PDA

View Full Version : Tea for one

Bhavana Vijay
04-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi all,
This is fresh off the easel.Have been wanting to paint glass for a really long time.
Pls let the C & C's flow!

AS Colourfix, some kind of pale yellow(dont remember the name)
11" x 14"

Thanks for looking!:)

Trilby
04-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Good going! You definitely have glass here. You also caught not only transparency but transluceny. The tea bag is wonderful and I really like the background with that note of red. Only Nit pic I have is take another look at the bottom of the glass, maybe too rounded an elipse? Not sure, Those doarn elipses in perspective are troublesome even to the viewer.
TJ

dlake
04-07-2006, 06:52 PM
It is great. I love the colors and think it's a winner!!!!!

Khadres
04-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Neat! Can almost smell it from here! Where's the lemon???

binkie
04-08-2006, 02:54 AM
Great job on the glass and tea.

binkie

Dark_Shades
04-08-2006, 05:03 AM
Lovely job Bhavana ....... definately glass, and a great looking refreshing cup of tea

*Marina*
04-08-2006, 05:11 AM
lovely job Bhavana, I love the teabag. Looks great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ColorOfMagic
04-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Bhavana:
It is a good rendering of the glass - reflections are difficult to do. Is it from life or photo?

One comment: It is what is known as a "floater."
It appears as though it is suspended in mid air.
To set it down you might try a darkening the line along the base a little. But is more effective to included the reflections and shadows on the "table" which will give it a footing.
jf

Hi all,
This is fresh off the easel.Have been wanting to paint glass for a really long time.
Pls let the C & C's flow!

AS Colourfix, some kind of pale yellow(dont remember the name)
11" x 14"

Thanks for looking!:)

ColorOfMagic
04-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Addendum:
Your composition is a bit cramped... At the top and on the left there is little to no room for a bit of overlap in the framing. If the matte or frame touches at either point you will end up with an eye disturbing tangent. It is a good idea to try some thumbnail sketches in the planning stage.

jf

ThomasM
04-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Nice composition and colors, well rendered, I would agree with some shadows on the base of the glass to tie it down (something I continually do not do myself) nice work.:clap:

John B
04-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Ooooo... nice job Bhavana, drop a slice of lemon in and I'll drink it now.

John

Paula Ford
04-08-2006, 11:03 AM
I just think this is wonderful Bhavana. I would also put a bit of darkness under the glass to ground it, a bit of shadow under the front.

Very unique composition.

Paula

Bringer
04-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Hi,

You have done a great work on that glass and tea.
I think I would like to see the whiter part of the handle with some greys like those of the bottom; maybe one thin light grey line - I'm not sure though.

Regards,

Josť

Tressa
04-08-2006, 11:58 AM
You did a great job, and the minor flaws pointed out, can be fixed, or taken for next time!!! Bravo!
Glass is not the easiest to render, and we get caught up in and forget the other issues that relate...:)
Tres

sassybird
04-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Glass is so hard to caputure, but you did a wonderful job.

mdefeiter
04-08-2006, 02:40 PM
You've captured the color of the tea very well. Like in one of the earlier replies; I can almost smell it :) I'm lost for the English word for it, but I just love how you've painted the little bubbles on top of the glass, from the steam touching the glass.

Mariska :wave:

Bhavana Vijay
04-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Thank you TJ, Diane, Sooz, Binkie, Dark Shades, Marina, Jim, ThomasM, John, Paula, Jose, Tres, Charissa and Mariska for your extremely kind words and comments!:D I am happy it looks like glass!!

TJ, its a little late to change the bottom i think.I really struggled with the elipses, i usually could make out the mistakes only when i saw them on the screen!But thanks for pointing it out, will keep that in mind for the next one.

Jim, i cropped this from a picture taken by a friend. The picture didnt have any shadows (dont see how) but i sppse it does look odd here.Perils of painting from painting a photograph i guess. I will add some shadows.Thanks!:)

Jose, is it too white maybe?I was thinking that too...maybe i will add some lines, i am not sure either tho! I used black and white for this painting!!:eek:

y.vlerick
04-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Amazing, so natural. Great work, I can almost smell the tea :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yvette

Bringer
04-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi again,

I also use black and white and will use it as many times as I want :-)

Regards,

Josť

P.S. Casablanca is black and white and it's a great movie

Bhavana Vijay
04-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi again,

I also use black and white and will use it as many times as I want :-)

Regards,

Josť

P.S. Casablanca is black and white and it's a great movie
He he!I feel better now!

Thanks Yvette for your kind comments!!:)

Piper Ballou
04-08-2006, 09:24 PM
very nicely done
piper

Bhavana Vijay
04-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks Piper!:)

Okay, so here goes....

I am terrible in making up things...even a simple shadow. I went through a lot of similar pictures and picked the one i thought would be the closest (read easiest :lol: ) I hope this looks like a shadow. I am tired of this painting right now, but pls tell me all there needs to be told.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2006/70937-april_014.jpg

Artaholic
04-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Great:clap: :clap: I also agree with grounding the cup , I think that the handle does pick up the background colors nicely:)

Tom Behnke
04-09-2006, 02:47 AM
Wow. Great glass. It looks delicious. I'll take a scone with that please.

ColorOfMagic
04-09-2006, 08:10 AM
for the next one.

Jim, i cropped this from a picture taken by a friend. The picture didnt have any shadows (dont see how) but i sppse it does look odd here.Perils of painting from painting a photograph i guess. I will add some shadows.Thanks!:)

Jose, is it too white maybe?I was thinking that too...maybe i will add some lines, i am not sure either tho! I used black and white for this painting!!:eek:
Good job, Bhavana'! :clap:
It now looks as if it is sitting on a flat surface..

You don't have to slavishly copy a photo:

Regarding my cropping comment... I didn't explain my point clearly. I was referring to looking ahead to framing, in the planning stage. It's okay for the image to disappear off the edge, but it will bother the viewer's eye if it is either too close or tangent to it. Therefore, I have no heartburn with the right side of the cup going off the edge. But when it is framed, normally the framing materials hide a little of the image and, in effect, moves everything closer to the edges. You could have still had the same composition and left more room at the top and left side between the image and the edge of the paper so that when you frame it the image wouldn't look crowded. To give it more room to safely avoid the top and left side being too close to the edge, your image size would have had to be smaller in relation to the size of your support.

In an analgous subject of crowding... "don't crowd" your value range: There's nothing wrong with using black and white. Rules are made to be broken : do whatever works!! But it is a good idea to leave those two extremes for last as accents so you don't run out of value "room." The darkest dark and lightest lights are usually placed at the center of interest.

This is entirely a matter of opinion --- I think there is a color clash between the red of the background and the reddish color of the tea??. It might help to gray the background red a little.. Maybe scumble very lightly with a complimentary color? I sometimes use the edge of the point of a pastel pencil (Carbothello) If you have Adobe Photo Shop you might experiment with that first.

I'll always remember a point made by Amarillo TX artist Ben Konis in a workshop I took with him years ago. "Use the most intense color possible in the beginning. You can always tone it back later." Ben is a great teacher and colorist.

tURBOCAT
04-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Ah.... beautiful! The transparency is great.

Johnnie

Bhavana Vijay
04-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Thank you very much Gerry, Tom and Johnnie!:)

Jim, (phew!) glad you think its not floating anymore!

Sorry, i forgot to reply to your cropping comment.I did understand what you meant.I had actually cropped it a little on the edges before posting it here.I dont know if thats enough .I admit tho that i hadnt thought about all that before i started the painting!!:rolleyes:

I am learning so much in this painting. I found your comments on crowding the value range very very interesting! Good idea, let me try it on photoshop first.
Thanks so much Jim.

granddad
04-09-2006, 11:57 AM
i think you did a wonderful job, i just love it. james

Merethe T
04-09-2006, 01:28 PM
GREAT job on the glass!!! It's fun to do isn't it? :) Smashing colors too, very real. Love the colors in the BG too, and like the crop. Heck, I love it all! ;)

Bhavana Vijay
04-10-2006, 12:30 AM
James and Merethe, thank you so much for your wonderful comments!!:D

CindyW
04-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Bhavana, the deep rich orangey of that tea is just perfect! as well as the white in the glass. Great piece!
Cindy

Mike_Beeman
04-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Glass is so hard to caputure, but you did a wonderful job.

I agree...good job!!

Bhavana Vijay
04-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks Cindy and Mike for your kind comments!Glad you like it!:)

scall0way
04-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Wow, this is fabulous. The glass is wonderful, and the tea looks crystal clear and good enough to drink. A fine achievement.

bjcpaints
04-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Wonderful work Bhavana! Thought I'd already commented on this! This looks like a wonderful accomplishment in skills to me! I hope I may do as well someday.
Barbara

Bhavana Vijay
04-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks Debbie for you wonderful comments!
Barbara, you are too kind, thank you so much:)