PDA

View Full Version : Big Glacier

klondikemike
04-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Did this one with the 'Oil Pastels" in Painter 9.5.
Original size is 16" x 20" @ 250-dpi.
----------------

JCoop
04-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Mike, this is quite beautiful indeed.:) is it completely freehand?

barryt
04-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Beautiful Mike, I love the sun effect on those ridges, and the 'river of ice'

klondikemike
04-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks jcoop & barry :) . This is one I'm actually almost proud of (I'm a hypercritical freak when it comes to my own work).

Yes, it's all freehand. Took a LONG time to finish. Many sleepless nights. Started (as typical) with a quick shape study to get the composition, then a tone study, then a color study, then just plugged away to fill in all the details and tweaked the highlights & shadows until it felt "right".

And, when it was finally done, I worried that my Epson 7800 would have a hard time with duplicating all of the off-cyan colors. But it printed out perfectly.

Anyways, thanks for taking time to check it out:) .

Skinny
04-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Beautiful! I've never been to Alaska so your pictures are a virtual trip. :p

del m
04-05-2006, 07:17 PM
well done love the colors and depth

klondikemike
04-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Glad you enjoy them Skinny :) .

Del: I guess I get lucky once in a while and things turn out like I'd wanted ;) .

LadyAlba
04-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Beautiful! ;o)

fugitive
04-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Well, to me it looks machine or filter made or a 3D model. If not, well then it could use some more human touches like less than perfect contors in the mountain. I liked the BG on the bird painting, very smooth in the sky and water, but the some hunk of land, once again, looked machine made.

klondikemike
04-06-2006, 02:15 AM
Sorry to disappoint you fugitive, the only machines involved with the making of those two pieces was my computer hardware and the biological machines of Me, Myself & I :evil: .
I truly don't know what you mean by "more human touches like less than perfect contors (sic) in the mountain". I can only assume you are talking about the hill in "Raven's Gift" since there are several mountains in "Big Glacier". If it was the hill in "Raven's Gift", that's just the way I decided to make it back in '97. If I were to re-do it today (or had never done it and it just came to me today to do it) with 9 more years of experience and a computer that is 20+ times as powerful as the 133-mHz Pentium with 128-MB of RAM I had back then, I don't doubt it would have turned out different (if not better).
If you're talking about a mountain in "Big Glacier", I wouldn't change a thing on any one of them, as they are far from "perfect". What is a perfectly contoured mountain, anyways? I've never seen one, and would like to know.
And keep in mind that the close-up I included is not only smaller than the original, but is also a very small area, and is only 72-dpi, so a LOT of little details are lost.
It would be easier to refute (or agree with you) had you not decided to C&C two seperate works in one post without being more specific.
As for filters, the only filter that was used was for the texture in the rings of the sun & moon in "Raven's Gift" (as I admitted to in it's description).
The rest was just patience, perseverance, and dumb luck ;) .

barryt
04-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Is this actually in Alaska? I ask because my icon of Alaska is B&W, a small fishing village. Cold. My icon of Chile, thanks to Kareen, is all pretty spring colours.
I still love the hints of sun on the mountains.

justjean
04-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Beautiful scene and lovely colours :thumbsup: and (I'm a hypercritical freak when it comes to my own work). aren't we all regardless of our skill levels , mine being way down the scale from yours :lol:

omniartz
04-06-2006, 12:06 PM
I have family in Alaska and this reminds me of pictures of Denali National Park. Exceptional!! :)

klondikemike
04-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks Barry Jean and Kirk :) .

Barry: the mountains & glacier are made up, but the color palette is fairly accurate. And those highlights took me forever, so I'm glad you liked them :) .

Jean: thanks for the kind words :) . I guess if we weren't overly critical of our own work we'd never strive to do better :) .

Kirk: thank you so much :) . Where in Alaska are your relatives? I lived in Oregon from 2000 to 2005 and it amazed me how many people either lived up here or had family up here. As for Denali National Park, that is my secret Holy Grail: to one day get the courage to attempt doing justice to Denali. Unfortunately, one of my artistic heroes, Sydney Lawrence, kind of set the bar too high for me to feel comfortable enough to go for it ;) .

And that's what I like to hear: "reminds me of" :) .

I never go for photorealism (that's what cameras are for, and I'm a lousy photographer:lol: ), I just like to do things that suggest the possibility that they might exist somewhere.
The most powerful responses to art are often achieved by letting (or forcing) the viewer to use their imagination, or let them draw their own conclusion about the subject matter (impressionism, chiarascuro, abstract expressionism, etc.).
Photorealism is cool, and requires a huge amount of skill to pull off, but it can never evoke the responses that less detailed work can.

barryt
04-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Photorealism is cool, and requires a huge amount of skill to pull off, but it can never evoke the responses that less detailed work can.

Very true Mike

TxAggieDarlin
04-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Oh very beautiful, I have never seen a glacier...well, being in Texas, that is no big surprise, but very nice work............however, I LOVE THE BOAT you did......when I clicked on your picture it took me to the boat......that is just awesome

klondikemike
04-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Well thanks TxAggieDarlin :) .
Glad you liked them both:) .
I'll post the whole image of the fishing boat over in the regular "Digital Art" section.

Elvira
04-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Mike I love your images! They remind me of anothe painter of the north whoes name escapes me, from the Yukon, It seems that brilliant colour is a common impression of the area. Someday I'd like to see it for myself!!!!
Edie

omniartz
04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
"Kirk: thank you so much . Where in Alaska are your relatives? "

I have family in Anchorage and Chugiak, My Mom was the only one so far who was able to visit them before her death in '99. But she had great pictures of Denali and surrounds (slides) she was a pretty good photographer for an amateur!

I'd like to try a summer up there but on fixed income it is cost prohibitive!! :)

klondikemike
04-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Thank you so much for the kind words Edie:) .
There's always room in Alaska for more visitors ;) .
My mom is Canadian (Alberta) and my dad is partial to Nova Scotia. It seems that the grass is always greener on the other side of the continent:p .
Mike I love your images! They remind me of anothe painter of the north whoes name escapes me, from the Yukon, It seems that brilliant colour is a common impression of the area. Someday I'd like to see it for myself!!!!
Edie

klondikemike
04-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Kirk,
I'm stuck in dirty old Anchorage after having spent the last 5 years in Oregon. My wife wants to move back to Oregon (we were both born & raised up here), so I guess I'll have to say goodbye to my homeland once again:crying: .
Oh well. Oregon is pretty nice. Lots of good subject material down there for an artist to sink their teeth into :) .

digistyle
04-09-2006, 06:52 PM
By coincidence, a friend recently showed me some glacier photos they took on their last vacation. They had this same blue cast. So, it was quite a treat to see your painting. Very nice work!

digistyle

klondikemike
04-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Hello digistyle, and thanks for the compliment :) .
In daylight glaciers, of course, have more light blues and light blue-greens, but this one I decided on a dawn setting for time of day. Sunset would have had a pink-ish haze in the sky and highlights. I remember taking a short cruise out near some glaciers when I was a little kid and marvelled at the colors & sheer size of the prehistoric, icy blue cliffs.
Back then, ships were allowed to get much closer than they can today, and the captains had no restrictions on blasting their ship's horns to cause calving (when huge chunks of the glaciers face fall down into the ocean). Truly an awe-inspiring event.

------------
By coincidence, a friend recently showed me some glacier photos they took on their last vacation. They had this same blue cast. So, it was quite a treat to see your painting. Very nice work!

digistyle