PDA

View Full Version : Raven Over Shore

klondikemike
04-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Done with watercolor in Painter 9.5.
Original size is 16"x20" @ 200-dpi.

barryt
04-05-2006, 04:26 AM
I like that Mike, very bold to make the Raven that close. A good painting in spite of that funny stuff you use :)

Skinny
04-05-2006, 06:29 AM
I like it, too, Mike! The composition is very unusual...the bird is not the subject so much as a starring element. This allows us to appreciate the atmosphere as a whole. :thumbsup:

Yako
04-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Hmmm very relaxing to look at:) :clap: :thumbsup: ...I would add some light to the top of the bird

Elvira
04-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Very nice use of watercolours. I love the whole image, well done!!
Edie

klondikemike
04-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words Barry ("funny stuff you use"? :confused: ), Skinny, Kareen, and Edie :) .
This was the first time I'd used Painter's watercolor brushes. Wish they had a feature where one could "tilt" the canvas to control the direction of diffusion. Maybe it's in there somewhere and I just missed it?
Thanks, again :) .

barryt
04-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I was referring to that long list of equipment! Re Tilting, you can revolve the canvas easily using the tilt icon

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2006/70662-screen_copy.jpg

it's the one like a reload icon

klondikemike
04-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi Barry :) .
My wife laughed at me when I listed my hardware in my signature:o (she, by the way is a Mac person). Just an old habit from years of being a member of various computer tech forums. I'm a computer technician and I always wonder what others are using for their artwork (digital or traditional for that matter). And, since I have no catchphrase or interesting quote to put in my signature, I opted for geek-speak;) . Does this make me laughable to all:confused: :o ;) ?

And thanks for pointing out the "Tilt" button for me! That will be quite handy in the near future. I've been using Painter for a long time (since Painter 2.0), but rarely use the watercolor brushes (in fact, this piece is the only complete digital watercolor I've ever done). With "Tilt" available, I will definitely experiment with watercolor brushes as it's one of my favorite traditional medias.
Hmmm...I will also see about mapping it to one of the buttons/sliders on my tablet, or perhaps my keyboard. Could be interesting;).

Thank you again for the info!

klondikemike
04-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Just went into Painter to try out that feature only to find that it only controls the orientation of the work area ("Rotate Page"), but didn't seem to affect the direction of diffusion. Still a handy feature.
So I went in to the "Help File" (gasp!:rolleyes: ) to see what controls the angle of diffusion and it's in the "Brush Controls" palette under "Water". It contols the angle and amount of diffusion.
Doesn't seem to work with the "Digital Watercolor" brushes (greyed-out when using "Digital Watercolor"), but does work with the "Watercolor" brushes.
Not sure if I'll be able to map it out to the tablet sliders now. Will have to investigate the possibility.
Or, perhaps, the "Tilt" feature of the Wacom might be able to control this?

Would be nice if Wacom had a small gimballed add-on device that would allow people using watercolors to control the angle of the work surface in realtime to manipulate the diffusion direction & amount more like the real thing.
Perhaps someday...:rolleyes:

barryt
04-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Would be nice if Wacom had a small gimballed add-on device that would allow people using watercolors to control the angle of the work surface in realtime to manipulate the diffusion direction & amount more like the real thing.
Perhaps someday...:rolleyes:

Great Mike, then you could add that to your system list :)

klondikemike
04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
I think my wife has unofficially forbade me to add more hardware to my list for quite a while ;) (at least a year or two, anyways).

Chiers
04-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Mike I think your sky and the distant mountains are terrific. The waterline and ground could use a bit of work. Watercolors in real life are my bane and digi wc to me doesn't seem to replicate real ones very well most of the time anyway. However, you seem to do well with them.

Oh, and I am one who does enjoy knowing what equipment my fellow aritsts are using even though I am not a computer geek, but a computer know next to nothing. By the way, Wanna trade puters? I could use more power.

I have an athlon XP2200+ 1,800GHZ w/Quantispeed, (whatever the heck that is). Only a 60gig hard drive Nec multisync 97F 19" monitor, and need another video card before I can hook up another monitor I already have, a 17" emachines. An Epson stylus CX4600 and an old Epson stylus color 660 (a terrific printer! always reliable unlike the two Epsons I have purchased since this one.

klondikemike
04-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks Chiers :) .
This one started out as just a study in watercolor and, when it was finished I decided it was probably as good as I was going to get on that attempt.
When I say that watercolor is one of my favorite traditional medium, I should clarify that it is not one that seems to come naturally to me. I tend to want to "control" it too much and find achieving that loose and breezy effect very difficult. So I left this one as it is since it turned out better than I had hoped for ;) .
My main traditional color work is done with acrylics or airbrush, but I have been moving away from traditional media more and more through the years. I, like many aspiring artists, am yet another "Jack of all mediums, master of none" ;) .
As to trading systems, welll.... I have a hard enough time convincing my better half that I need what I have. It should last me for a couple more years (I built it almost 3 years ago), though I am addicted to tech and am always subconsciously hoping for a catastrophic hardware failure so I can upgrade to the latest & greatest. Sad to think that, for all the stuff I have in my system, it is still considered "middle-of-the-road". Still, it's plenty good enough for my uses ;) .

JCoop
04-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Mike, very nice painting... I realize that the bird is a sort of silhouette against the sky, but I can't help wonder how a few more hints of detail in the bird might add more dimension to the painting. Either way, fine job.:)

klondikemike
04-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks jcoop:) .

I've been experimenting with watercolors today and think that you are right about going back in and adding some highlights to the raven.

I guess that's why the big guy upstairs gave us artistic license ;) . So I guess I better use it or lose it:D .

I'll post an update later.

Here is a closeup as of now:
--------------------

LadyAlba
04-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Looking good and the highlights will really bring him to life! ;o)

omniartz
04-06-2006, 12:14 PM
your work is prolific! Wonderful!! :wave:

TxAggieDarlin
04-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I love your work...very clean and crisp............

and I did not know we had a "tilt" button LOL...

justjean
04-07-2006, 10:23 PM
I like your first one , to me it fits the mood and strength of the painting :)