PDA

View Full Version : painting acrylics

dlake
04-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi. I use to paint with acrylics and about a year and half ago I switched to pastels. Lately I feel very restless with them and feel I need a break. I am thinking of going back to acrylics. I really miss it.
So, I wanted to introduce myself. Hi.
I am sure my first attempts will be awful as I am really rusty but, I am hoping that it won't last long.
I just ordered a set of Liquitex from ASW so, I expect them late next week. I still have my brushes.
So, what's it like around here?????

idylbrush
04-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Welcome back. We look forward to seeing your work when you are ready.

We have a rather interesting group of folks here and it is also very supportive.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Lady Carol
04-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi Diane, welcome back to the forum. We are a supportive bunch here so there is no need to be self concious. Would love to see your work.

dlake
04-07-2006, 10:42 PM
thanks. I'm so anxious to paint again that I'm tempted to get some of those craft paints like dreamcoat just to do something while waiting for my liquitex. I've just sketched out one I was planning as a pastel but, I so want to paint it! lol.

krystakaye
04-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Welcome! Everyone in here is really great and helpful and are quite supportive. Great group of people in here- ENJOY :)

gnu
04-08-2006, 02:25 AM
you should, better to paint while you're itching than sit around...I started with the only ones I could buy locally which were student grade. I learnt despite the lower pigment mix.
While you're at it try some different techniques/tools, then you won't be using expensive paints and you won't be tempted to skimp.
welcome here

3chaway9
04-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Welcome Diane :wave: ...i love that itch....scratch it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Serenity
04-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Welcome, Diane! :wave: No harm working with the cheaper paints while you're waiting. If you've got an itch....scratch it. From my own experience, I've found this forum to be very supportive, friendly and helpful so just jump on in and enjoy! :)

Leslie Pz
04-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Do start! Eager to see and welcome back to the acrylics and welcome to the forum!!!

dlake
04-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I have some of the crafties but, not the colors I need. lol. Plan to pick some up this weekend. I have been missing acrylics for awhile. did I tell you that ASW has the liquitex 16 tubes set for 29.99?? I felt with that price and the 10.00 of coupon (19.99!) I couldn't just think about it and still do pastels.
I thought maybe you'd like to see what something I did looks like. It's not acrylic but, maybe give you an idea of my art...
Oh, wanted to tell Carrie about her roses. Lovely. I have a garden with several. I love roses. My fav. flower.
anyway, let me show a pastel I'm working on...I call it JAZZ. WIP. I should mention, this was aoriginally a sketch from my head and just kept progressing.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2006/73610-000_0516.JPG

tubbekans
04-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Welcome Diane, hope you like the furniture around here. Don't mind the relatives, they grow on you after a while... :)

Your jazzy pastel is looking very lively and loose! That's groovy. I think we have some artists around the forum who have combined oil pastels and acrylics in the past. Just thought I'd mention that, since it is pastel world too that way. Lets see, I saw a post from someonme who layered oil pastels on top of an acrylic painting, and I think someone else had layered soft pastels on top of their acrylic painting. Myself, I have layered oil paint sticks on top of acrylic, and that works fine. Lots of ways to combine things it seems. Oh, well, welcome again :wave:

dlake
04-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I've used acrylics with pastels but, I just want to paint with brush. I have missed acrylics so much. I miss the vibrancy and versitility. the ability to make it look like oil or watercolor. The color mix. the permancy. Oh, yeah, think i'm ready to paint again. ya think?

tamiboo
04-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi Diane :wave: I really like that pastel and am looking forward to seeing your paintings.

CreativeHal
04-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Hiya guys,

I am new to this site. Looking forward to getting on with you. For a little information about my career and view some of my art, you can see it here: http://www.haroldshull.com/

I work exclusively in acrylics and I am retired now and hope to pursue it full time as a Fine Arts Painter. Glad to be aboard.

Hal

tubbekans
04-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Welcome Hal! I checked out your web site, wow, book covers, Star Trek, portraits, where does it end? :D A very impressive body of work indeed. :thumbsup:

Now Diane, don't you think you should just hold off a while longer and develop your self control? :evil: Just kidding grasshopper.

CreativeHal
04-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Hiya Paul,

Thanks. The reason I have such a variety of themes is because I have worked in many fields as an artist. To name a few - Toys, Book Covers, Movie Illustrations, Sports, Portraiture and Political Cartoons.

It beats working for a living. hahahahahaHal

tubbekans
04-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Sounds great Hal. Certainly sounds a lot better than working. Well, it's nice that you are joining us here in cyberland now. We have quite a variety of artists around the acrylics forum. Have you seen the WOYE (What's on your easel) thread? That thread is a good place to see the variety of work people are doing. Anyway, welcome to the acrylics forum Hal!

Heidi7Sue
04-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi Diane :wave:

I love your Jazz singer! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. And don't be shy. Everyone here is very kind and helpful.

Heidi

Faded
04-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Welcome Diane and Hal. I've no doubt you'll enjoy this forum, the folks here are more than willing to help with concise, constructive criticism and support. I look forward to seing more of your work.
-David

dlake
04-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi hal. Thanks for the nice welcome. As for the jazz singer, I finished her in pastels and am attempting - key word Attempting-lol, to do it in acrylics. I just discovered the wonderful help my colour shapers are in detail work. wow. I also discovered how rusty I really am!

Donna A
04-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi, Diane!!! I think that it's a GREAT idea to follow your heart into acrylic painting right now. I've always found that each medium really informs my use of other mediums every time I switch around. Seems that some folks think they are opponents rather than companions!!! However, they can be sooooo supportive to each other medium! Another opportunity to learn more! :-) Yea!!! And----all the mediums are still about pigments and their various delivery systems!

The Liquitex deal at ASW sounds great! I know you are going to have a lot of enjoyment with this, as well as with your pastels, at such time as you may work with them again! Best wishes!!! Donna ;-}