04-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi all,
This is on Wallis, Unisons, 16x20.
It's been too long since I posted! :smug:
Cindy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2006/51674-WaterWorld_7345.jpg

Trilby
04-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Oh Cindy! Great! You've so captured the little girl delight and the wet. Just might clarify what she's holding in her hand a bit, I can't tell if it's a floaty or a bottle.
TJ

dlake
04-03-2006, 12:44 AM
wow, as I scrolled I first thought that was a photo. amazing. You really did a super job. And the water while this cutie swims. wow.

M Douglas
04-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Absolutely FANTASTIC. I love it.

Melodie

Dark_Shades
04-03-2006, 04:01 AM
Great job Cindy, love the refraction, placement is brilliant too, love the grin

Tressa
04-03-2006, 07:14 AM
This is great Cindy!!! Is it a boat she is holding?
Love the water, and the kid makes me long for summer!!! :)
Tres

KA Obee
04-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Did you do this over the weekend??? I LOVE it!!! The energy! the composition! the colors! Wonderful!
KA

CindyW
04-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks much for the very nice comments, TJ, Diane, Melodie, Dawn, Tres, and KA! It sure was a splendid Saturday spent with the chalkies.
TJ and Tres, it's a toy boat underwater.....TJ, I'm not sure if I can fake additional pronouncement without the actual item in front of me. I'll give it a try, tho, thanks!
KA, yah, on Saturday. To save time and pastels as well as the effect I get from it, I first paint with a brush with turpenoid and pastel for a base to work on top of...it lets more color peek out between the applied pastel strokes. Time well spent, just as you found, too, huh? :) !!!!
Cindy

Sketchcny
04-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Cindy, what a fun painting!!!!!! Very nicely done! I love the movement in the water and the child's expression conveys her excitement. :clap:

Paul

KA Obee
04-03-2006, 11:26 AM
That sounds like an interesting technique. I think I'll try that on my next painting. Way back when, I used to do an underpainting of a mix of acrilyc gel medium/pumice stone and acrylic paint. I would do the underpainting in the opposite temperatures as the actual painting. Besides the wonderful effect it had, it also gave me a chance to plan my painting at a very early stage. I can't wait to try your technique. Ithink I even have turpinod left over from my foray into oil paints.
KA

KA Obee
04-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Cindy,
When you get a second, will you explain how you do that? Do you just lay the pastel on the paper in broad (flat side of stick) strokes and then go over it with a the turpenoid to flatten the area out?
KA

CindyW
04-03-2006, 12:18 PM
That sounds like an interesting technique. I think I'll try that on my next painting. Way back when, I used to do an underpainting of a mix of acrilyc gel medium/pumice stone and acrylic paint. I would do the underpainting in the opposite temperatures as the actual painting. Besides the wonderful effect it had, it also gave me a chance to plan my painting at a very early stage. I can't wait to try your technique. Ithink I even have turpinod left over from my foray into oil paints.
KA
Hey KA...
A good friend of mine told me about this method..she's a fulltime landscape oil painter and does a healthy amount of pasteling in there, too. So I tried it and just loved how relatively fast it dried as well as how quickly I could fill the paper background with colors. If you look at some of my posts from last year I did show the progression of a few, from the first underpaintings. Yah, I like both opposite temp colors and same or deeper colors as the finished painting. I'm sure there are many many ways to do an underpainting...I just haven't changed/experimented since this works for me and I have so little painting time at this point!
As to how I do this....I just put pleasing colors in areas and quickly scribble color onto the surface. Then take the brush and liquid and paint away to cover the surface. It does take some experimenting with how much pastel you put down as well as the kind of brush strokes you use and how much turpenoid. I actually loved some of these underpaintings I did last year as is, they were so loose and mysterious and very intriguing. Abstract is a fantastic realm. Thanks for asking, KA!
Cindy

*Marina*
04-03-2006, 12:29 PM
You have done a great job on this one. The way the girl is lying in the water is so realistic. It reminds me of my own kids when they were learning to swim hardly being able to keep their heads above water. Is she your own daughter?

tURBOCAT
04-03-2006, 02:27 PM
This is truly fabulous. The colors and texture are perfect. Makes me smile, too>

Johnnie

KJSCL
04-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Great painting Cindy. You really nailed the underwater effect on her body. Very nicely done!

ColorOfMagic
04-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Cindy: I like the way you applied your strokes to do the water.. very painterly effect :thumbsup: !

The first pastel workshop I ever took was in 1988 in the Fairhope AL art center with Albert Handell. He used the pastel/turp. underpainting method in his demo...

Jim

. To save time and pastels as well as the effect I get from it, I first paint with a brush with turpenoid and pastel for a base to work on top of...it lets more color peek out between the applied pastel strokes. Time well spent, just as you found, too, huh? :) !!!!
Cindy

Mike_Beeman
04-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Beautiful job...you can almost smell the water!! Love it!

Karen Margulis
04-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Oh It's such a wonderful painting! I love the way you did the water! can't stop wanting to look at it! Great job!
Karen

bjcpaints
04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Wonderful work Cindy!! You are inspiring me to try humans!
Barbara

Bringer
04-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Cindy,

This is really great. A fine theme, a good composition and a great achievement.
I would like to see some more visible sun sparkling on the water, but that's just a personal aesthetic opinion.

Regards,

Josť

CindyW
04-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Wow, everyone, thanks so much!
Paul, KA, Marina, Johnnie, Kathy, Jim, Mike, Karen, Barbara, and Josť. Thanks to you for your much appreciated support!
Josť, I'm still working on adding more of my own thinking to my photo reference instead of following it exactly...still have a long ways to go to bring more to it from my experiences in life instead of just trying to finish a piece. This pic actually already left my hands so I'll remember your suggestion for the next one, thanks!
Cindy

judwal
04-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Lovely. I love the way you captured the sparkling water and those turquoise colors are yummy!

Bhavana Vijay
04-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Wow!!!!I just love this painting Cindy.Love the comp, the water, her expression...its excellent!

Merriel
04-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Cindy. Wonderfull. You sure captured the spirit of this little girl. I'd leave
the boat alone as all I want to look at is the little girl. I think the underpainting is a very good idea. I use denatured alcohol with my unerpaintings it dries almost immediately so my paper doesn't warp as much
if I use turpenoid. I only do it on Ersta or Wallis though. Also I think my colors are birghter, but maybe not. Love
this. thanks for sharing.

leirrem

CindyW
04-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks much, Judy, Bhavana, and Leirrem! It was a fine day...any day is fine to be able to paint!
Leirrem, I definitely use the Wallis for this reason now. I like the speed of drying. I didn't think of the warp paper would get from liquid because I haven't seen it with this but you are right about that. Glad to share!
Do you like the Ersta paper?
Cindy

t-sue
04-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Ohhhh, Cindy!!! I love everything about this!!! The color of the water made me instantly smell chlorine and coconut suntan lotion!!!!! As soon as I saw your painting I wanted to jump in the pool... good thing I don't have a pool anymore since it's in the thirties tonight!!! :p You've done a superb job on this one... just love it!!!!!

Kathryn Wilson
04-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Cindy, great job on this - love the water with all the sparkles and ripples. What colors did you use on the underpainting?

Kathryn Wilson
04-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Cindy, great job on this - love the water with all the sparkles and ripples. What colors did you use on the underpainting?

binkie
04-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Cindy, this is awesome. I love it!

binkie

Artaholic
04-05-2006, 02:23 AM
Cindy, lovely, I thought that was a boat, you really captured the moment.

CindyW
04-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks much, Tammy, Kat, Binkie, and Gerry!
Tammy, this painting takes the place of the island rocks/water pic I said I was going to put tropical fish in. I could no longer work satisfactorily with the paper of that painting and I dislike fixative at this point in my artwork so, I'm happy with this turquoise blue painting instead! I'll have to do another water piece from the islands on Wallis.
Kat, I do like using opposite underpainting colors but for this one I used just one turquoise blue, I forget the exact color as I'm at work right now, and it worked well with the markings, letting the base blue peek through. I actually don't know if I had used an opposite color how it would've looked although I certainly will try it in the future just to see what comes of it. Could be fun!
I'm just anxious to get another bit of free time to keep on painting. Sigh.
Cindy

Rose Baggs
04-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Great job on this Cindy!!!