PDA

View Full Version : unframed, matted pastels

JudyBee
04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
What is the best way to protect unframed, matted pastels for display/sale in a bin or rack? Clear poly bags? Wrapping it in cellophane? Shrink wrapping?

Thanks!

aspiring artist
04-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Oh, how I wish there was a good answer to this question, JudyBee. I have run into the same problem and so far, nothing I've tried works. My framer matted one of my pastels and placed corner pieces to hold the shrink-wrap away from the mat, and the shrink-wrap material (cellophane?) STILL grabbed so much pastel dust it obscured the artwork. Of course, it didn't sell. My understanding is that the shrink-wrap material has an electromagnetic charge to it which causes the pastel dust to cling terribly. I wish I could come up with another way to display my pastels safely (for sale). I'll be watching this thread to see if someone has a better idea. In the meantime, Good Luck!

KJSCL
04-07-2006, 05:36 PM
It's interesting to see how people have such different experiences with things. I've been getting my matted pastel paintings shrink wrapped for over a year and have never run into any problems with it. I've even carefully pulled the wrapping up on a painting to make changes on it and then pulled it back down without any damage.

PeggyB
04-07-2006, 07:32 PM
I suspect the success of using shrinkwrap or not depends a lot on the method you use to paint the work in the first place. As far as I know there is no good way to display an original unmatted, unframed pastel in a display bin. The work in those bins gets moved about quite a lot, and the static that causes is considerable for a pastel. Anything plastic in nature isn't pastel's best friend.

It's just my opinion, but I don't thank any original work belongs in those bins or racks. Prints, yes. Original work, no. Too many potential clients look at those paintings as being "unworthy" of a mat or frame. If the artist didn't value it, why should they?

Peggy

Dot Hoffman
04-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Peggy has a good point!

aspiring artist
04-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Thank you for responding, KJSCL, and writing about your success.
And thank you, PeggyB, for sharing your opinion of original work in bins or racks. I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks! :)

dlake
04-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm planning on using a mat and plastiglass in the artwork part of a craft store that carries something like that. I'm planning to do so in the next day or two and I can let you know. It's not plexi. It's something like glass tho. quite cheap and goes well with matting.

PeggyB
04-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm planning on using a mat and plastiglass in the artwork part of a craft store that carries something like that. I'm planning to do so in the next day or two and I can let you know. It's not plexi. It's something like glass tho. quite cheap and goes well with matting.

Diane, a good rub with a wool or synthetic cloth on the surface of the glazing you are planning to use will tell you right away if it will have a static charge.

Peggy

Tressa
04-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I frame all my work that is for sale, and the gallery has a standard offer of choice to purchase unframed...sorry, I agree with Peggy..
Tres