PDA

View Full Version : My Oil Pastel Revelation

gjwillis
02-24-2002, 02:38 PM
Hi, I completed this one last night around 2-3 am in the morning. That's when I had my revelation that pastels can be layered. It all started when I was angry at the pastel company for being so stupid to include white pastels in a box. I thought to myself why include white if the product acts like crayon. You can't see the color so why include it. Then just for kicks I decided to put a little white over what I had done. Then I had an artistic relalation. The picture began to change and lighten.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to work with oil pastels or not. But I ended up really laying down the colors instead of taking tentatative baby steps like you would do when coloring with crayons. Right now the paper has a smooth velvety feel to it. Is this how paper with oil pastels is supposed to feel? Please someone who works in oil pastels let me know if I'm doing this the right way or not. Am I guilty of a major oil pastel sin??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2002/secondoilpastel.jpg

light
02-25-2002, 01:43 PM
I don't think that anything is a "sin" when it comes to art. If it works, do it. You can even take turpentine to the painting with a paintbrush and see what effects that gives you.

I do soft pastel and I always put the dark down first with the lighter colors going over or last. Seems to work better.

The more you play with a your art the more you will find out. The revelations are great fun.

Enjoy!!!:clap: