOPPP , the waves seemed to speak out,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2006/76157-DSC01155.JPG
.... with a echoing vibevoto voice then she spoke --"Where in MY waters are the land creatures sailing ? Oh, land creature should stay upons their airy places , and be grateful for the waters that feed the skies with water drops !
But Willy with a smile , did not speak out right off , but first sung this song;
Oh , lady of the Big Water great
I know of your mighty power
pleace aid me in my quest fate
and be not so dour
I know of a place , Sevenmazes .......
But when he said Sevenmazes she blew a wave which nearly capsized the boat.
"WOO ! " she bellowed with a shake of her webbed fist , " those pesty cafters allways disturbing the ways of water .........
-tbc-

Bendaini
12-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Oh please tell me you're planning on putting this all in a book, these pictures are beautiful, and the stories are charming.

I use to play on a small cliff in our yard. I dug caves in the side inches tall and made up strories of a kingdom and an evil dragon... I've always wanted to write it but it gets pushed back behind all my other projects...

W.J.Lexie
12-12-2006, 08:35 PM
thanks for the kind word, Bendaini , thanks also for shareing apart of your childhood , perhaps we "throw away " our [ fantasy] imagination in our teens to say we are grown up and that we should no longer "play" , but thats when alot of trouble begins. yet we don't have to , like those who take up acting in plays and writing and drawing ,[ doesn't allways have to be about money] also we can always [think about those things] but most people deside to let the pros [ movie tv etc ] do it for them .
Yes I have another story sitting around in notebooks ,[ I may use some ideas from this in that] that I'd like to get published [ though , publishers are like a brickwall ] as I say before this story is more of a learning tool for myself and if it may help others .

Bendaini
12-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes I have another story sitting around in notebooks ,[ I may use some ideas from this in that] that I'd like to get published [ though , publishers are like a brickwall ] as I say before this story is more of a learning tool for myself and if it may help others .

Oh, they seem like a brick wall, but they aren't as bad as all that if you have a REALLY good piece of work, and your art work... how could it not be good in a childrens story. I've done it, I bet you can too ;)

W.J.Lexie
12-26-2006, 11:13 AM
OK , cool . thanks , Bendaini , for the advice ,and encouragment, when Im done with this Goblin Tree experiment product , will focus on looking into publishers for other works Im working on [ the goblin tree should be a help ].

W.J.Lexie
12-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Dragonbird flew much distance out upon the Big Waters , seeking out the Isle , but not long into the sailing jorney , the Dragonbird brought Willy into the domain of the mermaid spirit....
She was hard to see for the sun was high and brightly shinning off the water, yet she was very large [ though only her head was out of water ] so that there was no missing her , she is of water greens , glistoning as of green jewels....
SSSSTOPPP , the waves seemed to speak out,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2006/76157-DSC01155.JPG
.... with a echoing vibevoto voice then she spoke --"Where in MY waters are the land creatures sailing ? Oh, land creature should stay upons their airy places , and be grateful for the waters that feed the skies with water drops !
But Willy with a smile , did not speak out right off , but first sung this song;
Oh , lady of the Big Water great
I know of your mighty power
pleace aid me in my quest fate
and be not so dour
I know of a place , Sevenmazes .......
But when he said Sevenmazes she blew a wave which nearly capsized the boat.
"WOO ! " she bellowed with a shake of her webbed fist , " those pesty cafters allways disturbing the ways of water .........
-tbc-

"Oh, Fair lady of the waters great , please hear me out !" Willy cried out,
" Theres no mischief in there ways , they are just a free -spirited group of creatures , Inspiration hits them and they need to respond , this is not so bad
as it seems , because they just get caught up in there crafts and don't notice where there going ".
"Ha !" she angerly laughed out , " I take notice and do not like it , why not four full shinning night stones ago [ the world of Somewheres Else is encircled with a broken moon and is illumiated one night every month by the night - mare {{ thats another story }} ],Sevenmazes crashed into a grand parade above my palace under the waters "!
He thought maybe she was just abit enivious of their artistic ways , but he said this ; " Yeah , that sounds bad on their part ". Willy had to think , he can be quite the peace maker , he continued ; " Well , if you guide me to where they are now, we can work out a communications between , so you know what there whimms may be , come fair Water maiden , we will talk to them !
So her anger calmed down and she said , "O kay , I will tow you within sight of where they are now , but it is a little chilly for Sevenmazes is now off the coast of the frosted lands ".

NOTE: illustration of watermaiden and boat pending , maybe post tonight .

W.J.Lexie
12-26-2006, 09:55 PM
OK here we are ... illustration for.......

Okay I will tow you within sight of where they are now..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2006/76157-PICT0085.JPG PEN AND INK VERSIONhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2006/76157-DSC01172.JPG W/C WASH OVER [ digi cam didn't want to get color as is orginal , so it s abit diff].http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2006/76157-DSC01173.JPG WITH SOME PHOTOSHOP FX

W.J.Lexie
01-01-2007, 05:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2007/76157-PICT0092.JPG Sevenmazes Isle [aka the island of tall grasses] at the frosted lands. digiphoto 1

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2007/76157-PICT0093.JPG digiphoto 2 with some photoshop fx [smart blur] just can't get colours same as original .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2007/76157-PICT0096.JPG digiphoto 3 close-up detail.
MICRON PEN ON CARCOAL PAPER WITH PASTAL TINTING AND TOUCHES OF WHITE ACRYLIC PAINT . [ hhee hhee what would a publisher do with me .]
note : legends say sevenmazes is still a liveing creature , maybe thats reason its allways warm within there.

W.J.Lexie
01-07-2007, 12:05 AM
the amphitheater made by the habitat's of Sevenmazes Ilse:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2007/76157-PICT0098.JPG
micron pen on printmaking paper about 13 by 19 with watercolour highlights plus photoshop 'artistic' clicks version 1

W.J.Lexie
01-07-2007, 02:41 AM
I'm learning , I'm learning , I see why publishers would want many rewrites , just when it seem as though right , there is realization that something is missing or something can be moved around .

W.J.Lexie
01-17-2007, 12:25 AM
This story got me going [ I feel I could expand and expand] , trying keep short , well heres the next part........

Dragonbird departed for home , with many thanks from Willy and his deckhand also a wave from the waterspirit maid who was much delited by the dragonbird which helped set her in a better mood, so off again was Willy.
When in a short while , they were near to the Sevenmazes isle , Willy quickly grabbed his map.
"Ah there it is at last" he exclaimed, while the watermaid disappeared beneath the surface of the waters saying "I'll be here , I'll be watching ,and waiting ".
They then came to dock at the nearest launch and so came upon there first encounter with some inhabitants . Willy told his deckhand , whos name is Root , just plain Root that is , to stay with the boat . Suddenly from all about came many fluddering tiny faerie creatures whispering and giggling and pointing at Willy . Willy smiled his bright smile , seeing the comedy in all this "I wonder I wonder " says he " Hey can you point me the way to the directors quarters ? but all they did was to fludder and giggle more, then they quickly formed a funny arrow then disappeared . So with map under his arm and his musical instrument on his back Willy set off for the closest maze inticated on the map most interesting he found the maze to be.
The grasses were thick and strong , the colors varied and smelled pleasent, the path was very well maintained . Then he heard it , a sound of a flute and it reminded him of those tiny faerie creatures for it was a fluddering music ,so he strummed along as he walked closer to the sound , around the next turn a sight to behold.
Sitting right in the middle of the path was a winged [ the wings were gently swaying to the music] creature wearing a loose flowing gown and a sillie hat, she looked up and said [ inbetween notes ] "MY my and who's playing that wonderful music ?"
"Well my name is Willy Tindersmoak and I think I found an answer ."
"An answer ! Whats the question ?"
" That will have to wait , actually I'm looking for the director......"
"Willy Tindersmoak , er oh I like it. Sounds like a legend , but I'm just little ole Flutterbly , yes little ole Flutterbly , thats me ."
Willy , you just follow me now for we are about to try out our newest prodject the ice crystal ampletheater and to the sound of flute and lute they headed off .

to be continued.......

JayD
01-17-2007, 01:14 AM
I would come over and kick you if you DONT put this in a book but we virtual people have no feet! Serously, this is very good and you should develpe it inot a graphic novel. Sorry to but in but I saw the word Goblin and I had to jump in!

W.J.Lexie
01-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey jayD thanks for the [ hhee hhee , well put ] encouragement ! actually[ for those new to the forum] the orginized version is here on site, its just called - the goblin tree - if you do a search it'll come up and you'll see it [ my intentions were for people to post feedback in this wip and not mix in with the full orginized version] the wip is where I can work out the story and illustrations then post in the orginized 'mock up' .Im experimenting the illus with working as small and 'simple' as I can,[ most of my artwork is large and complex] if this were a serious consideration for publishing , the art would have to be much worked on same as the writing ,
Yeah[ no apologies], comments, special/secret places welcome. Goblins and goblins trees are out there on google , the internet age is great , lets one know whether or not if they are doing something simular thats been done or published ,so its helpful for future publishing possiblities .
Graphic novel - thats a er 'novel' idea , but thats a real lotta work I couldn't do that many little drawings , but I think it would be neat to see Charles Vess do it as a graphic novel !

W.J.Lexie
01-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Heres the last part of the Willy Tindersmoak story , will have two more illustrations to go with it [ should be able to get those by next weekend .]

Flutterbly continuely told Willy funny little stories of the happenings at Sevenmazes [ including their run ins with the water maid ] without Willy being able to get a single word in anywhich way all while they weaved there way though the maze they were in .
But soon the path widened out and Willy saw some very wildly colourful buildings made in strange constructions , he could see them over the tops of the tall grasses of the maze . Flutterbly just kept on talking though as they entered the village of Sevenmazes , they call their village ; High Point .As they stepped in Willy was very amazed , for there was crafting of all sorts going on all around , there was bustling about ,and laughter with chatter filled High Point's oddly arranged streets.
" Oh" says Flutterbly "it's not allways this frantic , its just that everyone is excited , we're restlessly ready to go on the Frosted lands for the show at ice crystal amphitheater. We're waiting for the word from the director ".....
"YEAH" Willy interupted , "That's who I want to talk to , there's a very important issue concerning the water maid .... " he trailed off because just at that moment the director emerged out from the top most building of High Point .
Now this director was very old [ a bit forgetful at times , just a bit though ] but he is a delight and yet he is steadfast about his directing . I say this because he seemed a bit lost in thought , pacing about on a stair landing , so Willy desided he'd go over there to introduce himself , but just then a drumbeat started up , BOOM - A - BOOM it went , BOOM - A - BOOM , yet it was from down under the village and then everyone got quiet . In time to the beat ,the director , whos actual name is 'D' , spoke up saying " Hear ye , hear ye , it is now fully ready ! The ice crystal amphitheater is ready , with a performance by Sevenmazes very own ' The Band of Fools ' and not only that but a very special guest" , pointing out Willy "Yes you Willy Tindersmoak "!
You know , remember those tiny fearie creatures at the dock , they just love speading news about , and they can get about in a wink of the ole eye , yes they can . So at that moment everyones eyes in the village were now on Willy and he , with a shocked look upon his face said "Well, 'D' , I'm very honored I will surely do my best" !
And so the director side by side with Willy and Flutterbly lead the way down to the shore where a arched bridge carved from ice connected Sevenmazes with the frosted lands.
Well now ,you know, that drumbeat [which is actually the drum circle lead by Boing Bongo , drummer extraordiare] gave Willy a great idea . He talked with 'D' about it along the way and right there and then a resolve of the commuication issue was made. This was the plan; they would devise a sound code with the drum beats and it would come out from several sound holes at the bottom of the isle , sending out messages to the water maid and she could respond with a shell horn [ a very large one at that !] The shell horn would be finely crafted by crafters of Sevenmazes and given as a tolken gift at the end of the ice crystal show. So an invite was quickly sent out to the water maid[who was swimming just out of view of the isle , waiting for Willy's return] to join them for the show.
And so here is where this tale of adventure ends , for the show went on , in what we shall say in a way cool way through all that starry night .
Fin

EPILOGUE ;
Now that is how Willy met his 'Band of Fools' which became ' The Willy Sillies ' a way cool band ! Yet 'D' didn't want to lose the Band of Fools which he was very fond of so the 'deal' was that they must return every now and then for a reunion show at the ice crystal amphitheater .
The Willy Sillies are;
WILLY TINDERSMOAK - singer , lute player, poetic words
FLUTTERBLY - flute , funny little stories
SLINKEE - fiddle, hurdy gurdy, funny noises
BOING BONGO - drums of all kinds in all ways

W.J.Lexie
02-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Did a quick drawing today of the director,and messed around in photoshop a bit , think I'll colour the original and mess around in photoshop again and see what happens , then I'll work up a scene of the 'band' and be able to post in the " the goblin tree ' book thread . and put together Ellen's short tale of how the moon gets 'broken'.
'because at that moment the director emerged out from the top most building of High Point .'http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/76157-DSC01184.JPG

W.J.Lexie
02-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Coloured version ;' because at that moment the director emerged out from the top most building of high point 'http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2007/76157-DSC01191.JPG
Final illustration ; 'the band' - Willy Sillieshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2007/76157-DSC01192.JPG version 1http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2007/76157-DSC01193.JPG

Ellen's story is up next [ and ready to go ]

Lynxes123
02-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Bill you created pure magic here and I am off to do a search for your goblin tree now! I hope you are going to publish this with all your wonderful artwork, wow!! :thumbsup: Speaking of 'magic' places, we had an old shallow creek when I was a teen living in Kentucky. It was usually shallow enough to drive through in the summer and get to the other side. The bottom of it is covered in millions of flat rocks, perfect for skipping across the water. There was this old dead hollow tree stump on the far side of the bank. It is filled to the top with rocks (you can see them in this photo) as so many people through the years have thrown rocks across the creek trying to get them into the opening. When we visited last summer I got a picture and it's hard to belive that old tree stump is still standing! You can see the rocks on the bottom through the water. I still feel 'magic' every time I visit this creek! :cool:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/21044-old_stump.jpg

W.J.Lexie
02-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks Lynxes123, for the nice comments and for for shareing your 'magic' place , sounds like a great place to go when troubled about something [or someone] plus just the 'finds'[ like seeing new life springing out of the old death , which I see in your picture] that may be there , when I'm hiking around Im always looking into trees, stones water falls and water pools , its great !

W.J.Lexie
02-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Here's an alt version of night mare and rider [ was just messing around in photo shop ]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/76157-DSC01572.jpg
Ellens story ' How the moon was broken ' and the mission of the night mare is finished and posted in the- goblin tree- thread book
and so Im now working on the last story which is Sams story , it is titled - Where IS the goblin tree ?

W.J.Lexie
02-20-2007, 12:30 AM
SAMS STORY - Where IS the Goblin Tree ?
Introduction
------------
The child reached up, stretching out a small but sure hand, fingers were stretching even more , reaching for 'the book'. Standing on tiptoes [ which anyone should not do!] on the finely made wooden latter of the library. The book , that curious book that the child wondered about , many times , looking up at it there , way way up on the very top shelf of the high ceiling library , old old uncles library , in his big old old house away up on the hill top . That curious book , a very large book , bound with thick worked dark leather inlayed with pearls and gems , burgandy velvet marker ribbins and shinny brass plating with a title engraved as " Of All Things".
The child's fingers , worked the book loose from the shelf but the child's hand was to small to grasp it , then strangely the book seemly moved on its own and it fell from the high shelf down to the floor with a oddly soft thud .
Even more odd was that it fell very slow moton as if time itself slowed , colours and sparkles swirled around , whispers , giggles , tinker bells , chims were heard and then the child felt dizzy.
Just than an old but still strong mans arm and hand reached up and caught the child from falling and gracefully set the child down . The old old uncle closed the book and locked it in a stained glass cabinet.
"Easy , easy child , that is no book for a child to face alone, but stories from it I will tell , speak child , what would you like to know about ?"
"Uncle " said the child , "Where IS the goblin tree ?"

W.J.Lexie
02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Once upon a time on the world of Somewheres Else , a youthful magician in the awkward teen years who was a bit shy and somewhat bumbling wanted to make his own little kingdom . He'd be the king and have subjects to rule and no one would tell him what to do . It always seemed [to him anyway] as if it was that way in which his elders treated him , which really wasn't the case .
His name is Oudustse [ pronounced - Od ust see ] , Oudy for short. What Oudy didn't understand was that his elders were just teaching him the right ways to work the right magic , they didn't want him to make bad judgments and make bad mistakes , yet it was to happen anyway , because he was not lessoning to their wisdom.
So one night Oudy snuck up to the 'vine of creativity' which grows upon the wisdom wall along the halls of wizards . With a quick swipe he cut a leaf and seedling from it and put in a small sack attached to his waistbelt , just then a whisper from the wall said " no no , you're making a mistake , mischief begets mischief" but Oudy heeded not.
Now he went far out away from everything else, bringing with him many bells and whistles of the magical kind he set out the potions and insences and than as usual he tripped over his staff wand in the proceedings. Black birds of different species circled the sky above in the early morning just before dawning of the day , as he layed out his book of magic tricks.
His idea was to make a golden tree and golden little creatures would live there and Oudy would be their king , they would obey his orders and do as he wished . They would perform funny little tricks and entertain him when ever he wanted it. So he got out the small velvet sack and dumped out the leaf and seedling onto the ground within the symbol he scribed there and then he quickly wrote down the incantation.
What he MEANT to write was;
golden tree , golden tree
come to be
right here where I plant
golden creatures with happy smiles
to make tricks with funny styles
right here where I plant
But he mis spelled golden into goblin and something came into being that would cause much trouble in the land of somewheres Else , he had brought into being the goblin tree , the home of the goblin kin.

W.J.Lexie
02-24-2007, 11:10 PM
ART TRAGEDY [ HOPEFULLY NOT]
I HAVE BEEN PUTTING THIS OFF , TILL I GOT WORD, BUT I HAVEN'T YET.
ANYWAY , THE WINTER SNOW STORM WE HAD HERE ON THE 14TH WAS NOT ONE OF THE BEAUTIFUL ONES BUT AN UGLY ONE , A WINTERLY MIX AS THEY CALL IT [ YOU MAY HAVE HEARD IT ON NATIONAL NEWS ABOUT ALL THE STRANDED MOTORIST ON THE INTERSTATES WHICH THERE STILL IS ISSUES GOING ON HEARINGS ETC.] IT WAS BITTERLY COLD WITH WIND AS IT SNOWED THEN A SLIGHT WARM UP TO MAKE SLEET/ICE RAIN THEN BACK TO SNOW , MAKING SNOW VERY HEAVY , BAD THINGS HAPPEN LIKE ROOFS GIVING , WELL A BRANCH LIBRARY HAD THAT HAPPEN TO IT [ IT HAPPENED WHEN NO ONE WAS THERE], THAT BRANCH LIBRARY IS THE ONE WHERE I [HAD?] TWO OF MY ARTWORKS , IN THE PART THAT COLAPSED , GUESS WHAT ? THE VERY SAME PIECE THAT THIS STORY IS BASED ON - SOMEWHERES ELSE - THE FIRST POST IN THREAD-http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330171&highlight=dancers
AKA MOSAIC DRAGON .
I MAY HAVE BEEN LUCKY AND HAVE NO DAMAGE , IT WAS HARD TO REACH THE DIRECTOR , I DID GET A MESSAGE TO HIM THROUGH THE LIBRARY SYSTEM AND SENT AN E-MAIL. RESEIVED E-MAIL BACK[LAST TUESDAY] THAT HE WOULD GET BACK TO ME ABOUT THE ARTWORK LATTER IN WEEK , BUT HAVEN'T SO FAR SO IM WAITING . HAVE BEEN BY THE BUILDING , ITS HARD TO TELL IF WORK SURVIVED I DID NOT INSURE IT AND I DON'T KNOW IF THEIR INSURANCE COVERS IT.
THIS AN EXAMPLE OF THE ODD THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO ME , A SIDE NOTE ALSO ,A AMPLETHREATER ALSO COLAPLSED , ISN'T IT WERID BUT ITS JUST ANOTHER ODD THING WITH ME PREMONITIONS PRECOGNITIONS [ I WAS SHOCKED HEARING IN PANS LABRINTH ABOUT SEVEN CIRCLAR MAZES]
ANYWAY I HAVE ALL THE STUDIES AND SKETCHES PLUS FILM PHOTOS DIGI PHOTOS SLIDES AND WET CANVAS THREAD , IF IT IS DISTROYED I WILL DO A NEW VERSION AS BIG AS- ' GATEWAY TO FAERIETALE LAND' .

TracyN
02-25-2007, 12:07 AM
I read your original post and then scrolled down so my answer wouldn't be colored by other replies...

When I was about 10, several friends and I built a clubhouse out on the marshes (hard to get-to place, hard to find place).

We literally built a room with windows (covered with clear plastic). It was our secret place. We would meet there and talk about all sorts of things there. And we would actually bbq hotdogs LOL. We even dressed it up with cheap plastic fencing which we stole from neighbor yards. We managed to keep it a secret place for about 2 years before bullies discovered it.

It's a major happy childhood memory of mine. Our hidden club house. It was our ultimate secret and we loved it.

Another childhood memory involves a tree...It was the perfect climbing tree! And some family left a mattress behind when we moved into a house...we situated the mattress under a branch of the tree and spent hours jumping out of the tree onto the mattress.

I say let kids be kids. They'll find their own way via personal experiences with their friends.

I know that I'll never forget mine.

W.J.Lexie
02-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks TracyN , for sharing your /friends 'place' and building one of your own , thats even better ! and sharing your thoughts , and climbing trees , yes, great fun , and it's great to revisit whether in your head or actual .

W.J.Lexie
02-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Okay , I've been varying the art style's and trying to keep them simple , fun , yet consistent and so another idea I got is to use a tarot card style ,two story illus. 9 in by 12in set in a 'card' frame work . One intro illus. more open12in by 12in pen stlyle and one in same size as story illus [ 9 by 12] and that one is the 'book' binder . so pen work on drawing paper with colour pencil
and photo shop manipulations.

Story continued with illustration;

The seedling sprung up very quikly as the sun made it's appearence and when the sun saw the tree growing , it frowned down upon the sapling and Oudy as well . Oudy felt so ashamed , yet he still was not fully aware of his mistake and what was to be.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2007/76157-DSC01216.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2007/76157-DSC01217.JPG black and white ink versionhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2007/76157-DSC01219.JPG colour version one

The tree was not golden at all , but a mossy moldy dark green , as it grew more and more , the branches became willowy and they were hanging with shaggy mosses and it got a ghostly pale green grey mist about it. Oudy tried many spells , charms to reverse it , but it was to late , what comes to be , comes to be and consqences have to be dealt with.
Then an even more shocking event happened , a hole opened up at the bottom of the trunk and out of the hole appeared the goblin creatures . Snickering , sneering they were and they mocked at Oudy saying "tell us tell us , tell us what to do , it MUST be fun 'n' games , it MUST be bad , Oh , tricks to play and trouble to make !
And these creatures were not at all golden , but like the tree were of muddy greens and they had the nastiest grins. Everything Oudy told them to do , they mocked and turned to doing nasty tricks of there own desire , but he would make counter measures and correct the goblins mischievios deeds. Soon though , things got out of hand and they overwelmed him and scattered , going of into the lands causing much havoc and mayham in their pathes.
Oudy would have to go to the hall of wizards and admit to his foolishness in order to get help in solving his mess which meant he'd be punished for it .
He would be no coward about it and take what it would take to make a right out of a wrong and surely he learned an important lesson out of it , so he dashed off to the great hall of wizards and found the elders waiting for him , of course by now they knew all about what unfolded in the early morning of that gloomy day....................

to be continued

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2007/76157-DSC01221.JPG black and white version 'the book' "Of All Things" - concerning the goblin tree

W.J.Lexie
03-07-2007, 02:23 AM
A couple different versions of 'the Book' OFF ALL THINGS concerning the goblin treehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2007/76157-DSC01227.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2007/76157-DSC01228.JPG
9in by 12 in pen , colour pencil , a bit of oil pastel ,on drawing paper with photoshop fx

W.J.Lexie
03-14-2007, 12:53 AM
Illustration of 'the book' "OF ALL THINGS concerning the goblin tree " on the shelf............http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/76157-DSC01232.JPG close up version 1

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/76157-DSC01233.JPG ' the book' on shelf . pen drawing on drawing paper 12 in by 12 in

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/76157-DSC01234.JPG close up of ' Of all Things' book on shelf pen drawing enhanced with photo shop of tricks .

W.J.Lexie
03-14-2007, 01:39 AM
The elders, though it pained them so , questioned Oudy harshly through out the very long day and in the evening they went up into the great council chambers and worked out some magic of their own and weighed out the judgment and punishment.
the magic the elders made was done to keep all the goblins together as a group so that none could ever stray far from the others and be bounded to their tree and cannot stray far from that either. But the goblins eventually loopholed that by tunneling deep into the ground , though they found they couldn't surface anywhere else.
The punishment on young Oudy , was he now had to maintane all the mischief the goblins do , correcting the touble they cause , until he earns his wisdom and learns a way to resolve the whole mess.
Ages later , it came to pass , for Oudustee mastered his learning , becameing at last a wizard , befriending and helping many in his earned relm in the lands of somewheres else . Most noteable was befriending the king of the louds of clouds. Working out a problem among the trolls of Grumbel Garble , enjoying the company of faeries and elves , prefroming simple magic tricks at the mosaic dragon . His magicans name Oudustee , he out grew when he became a wizard and his name was then Oddis Sea.................

to be contiuned.............

W.J.Lexie
03-14-2007, 01:55 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2007/76157-DSC01235.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2007/76157-DSC01237.JPG

W.J.Lexie
03-23-2007, 01:05 AM
So now we come to these days when the time came for his greatest challenge , to resolve his youthful mistake because it was very upsetting when the goblins pulled their worst stunt to date . It was with the breaking up of the moon in which Oddis Sea sent a vision out to night-mare for aid in correcting most disasterious mischief of all their time. He had to turnaround a very nasty deed , though hard work it would be.
The goblins had after that event and with the singhing of their tree by the sun had gone deep into the ground , hiding and keeping low for awhile. Yet they still were causeing mischief by creating unwanted steams and mist to sprout out of the ground. When Oddis Sea checked into this and found the goblin tree empty he brought out his most highly important wizards notebook titled " Of All Things concerning the goblin tree" , dipped his finely crafted drafting pen made by the great crafters of Seven mazes isle , into his mystical ink and drew the tree into the notebook , actually drawing it into the book . Every line he drew onto the page , it erased that line from the world .
Not so long that he was done that the goblins appeared out from the ground beneath his feet and then began running circles about Oddis Sea's blue mantal cloak .
" WHERES THE GOBLIN TREE , WHERES THE GOBLIN TREE " they ranted and raved as they ran around and around , Oddis Sea opened the book waved his hand above it with an enchantment , the goblins went faster and faster into a blurring speed shrinking smaller and smaller and with a final flash went into the goblin tree in the wizards notebook and he shut it tight and lockd the latch.
FINISH

EPLOGUE ;
Somewhere in a wizards tower high in the clouds in a finely guilded cabinet among many , many bric a brac there is a book ; a curious book .

W.J.Lexie
03-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Wow , its been almost a whole year now since I started this experiment and it really has helped me [ along with all the encouragement ] into getting back to storytelling , and now doing some illustrating along with it as well [ those were my strongest points in both elementary and high school years and well known for it]. Man it was hard though [stage fright] reading storys in front of class rooms. It has help me see new things along the way for my story on hold that I will seek to get published . When I started this thread I had no idea were it would go [ I had just a few ideas and fragments ] but I'm real happy about it , So THANKS EVERYONE !

tazzers2007
04-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Wow absolutly stunning, this is so amazing . You have a lot of great talent glad that you have shared with us.:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :D :D

W.J.Lexie
04-07-2007, 01:17 PM
thanks much, tassers, Computer problems will be away for a bit !

W.J.Lexie
04-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I might be able to make A book [ one book at least] of this though iphoto , I hope to also use this as a portfolio effert at a convention .

W.J.Lexie
05-04-2007, 08:49 PM
AH yes I'm back online , will be able to rap this project up now and move on to other exciting 'stuff' !

W.J.Lexie
05-05-2007, 11:28 PM
ART TRAGEDY [ HOPEFULLY NOT]
I HAVE BEEN PUTTING THIS OFF , TILL I GOT WORD, BUT I HAVEN'T YET.
ANYWAY , THE WINTER SNOW STORM WE HAD HERE ON THE 14TH WAS NOT ONE OF THE BEAUTIFUL ONES BUT AN UGLY ONE , A WINTERLY MIX AS THEY CALL IT [ YOU MAY HAVE HEARD IT ON NATIONAL NEWS ABOUT ALL THE STRANDED MOTORIST ON THE INTERSTATES WHICH THERE STILL IS ISSUES GOING ON HEARINGS ETC.] IT WAS BITTERLY COLD WITH WIND AS IT SNOWED THEN A SLIGHT WARM UP TO MAKE SLEET/ICE RAIN THEN BACK TO SNOW , MAKING SNOW VERY HEAVY , BAD THINGS HAPPEN LIKE ROOFS GIVING , WELL A BRANCH LIBRARY HAD THAT HAPPEN TO IT [ IT HAPPENED WHEN NO ONE WAS THERE], THAT BRANCH LIBRARY IS THE ONE WHERE I [HAD?] TWO OF MY ARTWORKS , IN THE PART THAT COLAPSED , GUESS WHAT ? THE VERY SAME PIECE THAT THIS STORY IS BASED ON - SOMEWHERES ELSE - THE FIRST POST IN THREAD-http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330171&highlight=dancers
AKA MOSAIC DRAGON .
I MAY HAVE BEEN LUCKY AND HAVE NO DAMAGE , IT WAS HARD TO REACH THE DIRECTOR , I DID GET A MESSAGE TO HIM THROUGH THE LIBRARY SYSTEM AND SENT AN E-MAIL. RESEIVED E-MAIL BACK[LAST TUESDAY] THAT HE WOULD GET BACK TO ME ABOUT THE ARTWORK LATTER IN WEEK , BUT HAVEN'T SO FAR SO IM WAITING . HAVE BEEN BY THE BUILDING , ITS HARD TO TELL IF WORK SURVIVED I DID NOT INSURE IT AND I DON'T KNOW IF THEIR INSURANCE COVERS IT.
THIS AN EXAMPLE OF THE ODD THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO ME , A SIDE NOTE ALSO ,A AMPLETHREATER ALSO COLAPLSED , ISN'T IT WERID BUT ITS JUST ANOTHER ODD THING WITH ME PREMONITIONS PRECOGNITIONS [ I WAS SHOCKED HEARING IN PANS LABRINTH ABOUT SEVEN CIRCLAR MAZES]
ANYWAY I HAVE ALL THE STUDIES AND SKETCHES PLUS FILM PHOTOS DIGI PHOTOS SLIDES AND WET CANVAS THREAD , IF IT IS DISTROYED I WILL DO A NEW VERSION AS BIG AS- ' GATEWAY TO FAERIETALE LAND' .
GOOD NEWS UPDATE , turned out my work was not damaged , and they still want to hang on to those pieces ,[ they are placed in the childerns wing which was not damaged] yet they are unaware of all that as come from that piece [ the goblin tree story ] So now I'll have to let them know how all this came about , if I ever get this printed up[placed right there on the library shelf] it'll make a good local news story .

W.J.Lexie
05-13-2007, 02:27 PM
And so.... This concludes my illustrated story experiment , I hope it was enjoyed as was by me [which surely it seems]

special thanks go out to
WET CANVAS
AXL
BD
and to those that replied with their own little stories and encouragements !:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) :wink2: :wave:

prariepainter
06-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I have a tree just like that outside my front room window, minus the little door. I like secret places! When I was a kid, we lived in a huge farmhouse that had a big crawl space under it. that was my favorite place to hide and watch the world outside and daydream. My Mama said not to go under there because that was the cats litter box. I guess that was that funny smell, but I didn't mind because I was only six years old. lol!