PDA

View Full Version : Painter IX grid question

LJW
04-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi,
I'm an oil landscape painter who primarily uses Painter IX for photo editing, trying out modifications to my scanned paintings, and working out compositions. Since many of you seem to use Painter, I'm posting my question here.

To avoid placing my horizon line half way up the canvas and to place my focal point according to the "rule of thirds", I would like to be able to fit a grid over my image, dividing it horizontally and vertically in thirds. This is easy to do in Photoshop Elements by choosing 33.3% but I can't get a similar result in Painter. In fact, I can't figure out what Painter's percentage choice is doing at all! :confused: I have the User Guide and I checked the help, but neither explains what percentage should do. I hope there is some simple way to create the grid. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jane

Jin
04-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi Jane,

It's easy to set up a non-printing grid to divide your image in thirds both horizontally and vertically.

Why Using Percent as the Unit of Measure Can Be Confusing:

Since the unit of measure, Percent, affects the existing Grid spacing settings, unless the Grid spacing in pixels is set to the full horizontal and vertical measurement of your Canvas, you won't be able to change the Grid spacing using Percent and have the resulting Grid spacing 33.3% horizontally and vertically. In other words, if your Canvas is 3000 pixels wide x 1500 pixels high, your existing Grid spacing would have to be:

Horizontal Spacing: 3000 pixels
Vertical Spacing: 1500 pixels

If the existing Grid Spacing were, for instance, Horizontal: 300 pixels, Vertical: 150 pixels using Percent as the unit of measure and changing the Grid Horizontal Spacing to 33.3% and Vertical Spacing to 33.3%, the result would be a Grid with:

Horizontal Spacing: 100 pixels
Vertical Spacing: 50 pixels

Using Pixels as the Unit of Measure:

For this example, I've used Canvas dimensions easy to divide in thirds but it can be done with any dimensions:

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/rule_of_thirds_grid_demo.jpg

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/rule_of_thirds_grid_options.jpg

Corel Painter IX screen prints are 2004 Corel Corporation, reprinted by permission.

Skinny
04-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Wonderful information, Jin! :clap: I, too, have struggled wit the grid.

Jin
04-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi Skinny,

Most of the info above is in Help > Help Topics:

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > The Basics

On the right panel, click the link named "Working with Rulers, Guides, and Grids".

On the next page, scroll down to the section named "Using the Grid".

I'd forgotten about this, but reading that section quickly tonight, I was reminded that we can "print the Grid lines". If you choose that Effects menu option, the Grid is displayed on the Canvas. If you then Select > All, click inside the selection with the Layer Adjuster tool, and lift the Canvas to a Layer, the printable Grid lines are now on the Layer and the Canvas is again blank. Using this feature might be helpful sometimes as the Grid lines can be any color, including black, and the Layer's Composite Method can be changed to Gel to make the white background transparent.

Will have to play with that a bit to see what interesting uses can be made of a printable Grid.

LJW
04-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi Jin,
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I followed your instructions and got exactly what I wanted. I have the tendency when playing around with a photo to forget about the position of the horizon and only notice after I have printed out the image that I've got it wrong. I won't have any excuses for poor compositions now!

Jane

Jin
04-03-2006, 04:28 AM
Jane,

Thanks for letting me know you've got your horizon under control. ;)

Now you'll have to show us some of your landscapes!