PDA

View Full Version : question about paper

celticrichard
04-03-2006, 03:35 PM
hi.i want to do a calligraphy project but there is a problem with paper.the best i saw i can only get on the medieval fair in christmas.is there a good substitute?

artjunkie101
04-03-2006, 10:24 PM
I usually use lightly textured watercolor or pastel paper. Most of my calligraphy I do with a brush and ink/watercolor and I like the way it works with a little bit of texture. That's personal preference, though, and I'm sure if five other people reply they'll have five different answers. Experiment with what you like best. As for getting it, I'm not sure--online retailers may be your best bet if you don't have any brick-and-mortar art supply shops around you. Others may have a better idea of what's available to you in Spain. Good luck and have fun experimenting!

Merry Scribe
04-04-2006, 09:04 AM
I am a traditional calligrapher I profer using velium and dip pens. In Spain I would think that you would be able to get velium very easily. Now I make my own ink out of guache because I like being able to thicken my ink when I want to or make it thinner when I want to.

You might want to check your University art department book stores.

Good luck.

Brian :wave: :D

scribblet
04-15-2006, 11:01 AM
I am a traditional calligrapher I profer using velium and dip pens. In Spain I would think that you would be able to get velium very easily. Now I make my own ink out of guache because I like being able to thicken my ink when I want to or make it thinner when I want to.

You might want to check your University art department book stores.

Good luck.

Brian :wave: :D

Real vellum, I wish I could, not many places to buy it these days. There used to be a supplier in cavan, near Ottawa, but he went out of business a while ago.l

Re textured paper. My favourite is Arches Text Wove, its available from John Neal and Pen & Ink, probably other places. Its excellent for writing on and takes light watercolour very well.

Merry Scribe
04-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Real vellum, I wish I could, not many places to buy it these days. There used to be a supplier in cavan, near Ottawa, but he went out of business a while ago.l

Re textured paper. My favourite is Arches Text Wove, its available from John Neal and Pen & Ink, probably other places. Its excellent for writing on and takes light watercolour very well.

You can get real vellium on line at Dick Blick there is a store near me and that is where I get it. You can also get it at university book stores in the art section of the store.

Brian your friendly nieghborhood scribe.:wave: :D

scribblet
04-15-2006, 06:05 PM
You can get real vellium on line at Dick Blick there is a store near me and that is where I get it. You can also get it at university book stores in the art section of the store.

Brian your friendly nieghborhood scribe.:wave: :D

I know I can get it from mail order but its pricey, then I'd also have to make my own quills, too much work, they don't last very long. One of these days I'll try it. I have a small piece of kangaroo vellum I was given a long time ago, I've been hanging on to it, have to go look for it now.