PDA

View Full Version : Gloves???

KA Obee
04-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Do you wear gloves when you paint? If so, what kind?
I've tired wearing the little cotton ones from the drug store, but I end up making a huge mess because they don't fit snuggly.
I think I heard someone mention finger covers? I've most likely gotten the name wrong - what do you use?
How about surgical gloves? Are they horribly uncomfortable or just fine?
Thanks,
KA

dlake
04-07-2006, 12:51 AM
I got this box of those plastic kind of gloves, disposable, like in the haircolor boxes. They are okay but, I'm just tooo hands on. I can't wear anything when I garden either. I just like to feel and be right into it.
I did try the finger cots before and again, didn't feel very comfortable with them. I guess I'll just have to keep the water, lotions and rags for my colorfully dusty hands...

Tatijana
04-07-2006, 01:49 AM
i wish i did not have to use gloves, but i have very dry and sensitive skin and the clays in the pastels just dry them out to quickly for comfort, so i bought mine from costco, but they carry only large and medium sizes and i have found that the snugger the fit, the easier it is to handle pastels. dentists and dental technicians need very snug fitting gloves, so maybe your dentist would be willing to sell to you or order for you some. i lucked out because my dentist had a stock of latex gloves that they were not using anymore and were willing to donate to a good cause - me:D :evil:
i find the gloves comfortable, just dont like them when they are loose - feels like you're about to drop the pastels. so far i've used them indoors and outdoors in comfortable temperatures. imagine they could get hot in the summer if you are painting outdoors.

PeggyB
04-07-2006, 03:08 AM
I too have super sensitive skin, and have tried everything from nonlatex gloves that fit quit snugly to finger cots to skin barrier creams. A couple of my problems though are my skin doesn't tolerate latex or lanolin of any type and most of the barrier creams contain that. Neither do they like getting too warm, and the gloves are too warm. So - I keep a wet rag on the easel and frequently clean my hands, then I use some of the cream that I can use - namely Vanicream that I get from my pharmacist. It isn't greasy so I don't have a problem with picking up the pastels almost immediately after applying it. Now that is my "ideal" care of my hands - more often than not I work until I finish the painting and then worry about getting my hands rehydrated. LOL

Peggy

Bringer
04-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi,

I wear a latex glove on my right hand (to hold the pastel of course....)
For those who may transpire alot from the hands it's advisable to wear vynil or nitrile gloves. Vynil gloves will also give a nice feel of the pastels.
Check Norton, for insteance.
I buy 10 gloves for 75 cents at a chinese store near my job.
If you use them alot of time I would advise to buy a reliable brand since health is more important than saving a few bucks.

Regards,

Josť

P.S. if you want I can send you a sample of vinyl and nitrile so you can see how they are. Just PM
I sell those at my job.

Dot Hoffman
04-07-2006, 11:01 AM
I use latex gloves, powdered on the inside, from Walgreen's. They must fit really snug or they make a mess. I agree with others, though, that I don't like the sweaty hand feel, and can only wear them for a limited amount of time. I also bought finger cots (Dick Blick carries them) but be sure to get them large enough or they cut off the blood supply at the knuckles. (opposite of gloves :lol: ) Occassionally I do without anything on my hands, but like others, my skin is dry and cracks around the fingernails (painful). I keep a piece of thick old terry towel on my lap and use it for wiping off my hands and the pastels to keep them clean as possible. I have baby wipes nearby, but I don't like their "stickiness" while I'm working. Like Peg, sometimes I just work through it, and worry about cleaning up and lubricate my hands well afterward. I also paint instant super glue on the skin cracks,which stops and pain and helps heal them. (a tip from my doctor friend).

bluefish
04-07-2006, 11:36 AM
KA:

I have to get in and really crush those 'diamonds in the pigments' so I do most of my work with my bare hands EXCEPT the aluminum oxide papers. I've torn so much skin from my fingers that I thought I went to 'safe cracking school'! Dakota sold leather finger cots but they were so small you couldn't get them on - they have added a latex expansion band and now they work fine but good for large areas work only! To large for delicate areas - so a latex finger cot from the local drug store is used for this work on those 'sand papers'!

'bluefish'

Bringer
04-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi Dot,

I think that you should wear gloves without powder.
I use without powder

Regards,

Josť

KJSCL
04-07-2006, 05:44 PM
I've tried both latex gloves and finger cots but don't use either of them anymore. The only exception is if I'm blending a large area such as a sky, on Wallis, or if I have a cut on my finger, then I'll use a finger cot. The rest of the time it's bare hands with alot of baby wipes near by.

Khadres
04-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I just got a lifetime supply of vinyl, snug-fitting surgical gloves through a medical supply outfit on ebay. So much cheaper and I've gotten used to them tho I do have to strip them off now and then to let my hands cool and dry off. I do like the vinyl ones and they fit well enough to handle things well...no clumsiness. I've gotten used to putting a pair on for particularly rough housecleaning, as well, now that I have a huge supply...I just toss 'em when I'm done and don't have to worry about it. I've tried the finger cots (odd name, I know, but...so it is) but they are way too expensive for what they are and I'd need all ten fingers covered to work, so...

Anyway, if one lived in near proximity to a fellow pastellist, one could do one of these orders for ten boxes of 100 each and split the order cost between 'em. MUCH cheaper than the drug store!

KA Obee
04-07-2006, 11:23 PM
I think I'll get a box of the gloves from the drugstore jut to see if I even like them. If I do, then I'll invest in a large supply of them.
Thanks for all the info everyone!
KA

dspinks
04-09-2006, 01:19 PM
I've started using pastels recently, but I soon discovered that I can't stand using gloves. I use liquid "Gloves in a Bottle. (http://www.glovesinabottle.com/)" You only need to use a few drops, and it dries absolutely greaseless and with no tack. It really does keep the pastel from drying out my hands and I can wash my hands frequently during a fairly long (3 hour) session without it wearing off. My hands wash cleaner and more easily than when they are unprotected, too.

Debra

PeggyB
04-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Gloves in a Bottle and several other products of like variety do work extremely well for anyone who isn't allergic to lanolin. Sure wish some company made something like it for sensitive skin!
Peggy

Bringer
04-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Gloves in a Bottle and several other products of like variety do work extremely well for anyone who isn't allergic to lanolin. Sure wish some company made something like it for sensitive skin!
Peggy

Hi,

Maybe you can see something suitable from this company.

http://www.stokoskincare.com/prodbw.htm

Try also the Loctite and Gojo brands

Regards,

Josť

khourianya
04-09-2006, 02:58 PM
The rest of the time it's bare hands with alot of baby wipes near by.

me too! :D

My skin gets irritated more by the gloves than by the babywipes, so i just wipe my hands alot to keep them clean (and the wipes are gentle and have aloe in them to keep me form getting too dried out....

dspinks
04-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Gloves in a Bottle does not contain lanolin. Here is a Q&A from their FAQ:

"I'm allergic to lanolin, fragrances, dyes and other ingredients put in lotions.
Is Gloves In A Bottle safe for me?

Gloves In A Bottle contains no known irritating substances, including fragrances, since its purpose is to protect against irritation. Gloves In A Bottle was formulated to be completely hypoallergenic and non-toxic."

They list all their ingredients on their website (http://www.glovesinabottle.com/), if you want to be certain, also.

Debra

Khadres
04-11-2006, 01:01 AM
I've use Gloves in a Bottle, but it didn't seem to work that well for me and my hands felt too dry despite being coated with the stuff. But then I'm weird anyway. :D

Pat Isaac
04-11-2006, 09:13 AM
I use oil pastels and I tried using the disposable plastic gloves, but ultimately gave them up as I need to "feel" what I'm working with. Tried the gloves in a bottle also, but didn't fins that that worked very well either. So I use nothing and love it, have to get right in and get all messy. The same, like Diane, when I am in the garden. Have to feel the dirt.

Pat