PDA

View Full Version : Teaching at Michaels?????

Tressa
04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Has anyone done this, and is it worth the time?
Thanks,
Tres

PeggyB
04-07-2006, 06:43 PM
I haven't Tres, but I know someone who did. Operative word here is did. It may be different where you are, but they expected him to use (of course) only what they sell, and when they didn't have many people sign up they still expected him to offer the class - at a greatly reduced fee for himself of course!

In my experience, I don't like working for art supply stores that don't have a sufficient inventory of products, and limit you to only what they sell. Even Daniel Smith who supposedly has "everything" was a pain in the neck to work with in that regard. First I had to make a detailed list of any possible item that would be used in class so they'd have it "on hand". Then when the class came around the students complained because something as simple as Schmincke white wasn't at the store. They were told they'd have to order it through the catalogue!!! Never mind the warehouse is in the same building as the store and classroom... After a half dozen or so courses I declined to work with them anymore. Now all my classes are offered only through a community college or here at my home.

Bottom line, check out what they are asking you to do and get all the "what-ifs" answered too. Then decide if you want to do it. It is one way to possibly get more students to come to your other class.

Peggy

Bringer
04-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi Peggy,

I'm glad that you give classes at your own place.
This way if I should ever visit the USA, I don't have to spend money on the stay:evil:

Regards,

Josť

P.S.

I eat 3 meals per day and snacks in between:D

P.P.S.

And please don't forget my cup of hot chocolate before bed

Tressa
04-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks, Peggy.. I teach thru the college also, but was trying to think of a way to make a few xtra bucks for my trip to Scotland. It is not a particular venue that I would want to do on a long term basis, I don't think..was just wondering if it would be a benifit for that , or if I should just consider taking on a couple more classes at one of the other colleges in the area.. I am pressed for time to fit anything more in the daytime, but was thinking of night and Sat...I was kind of afraid of the "crafty" atmosphere..but it would be short term.. I am meetiing with the manager on Monday, so we will see what she says...:) Who knows, the pay may be ok, and then again, I may choke when she tells me minimum wage:eek:
Tres

PeggyB
04-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Tres - as I recall the pay wasn't great either, and that was for a man who was an extremely experienced watercolor instructor with a fine local reputation. I'll be interested to hear what you learn.

Ummmm - Josť? Do you think I'm crazy? Or are you the crazy one? I teach 2 - 3 hour classes in pastel, and don't provide bed, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks between. But hey! If you want to camp in my back yard with an occassional golden retriever, racoon, rabbit, mouse, deer, bear or coyote as companion you are more than welcome to do that. (did I mention slugs big as bananas?) :lol: :lol: :lol: Of course this is the Pacific NothWET, and I can't guarantee how dry the ground will be any time of year either. :evil:

Peggy

Tressa
04-07-2006, 09:40 PM
LOL, Boy do I remember those rainy days...used to live in Portland.
Jose, bring a really BIG umbrella.
Peggy, I will post what I learn on Monday. Like I said, was just a thought to earn a bit of spending money to buy Albert an ale with..:)
Tres

Tressa
04-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Ok, I had a meeting scheduled with Michaels, and another shop here called A.C.Moore...
I went to Michaels first, and showed the girl my portfolio, which I have on cd, and she is very impressed, right? Wants to sign me up for classes right away! I was like, cool...Then she tells me the rate..acchhh...I don't even know if I can CHOKE it out!!!....SEVEN BUCKS !!! I looked at her, and I said, "that's it?, per student?" "oh! no, that's per HOUR!" ....I just said thank you very much and thank you for your time, goodbye!!!! I have no idea what my face must have looked like! :eek: Almost did not even go to the other one, was just gonna cancel, then what the heck!!
Met with the manager of this store, and again very impressed, want to put me right in their May Schedule, want me to participate in a demo on 22April..I was afraid to ask, but did anyway...Whew!!! Glad I went!!!
$25.00 per student for 2 hour sessions..and they are paying me for the 4 hour demo also!!!! Yay!! :clap: Spending money for Scotland!!! I will be teaching 3 days per week!!!

So there is the update...
Tres

PeggyB
04-10-2006, 05:15 PM
I wasn't suprised at what Michael's wanted to pay you - very similar to the guy I told you about.

However, Super! Horray! and I too am glad you went ahead with the other interview. That's a much better offer and indication that manager values an artist's time and talent. Heck You'll have enough to buy Albert two beers! Not to mention all the practice time before you even get there staying two steps ahead of your students.

Peggy

Potoma
04-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Tres,
Thanks for doing the legwork! There are AC Moores around here, too. Very interesting...

Tressa
04-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Potoma, do I get a finders fee????:evil:
:lol: ,
Tres

Potoma
04-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Sure, allow me to buy Albert a drink!

Potoma
04-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Okay, I'm back. Couldn't turn the brain off.

I just looked through their website and only found pastels once in a search - turned up in a video for Canson paper. At least they seem to stock Canson.

Will you be required to just use the supplies they have on hand? As I recall, they have el cheapo sets something like 24 landscape or 24 general purpose, even if they're not on the website. A while back, I bought one set there for use with kids. The colors are vivid, but the texture is grainy.

So, anything further from your meeting on specifics like this?

Believe it or not, there are 4 locations with 45 minutes from me, 6 within an hour. In looking at their class schedules, some have watercolors, but most seem to concentrate on knitting and cake decorating. I wonder why they don't have more variety.

Tressa
04-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Maybe because no has approached them?? The manager at mine was really excited!! Yes, I will have to recommend their brands, but as for pastels, just a quick glance in there, they do carry Rembrandt, and Conte. I did not look too much, but will update you as I find out more,
Tres

Khadres
04-10-2006, 11:48 PM
I tried an oil painting class at Michael's about ten years ago...I wound up with about four retired ladies (at bargain rates to begin with and with only four of 'em you can imagine I wasn't getting rich!) who flatly refused to spend more than $10 at most for all their supplies. I found out just how awful a size 2 cheapo camel hair brush can be when gummed up with oil paint! They'd also decided that they'd do Walter Foster copies rather than use photos...which was okay....except that each always picked something with colors they had NOT bought and subject that should've been on large canvasses to cram onto their 8X10 canvas panels. We limped along for awhile, three or four weeks I guess it was, and all of us gradually lost interest. Since they were paying by the class, I was more than happy to let it go since it wasn't worth my while or their either, far as I could tell.

As far as Michael's goes, I didn't have much trouble with them except that the space I was supposed to have to teach in turned out to be a midget sized broom closet.

Tressa
04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Sooz, exactly what I wanted to avoid!!! :)
I am much happier with the response I got from the other store, and they seem to have a more professional outlook also...

Peggy,
Thanks ..I am much happier with this agreement than with Michaels..Not bad for a part-time venue to acumulate some spending money...The class coordinator seemed a bit more professional, and very enthusiastic.
Tres

Tressa
04-11-2006, 07:37 AM
One update on supplies. One thing that impressed me with this coordinator, is when we were discussing their supplies, she did say, only reccommend the best we carry..:) Of course, it makes me look good, and you get sales of your materials. :) We also talked about the idea of adding some additional items to their stock, so we shall see...maybe if more Fine Arts are offered at this type of place, the stock would get better, hehe
Tres

K Taylor-Green
04-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Good deal, Tres! I wonder if Hobby Lobby is on a par with Michaels as far as fees. At least HL carries Art Spectrum, which is a decent brand.