PDA

View Full Version : Week 15 Classical Art Journey

bjs0704
04-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

We're on Week 15 of the Art Journey! Nickel's away! She's out of town! So, I'm starting the thread this week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2006/11410-robin_eating_worm_lg_nwm.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing what you are up to!

Barb:cat:

tyree
04-10-2006, 08:02 AM
:wave: barb...thank you for hosting this week, while nickel is away eating cookies!!! i like the early bird eating the green worm!!!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2006/65063-maid2.jpg Edouard Manet..A Bar at the Folies-Bergere..1881-1882....I have sketched this barmaid before, and never been able to capture her detachment or attitude of melancholy...not sure why because thats what ive done for a living for the past 25 yrs:lol: if youve never checked this painting out...take a look at the left corner for the dangling legs!!! tyree

bjs0704
04-10-2006, 01:44 PM
tyree - The girl in your drawing has gorgeous eyes!

I know how hard it is to copy masterpieces. Somehow, they always get a life of their own!

Good going!

Barb Solomon:cat:

rosebard
04-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi Susan, you fast! I hope to not be out of the journey this week. I have tons of things I want to do. But oh well.

Anyway, lovely pencil work. I can see that she is certainly not very excited about her life. I think you did capture it. :)

bjs0704
04-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Hiya, Rose! I hope that you get a chance to give it a try! :wave:

Best wishes,

Fish<><
04-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Barb - Thanks so much for kicking this week off! :thumbsup:

Tyree - Darn you! How do you do this so fast?!?!? :lol: I think she HAS that bit of detatchment look about her. Great work!

Rose - Hope to see you with something this week, but I can understand the feeling of having to much other stuff going on too.

My madhouse of a week is over so hopefully I can be a little more "artsy" this week. I've gotta a WIP going inspired by Victor Hugo (1802-1885). I don't know a lot about this particular artist as of yet but my reference/inspiration can be found at the ARC (http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/art.asp?aid=3479).

rosebard
04-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Hey Keith she is week ahead of us I guess. Good girl and good for her. :)
Wow that piece is really something Keith. Good luck. :)

For me not sure. Maybe I will paint a tea cup from Latour. Should be fun. :)

PushingPixels
04-11-2006, 05:29 PM
tyree - The girl in your drawing has gorgeous eyes!

I agree wee, wee very french no cherrie...? and beautiful eyes, I always admire tyee's ability with those eyes :)

good drawing tyree.

tyree
04-11-2006, 08:46 PM
thanks everyone!!!!:o im enjoying this thread so very much, guess thats why i have one done so quickly every week!!! tyree:wave:

PushingPixels
04-11-2006, 10:24 PM
You inspired me Tyree! I thought I'd add a Spanish Lady for week 15. She is done by Fansisco Goya and titled Senora Sabasa Garcia around 1808
original here
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2006/44004-goya-week15original.jpg

mine here
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2006/44004-goya-week15.jpg

Fish<><
04-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Pixel - Great drawing! Another nice portrait for the week!

Here's my offering for this week. After Victor Hugo's "A Castle in a Fantastic Landscape." Mine is mixed media (ink underdrawing, watercolor washes, and hard pastels on top), about 11 x 11.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2006/54332-15_Hugo.jpg

More to come on Hugo if I can find something.

bjs0704
04-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Hi Keith - I never knew that Victor Hugo did art! What an interesting piece! Good luck with it!:thumbsup:

Interesting texture in your final drawing! Good going!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rose - I like the idea of one of Latour’s teacups! He did such everything so well!:thumbsup:

Barbara - Good job on Goya’s spanish lady!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Fish<><
04-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Barb - I really did not know he was an artist either, but after a little research, I am in awe at his work.

Hugo created over 4000 drawings and paintings according to some of the resources I've found. Seems most were just sketches and/or journal entries. Check this site out for some really interesting info: http://www.mishabittleston.com/artists/victor_hugo/

I think I have a new favorite! Victor Hugo was a creative in every sese of the word and his artwork appears to be more of 20th century contemporary works that were created in the 1800's.

bjs0704
04-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Keith - He does many things that are more common in 20th century art than in 19th century art. Still, his subject matter is more romantic.

Great discovery!

rosebard
04-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Barbara nice nice!! :)

Keith it turned out cool! :) Such a cool info too. Gosh that guy really were busy bee. :)

AriadneArts
04-12-2006, 12:43 PM
First of all, Barb, thanks for hosting this week's project. Love your 'robin feeding on the lawn' animation. That's how my lawn is looking this week. The robins are back and I am happy to wake to their song every morning now. Usually one pair nests on the sill of my back door transom. Last year, I made the sill a little wider for them and they built a fine nest and had three babies. This year, I have to be sure and wash the window so I can get better pix of the chicks' wide open "feed me, feed me" beaks, from the other side of the window where I'm less detectable.

Tyree, I love your Manet study. She has a lot of life and her face is beautiful. Love the B/W, too. Fine work!

Pixels, lovely B/W study of Goya. He was/is one of my favorites.

Keith, very nice study of Victor Hugo. Guess I did know he painted and did a few other things.

Fine start to the week. Although, I haven't a clue what I'm doing yet.

My husband is here and in trying to help is more or less driving me crazy instead. I miss him when he goes back to California, but right now, with my back as bad as it is, and as 'helpful' as he's trying to be (but isn't really--'A' for effort, though), I'm half the time counting the days till next Monday when he flies back to California and I can have some peace. Makes me feel guilty, but that's just how it is. I'm on like four (count 'em) different drugs, which make my head feel wierd, and my stomach feel worse and I'm in pain 24/7. It is getting better, though. But I'd sure like some real peace and quiet.

Hard to create art under these circumstances. Yesterday, I was doing a still life in cps of tulips which I had purchased in a pot. They were beautiful. He walked by and accidently knocked over the tulips, breaking all but four. That kind of took the wind out of the sails for my "relaxing, healing" art break....... Oh, well. He does the best he can, I guess. :rolleyes:

If I can't get it together better this week, I'll just have to wait till next week and he's gone (and I'll be hosting). ;)

tyree
04-12-2006, 09:45 PM
barb...i love this painting, and youve done a wonderful rendition of her, i always felt a sadness to her, which youve portrayed nicely.....keith...what a great haunting painting like the texture and colour, nice job!!!! tyree:clap: :wave:

tyree
04-12-2006, 09:49 PM
eileen....wow...you poor thing, what a week for you,,,and i thought my cold was bad enough:crying: keep up your spirits and repot those tulips:lol: take much care....tyree:wave:

bjs0704
04-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Eileen - Thanks! It is good to see the robins again! How cool! Good luck getting those baby robin pictures!

Hope things get better for you!

PushingPixels
04-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Well Fish I must say that I love your rendition of the Castle. Goes right along with a Gothic neo vampire book I'm reading. I've never heard of this artist before and the link you provided was very enjoyable. I think I may try his method of letting my imagination draw out whats there. No pun intended...Very interesting reading and quite an odd man.

rhysyllanfair
04-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Good morning, fellow classic lovers:

I fell behind last week working on too many WC projects. I'm currently trying my hand at this thread, a classic still life, self-portrait, and a plein air piece, jumping from one to another. All are fun but I'm not sure if this is the most productive working style.

To catch up, I wanted to indulge my interest in the mini-landscapes you find in lots of Renaissance portraits and figurative paintings. Many of them are very beautiful paintings in their own right. I chose the attached detail of Lorenzo Costa's Portrait of a Cardinal in his Study. You can find the original of the whole work here:

http://www.artsmia.org/collection/search/art.cfm?id=1784

I'm not sure of the story behind this painting, but it certainly resonates on this Good Friday. I'm not sure I chose the best cropping, but here's my effort.As always, comments and criticism are welcome.

Robert http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2006/49654-Landscape.JPG

bjs0704
04-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Barbara - That sounds like a great book!

Robert - It’s so easy to get involved with so many projects. Your landscape is absolutely lovely! Perfect for this time of year!

That is a really lovely old portrait of a cardinal, the portrait of St. Jerome and the landscape is really unusual.

I love how delicate your landscape looks! Perfect for early spring!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

PushingPixels
04-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Robert... very very nice landscape. I like everything about it. The colors are yummy the composition is excellent. I can almost see the sheep grazing in the back 40. LOL

To me it almost has an impressioist - oriental feel. I know I know (oxymoron) that doen't really go together does it.

How big is this piece??

rhysyllanfair
04-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Barb and Pixel. I forgot to note that it is 5"x7" oil on canvas board. I, too, thought it had an oriental feeling, but I don't think there would have been an oriental influence in the 16th century. I forget the dates of Marco Polo's journey, but believe it was later. Any information anyone knows about this would be interesting.

Robert

tyree
04-15-2006, 08:03 PM
robert....a very lovely, simple landscape, nicely done!!!! tyree:clap: :wave:

rosebard
04-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Lovely feel this painting has Robert. Cool!

As for me, nothing at all again. :( What a week I had. So much happened. But good things though. Today I spent the day in an children event at my downtown. I saw about 500 hundread children drawings. It was so much fun to spend the all day (from 9 am to 5 pm) around the children and seeing them drawing with colored pencils and crayons. I am so tired but happy. My daughter had a wonderfull time too.

Another week I hopely play with the latour cup. :)

AriadneArts
04-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Barb and Pixel. I forgot to note that it is 5"x7" oil on canvas board. I, too, thought it had an oriental feeling, but I don't think there would have been an oriental influence in the 16th century. I forget the dates of Marco Polo's journey, but believe it was later. Any information anyone knows about this would be interesting.

Robert

I love the portion of this painting which you decided to do. I also felt a strong oriental feeling to it, especially Japanese.

The first Dutch ship arrived in Japan in 1600 and for many, many years they were the only westerners allowed in that extremely xenophobic country. Remember, also, the Dutch East India Company operated all through Asia and Indonesia for many, many years.

In the 13th century, Marco Polo and family were traveling all over the Asian continent. Here's one of many good info links for those interested.

http://www.korcula.net/mpolo/mpolo4.htm

rhysyllanfair
04-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Eileen, thank you so much for the link you provided. I don't know how others feel, but I think this is a magical account of a magical event in the history of the world. I'm also shamed at how little I know about the march of history. Costa could very well have been influenced by examples of Eastern art. I'm reminded of reading about Gaugin and Van Gogh and Cezanne and other impressionists - plus Picasso - and the impact on them of a show of African masks in Paris in the late 19th century. This one experience opened an whole new vein of western art. I find that so wonderful and exciting. This is a wonderful forum.

Robert

AriadneArts
04-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Eileen, thank you so much for the link you provided. I don't know how others feel, but I think this is a magical account of a magical event in the history of the world. I'm also shamed at how little I know about the march of history. Costa could very well have been influenced by examples of Eastern art. I'm reminded of reading about Gaugin and Van Gogh and Cezanne and other impressionists - plus Picasso - and the impact on them of a show of African masks in Paris in the late 19th century. This one experience opened an whole new vein of western art. I find that so wonderful and exciting. This is a wonderful forum.

Robert

You're most welcome, Robert. You know, the older I get, the less I know -- well, the less I realize I know. I, too, know not nearly what I'd like about the 'march of history.' Only thing about me in this instance, is I became incredibly interested in Japan while a teenager--their art as well as Zen philosophy. I studied Japanese culture almost obsessively, (you know how intense teenagers can be ;) ) which, naturally led to China, Tibet and other Asian cultures. I studied Japanese language for three years while I was in college at UCLA. To practice 'hearing' and understanding the language, I spent all day most Saturdays at the Japanese movie theatres in L.A. Brought my lunch and everything. :rolleyes: When I finally got to spend a summer there in Japan, it was one of the highlights of my life.

I'm loving this forum too, and especially this 52 week project so very much, because I'm learning things about art, artists and history that I never knew. No need to feel ashamed about any lack of knowledge. Feel proud that you're not a couch potato watching inanity on the tube 18 hours a day......:evil: :D

Nickel
04-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Hey! Great Job Hosting Barb, thanks very much! :)

Hey everyone! I'm back, didn't get lost, so ready to see all the pretties this week and last week! I've got some reading to do here and looking too!

I'll be back soon. Very interesting thread this week. Have to study and see what I can add. All new to me. :) Fun! :) Can't know everything, but it is so fun to share and learn with you all! Should call this "the great minds"....on the shoulders of giants, how far shall we see?Nickel

Nickel
04-19-2006, 04:55 PM
:wave: barb...thank you for hosting this week, while nickel is away eating cookies!!! i like the early bird eating the green worm!!!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2006/65063-maid2.jpg Edouard Manet..A Bar at the Folies-Bergere..1881-1882....I have sketched this barmaid before, and never been able to capture her detachment or attitude of melancholy...not sure why because thats what ive done for a living for the past 25 yrs:lol: if youve never checked this painting out...take a look at the left corner for the dangling legs!!! tyree

Hi Susan, she is great, and very much detached as if her patron has had one drink too many and she wishes that they please go home......:lol:
But I cant find the dangling legs. I looked and looked. Help! :o

Nickel
04-19-2006, 04:59 PM
You inspired me Tyree! I thought I'd add a Spanish Lady for week 15. She is done by Fansisco Goya and titled Senora Sabasa Garcia around 1808
original here

mine here
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2006/44004-goya-week15.jpg

Very Nice Barbara, I love the intense look you have given this beautiful Spanish Lady. She seems to be off to the bull fight :)
One of my favorites! :thumbsup: :) Nickel

Nickel
04-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Pixel - Great drawing! Another nice portrait for the week!

Here's my offering for this week. After Victor Hugo's "A Castle in a Fantastic Landscape." Mine is mixed media (ink underdrawing, watercolor washes, and hard pastels on top), about 11 x 11.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2006/54332-15_Hugo.jpg

More to come on Hugo if I can find something.

Keith this is a great landscape study, it reminds me very much of your View of Toledo by El Greco. COOL:thumbsup: What about you, do you think there is something to what I am seeing? Maybe it is the emotional and intense enviorment of both. Very Cool!

Nickel
04-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Good morning, fellow classic lovers:

I fell behind last week working on too many WC projects. I'm currently trying my hand at this thread, a classic still life, self-portrait, and a plein air piece, jumping from one to another. All are fun but I'm not sure if this is the most productive working style.

To catch up, I wanted to indulge my interest in the mini-landscapes you find in lots of Renaissance portraits and figurative paintings. Many of them are very beautiful paintings in their own right. I chose the attached detail of Lorenzo Costa's Portrait of a Cardinal in his Study. You can find the original of the whole work here:

http://www.artsmia.org/collection/search/art.cfm?id=1784

I'm not sure of the story behind this painting, but it certainly resonates on this Good Friday. I'm not sure I chose the best cropping, but here's my effort.As always, comments and criticism are welcome.

Robert http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2006/49654-Landscape.JPG

I like this landscape very much Rober! And yes it really does have a wonderful magical feeling of the east. Very peacful! Thanks too for the website. Nice! I'll have to look around there somemore. I love zoomie sites. :)

Nickel
04-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

We're on Week 15 of the Art Journey! Nickel's away! She's out of town! So, I'm starting the thread this week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2006/11410-robin_eating_worm_lg_nwm.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing what you are up to!

Barb:cat:

Again, thank you Barb! You did a great job hosting!
Love the little Robin! :wave:

tyree
04-19-2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2006/65063-man2.jpg nickel...look to the very top of the painting to your left, and you can see the pink legs with green shoes....tyree:clap:

Nickel
04-19-2006, 11:25 PM
aahhhhhh I see :D thanks, I was looking for the legs in yours :lol: silly me, I just have always loved that painting :thumbsup: thanks for the full picture. I needed help Susan. Looks like that girl had a swinging good job! :wave: