PDA

View Full Version : Week 14 Classical Art Journey

Nickel
04-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Howdy! welcome to week 14!!!!!!!!!!on our classical art journey.

Something new this week...:)

Who can tell me where it comes from

"I've got the willies!"

Is it Romantic or Classical?

I'll be back a little later to tell more unless you tell first:D

Oh, and post your work, where did you go? who did you see?

Nicest people on Wetcanvas are here. :thumbsup:

See you soon Nickel

Oh and there is a flying saucer in my front yard, really, no, really, no, April Fools!!!!:)

tyree
04-01-2006, 07:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2006/65063-frag.jpg This is from the French Rococo painter Jean-Honore Fragonard 1732-1806...Venus and Cupid...an interesting period...this is from my History of Art Book by H W Janson about Fragonard I quote " Fragonards paintings are diverse, ranging from erotic fantasies to intimate studies and pastoral landscapes, all marked by the extraordinary virtuosity that made him the finest pure painter of his generation. He had the misfortune to outlive his era. His pictures became outmoded as the French Revolution approached, and he was reduced to poverty after 1789. Later he was supported only by a curatorship to which he was appointed in 1793 by Jacques-Louis David who recognized his achievement, although their styles were diametrically opposed. He died virtually forgotten in the heyday of the Napoleonic era." My copy is graphite, coloured pencil, pastel on smooth bristol....tyree:wave:

tyree
04-01-2006, 07:30 PM
ive got the willies....hmmmm....Little Feat...1970's group????:lol: :p :wink2:

PushingPixels
04-01-2006, 07:48 PM
LOL Nickel I'd say that is a classical statement if I have ever heard one. I'm called the search queen at work but I could find no reference of origination or who said it first. The connotation of course is when youre so scarred you shiver down to your toes. And then there are the wet willies (do you know what that is?) . And then I stumbled across people who want to get the willies by staying in a haunted house.
http://www.43things.com/things/view/197274

If I had to quess it sounds like something Mark Twain might have had Tom Sawyer say.

My favorite find was "The Little Willies" a band featuring Nora Jones as lead so there ya go. Great sound so I'm planning on going out right now to get "The little Willies" HA HA
http://www.myspace.com/thelittlewillies

PushingPixels
04-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Fragonards paintings are diverse, ranging from erotic fantasies to intimate studies and pastoral landscapes, all marked by the extraordinary virtuosity that made him the finest pure painter of his generation. He had the misfortune to outlive his era. His pictures became outmoded as the French Revolution approached, and he was reduced to poverty after 1789. Later he was supported only by a curatorship to which he was appointed in 1793 by Jacques-Louis David who recognized his achievement, although their styles were diametrically opposed. He died virtually forgotten in the heyday of the Napoleonic era." [/I]My copy is graphite, coloured pencil, pastel on smooth bristol....tyree:wave:

I've always admired his work what a sad poitrait of a very acomplished painter thanks for sharing... I just read a ficional novel based during the time of the French Revolution - I wonder if he fell out of favor due to his association with the unpopular royal class .. hummm.

rosebard
04-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi Nickel, Susan and Barb. :) New week ahead of us. Cool!!

No clue what you talking about Nickel. :) I better wait for you to come back and show what it is.

Susan very nice rendition. Loved the colors and softness. Poor Fragonard.

Talking about journey, here is a new thread I have started today about my self-portrait. It is really a challenge and a journey to me. Just like to share with my Journey friends.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337623

:)

Nickel
04-02-2006, 01:39 AM
LOL, Susan, Barbara, Rose, you girls are killing me, hehe. Do you want me to tell yet? :) You've gave me some I haven't heard of ...:)

Susan, she is so pretty! She is so french with the flower and rosy cheeks! Nice!
I love reading Janson.

I almost know someone is going to know. Drats, I am having fun reading willies or wanties.....

Nickel
04-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I got the willies.

From Act II Giselle, Ballet 1841, Romanticism

An ill-fated love story from a village on the Rhine.

Act I

A young beautiful peasant girl falls in love with an aristocrat Albrecht who pretended to be a peasant to win her heart. Giselle loves to dance, but her mother Berthe warns her to beware her weak heart, lest she die from the strain. Nevertheless, Giselle dances with her lover and her friends.

Hilarion, a peasant who loves Giselle, discovers Albrecht has deceived Giselle. He is enganged to Bathilda, a beautiful noble-woman. When Giselle discovers that her lover has betrayed her with another, she rips out her hair in a fit of rage and dies of a broken heart.

Act II

A graveyard in the forest at midnight…….

Hilarion visits Giselle’s grave. He is disturbed by a sense of an ominous presence. He feels the willies and leaves. But he returns.

Giselle is called from her grave by Myrta and ordered to dance Hilarion to fatal exhaustion.

Albrecht riddled with guilt and grief visits Giselle’s grave. He feels a presence that is frightening but alluring.

Myrta orders Giselle to dance Albrecht to death. Giselle pleads to spare him, but Myrta refuses. Soon they are dancing in a mad whirl of passion. It seems Albrecht is doomed but with the sounding of the morning church bells, dawn approaches, and Albrecht is spared his life, but Giselle dances away with his heart forever.

Wilis are the ghost of tortured young women who have been jilted by their lovers before the wedding day. Nightfall is their only time to wreak havoc on men. When men come into the forest, the Willies capture them by using their feminine wiles as bait and force them to dance to their death. Any man who happens upon the Wilis between dusk and dawn is doomed by Myrta, the Queen of the Wilis and her clan of jaded spirits.

“The Hamlet of Ballet.”

“The unbridgeable gap between belief in the simple happiness of long ago places and the dark brooding disasters of unattainable love.”

http://www.balletmet.org/Notes/Giselle.html

http://www.artslynx.org/dance/agiselle.htm

http://www.ballet.org.uk/reference/notes/giselle/

AriadneArts
04-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Hah, Nickel. Should have known that because I've seen that particular ballet far too many times.

Susan, beautiful study of Fragonard. Love your colors. And thanks for the info. Fragonard, le pauvre! :crying:

My offering was supposed to be for Week 13, but I didn't finish the drawing until today. I'm going to try to do it in color by the end of this week. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Une Plaisanterie (A Joke) Arnaut Blowing Smoke in His Dog's Face by Jean-Leon Gerome

Original:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2006/6306-Un_Plaisanterie_rz--Gerome_1882.jpg

My Study: 6" x 7-1/2" graphite on Art Spectrum Colourfix. I've never used this paper before and I think I'm in love!!! I think the color is called 'sand.'
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2006/6306-Arnaut_Blowing_Smoke_at_His_Dog_3_rz.jpg

rosebard
04-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Wow Eilleen! That is really nice. Bravo. :)

PushingPixels
04-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Beautiful Job Aridne - and i like the subject-- exotic.
This week I broke out my color pensils. The image on the left is near to the original I darkened the values some in Photoshop. THE ONE ON THE RIGHT HAS BEEN ALTERED WITH VARIOUS FILTERS AND LIGHTING EFFECTS.

sorry cap key stuck.

So which do you prefer. It is after Ingress. The bather
http://www.wga.hu/index1.html

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2006/44004-afterIngress-copy.jpg

AriadneArts
04-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for your nice comments on my drawing, Rose and Barbara.

Barbara, you did a beautiful job on this piece of Ingres. Both are very nice, but I think I prefer your original. Very different from my drawing of this in Week 2, and I really like your colors. I love to see different artists' renditions of these classical pieces.

BTW, I also broke out the colored pencils and am doing the 'smoke-blowing arnaut' pic with them. Hopefully I'll have it done by this Saturday, so it can be my entry for Week 14. Then I'll be totally caught up.

rosebard
04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Talking about exotics that is. Love that painting and you did great job. It is beautifull. I love the darker version of it. :)

What a story Nickel. Never could have guessed but enjoyed it a lot. :)

Nickel
04-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi Eileen, Cool drawing, I like it now before the color,:thumbsup: I can see better what is going on. I think that dog is gonna bite that guy. Stop that smoke. :lol:
Now I do want to see the color. You are keeping up better than I. Hurt my back last week, five days of pain. But started to feel less hurt last night.

Barbara, I like both.:D I am drawn more toward the intenser deeper jewel colors.
I think the violet drapery, towel she is sitting on adds a regal feel more so than the bluer version. But I love the rose color dapery in the first and teal carpet. So am I any help? :)

Tomorrow, I hope to get back to the easel. At least to pack it up. :) I will be leaving this week to visit my daughter. Will be gone until after Easter. She lives at the coast. I hope to at least get a chance to paint one day at the shore. Never done that before. And I want to get some pics to bring back to share with you.

Barb will be hosting week 15 for our journey.

Would anyone like to volunteer for week 16 or any other week?

I would like for us all to be as included as much as possible. I love hosting for sure, but would like to see you all host too if you wanted to. Think about it, you know the rules, not many, :) fun, excitement, experience, I can't imagine where you would take us, a new sight, someplace special, someone you find interesting or a challenge or a riddle. :thumbsup:

Just post here if you want to host week 16 or another week. Thanks so much!
:wave: Nickel

AriadneArts
04-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Nickel, take care of your back, this is coming from one who knows. Having a huge setback with mine this past week--comes and goes (well it never 'goes' entirely, unfortunately :rolleyes: ). I do hope you get better soon. Maybe a relaxing week with your daughter will do the trick. And, yes. Be sure and bring us some pix.

Thanks for your remarks re: my drawing. I think I too like it better as a drawing without the color. Or, maybe I'm just not that good with color. Anyway, the color version is coming along, slowly but surely.

If you'd like, I'll host Week 16 for you. No problem. But I don't know about putting the pix in the gallery after the week is over. Barb will have to show me how.

Nickel
04-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Cool Eileen, thanks, for hosting 16. I hope everyone will host a week or two. As far as the gallery, if you and the others don't mind waiting a week for an update, I can catch that up when I get back. I only resize to 200 pixels wide and the tall is matched automatically. Oh, I am sure I will like your color! It is a charming picture. You don't know what he was smoking in that pics, and what it is doing to that dog???? :eek:

I was thinking of you and your back, and wanting to raid your meds for pain pills. :) I have a little dog, 14 years old, can't get in or out to do his duty. So I carry him. Such a momma I am. Well he can't help he is old. ;) like me, I am wearing out. But still good sometimes as when younger as long as I am not caring around an old 14 year dog.

Thanks for helping me out, I need to see daughter, get a hug, a piece of cake, some coffee, smell the salt air, relax and laugh. :wave:

Anyone else want to host????:D :D :D

AriadneArts
04-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Cool Eileen, thanks, for hosting 16. I hope everyone will host a week or two. As far as the gallery, if you and the others don't mind waiting a week for an update, I can catch that up when I get back. I only resize to 200 pixels wide and the tall is matched automatically.

You're welcome, Nickel. I'm happy to help.

Oh, I am sure I will like your color! It is a charming picture. You don't know what he was smoking in that pics, and what it is doing to that dog???? :eek:

LOLOL, Nickel. Well, it is the Mediteranean or the Middle East or North Africa a while back, so we can probably guess what's in the narghile. Maybe the dog enjoyed sharing it with him. :evil: :cool:

I was thinking of you and your back, and wanting to raid your meds for pain pills. :) I have a little dog, 14 years old, can't get in or out to do his duty. So I carry him. Such a momma I am. Well he can't help he is old. ;) like me, I am wearing out. But still good sometimes as when younger as long as I am not caring around an old 14 year dog.

Ahhhhh, I do the same sorts of things for my 4 legged companions. They do so much just being there for us, eh? If your back is that painful, though, perhaps you should see your doc and get something for the pain, especially since you're going to travel.

Thanks for helping me out, I need to see daughter, get a hug, a piece of cake, some coffee, smell the salt air, relax and laugh. :wave:

Anyone else want to host????:D :D :D

I think your visit to your daughter sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Don't worry about things here. Just have yourself a nice, relaxing time.

Nickel
04-04-2006, 11:18 PM
LOL, they raid the tent with food after they finish smoking, ahhhhhh, you are a dream Eileen. Made me think of my grandmother growing real deal poppies in the late seventies. She didn't know she couldn't, police gently informed her, it was a no-no; they rearranged the flower bed minus poppies. Thanks

AriadneArts
04-04-2006, 11:26 PM
LOL, they raid the tent with food after they finish smoking, ahhhhhh, you are a dream Eileen. Made me think of my grandmother growing real deal poppies in the late seventies. She didn't know she couldn't, police gently informed her, it was a no-no; they rearranged the flower bed minus poppies. Thanks

Your grandma sounds like she is/was a cutie. (Makes me wonder how she came by those 'real deal' poppies.) Love adventurous older folks! They never really age.

Fish<><
04-05-2006, 12:31 AM
My golly gee!!! I miss a couple days and it takes hours to get caught up. When do you people paint and draw ?!?!? :lol:

I've been really busy with some works from the WDE and WDT over this weekend so haven't really got a ref yet for this week (uh oh).

Great work so far!

Tyree, I love your bright colors.
Pixel - I like the figure on the left and the background on the right.
Eileen - Great drawing! Look forward to seeing it complete!

Did I forget anyone? Hope not. Being one of the few men on this trip, I don't want to get a case of the willies! :lol: Speaking of which... I got a Willie's down the road a little way here in the Cincinnati area. They have really good wings if you are ever in my neck of the woods. ;)

Mony G
04-05-2006, 04:13 AM
My golly gee!!! I miss a couple days and it takes hours to get caught up. When do you people paint and draw ?!?!? :lol:

I've been really busy with some works from the WDE and WDT over this weekend so haven't really got a ref yet for this week (uh oh).

Great work so far!

Tyree, I love your bright colors.
Pixel - I like the figure on the left and the background on the right.
Eileen - Great drawing! Look forward to seeing it complete!

Did I forget anyone? Hope not. Being one of the few men on this trip, I don't want to get a case of the willies! :lol: Speaking of which... I got a Willie's down the road a little way here in the Cincinnati area. They have really good wings if you are ever in my neck of the woods. ;)

Hi everybody!.. I'm new here... I like all the works very much ...I sometimes like copying classical art myself!
May I join you ?..do you like my copy .... a detail from the"Lady with a Hermine" by Leonardo da Vinci? ( I love that painting... I've also chosen it as my avatar)
...the hand seems to have come out somehow chubbier than the original one. doesn't it? ( I don't feel like correcting it)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2006/77963-copia_da_Leonardo-_dama_con_ermellino.JPG

Cheers
Mony G :)

Fish<><
04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Mony - Welcome! You are more than welcome to join us and I am excited to have you after seeing this. Great work! Is that graphite pencil? I think what might be making your hand look a little "chubbier" is the finger on top. It looks a little more spread out than in the original.

Thanks for stopping in. I can't wait to see more of your work!

AriadneArts
04-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi Mony, and welcome to the project! You have chosen one of my favorite paintings and your study is stunning! What medium did you use and what support is it on? I love the texture. Lovely work!

rosebard
04-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi Nickel dear. Backache is terrible. Glad to hear you feeling little bit better. Do take care of yourself and have a good time over your daughter. Painting by the shore? Wow that should be lovely! Cant wait to see the pics. :)

Week 17 can be mine. :)

Hi Mony, Welcome to Classical Art forum and to our fun Journey! Very nice work indeed. :)

Hi Keith, Barbara and Eilleen!!! :)

I will probably sketch something this week because I am fighting a cold I got couple of days ago and being busy focusing on my SP. I want to find something like last week. I loved doing that sketch from Grosz. :)

Nickel
04-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi Monty, welcome:wave: cool drawing, so nice, I think the hand is good, and I love the little dog paw. You can really feel the weight :thumbsup: Welcome again!

Hi Keith, what is on the menu at Willies? :D Bride&Groom -on- a- stick ? :evil: Sounds like a charming place to dine :D :wave: but only before dusk if your male :lol:

Eileen, my grandmother, she's gone, :( but I see her each time I look in the mirror or if my sister is around, she always says I have her nose :D . Yep, times change, grandmother would have me jumping through the all kinds of jungles of old abandon homes, graveyards, and such digging up roots. I still grow seven sister roses and peonies from her yard now. ((no poppies)) I had a good time with her. Now who know what we will be able to salvage in years to come with bio-engineered sterile seeds and what they will do to humans who eat the harvest, not to mention the effect on bees. Of course, I read, no problems, right :rolleyes: I don't believe everything.

Nickel
04-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey Rose, colds this year have really stayed around too long! Hope you feel better! And thanks, the back is much better, no advil pain meds today, yet, and Thanks for week 17. I can't wait to read each and everyone of the next 3 so far. I am in for a surprise !!!!!!!!!!!!Cool! And Rose, your work is really getting so much better, you are a busy little bee. Painting from life is good! I will look forward to your next journey art!

AriadneArts
04-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Nickel and Barb: It occurs to me that perhaps we should sticky a list of Week numbers and who's hosting them. Sound like a plan?

Nickel, what a wonderful legacy of memories and plants your wonderful grandma left you! How fortunate for you. Makes me smile. :)

Mony G
04-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi Mony, and welcome to the project! You have chosen one of my favorite paintings and your study is stunning! What medium did you use and what support is it on? I love the texture. Lovely work!

Thank you all for the compliments!... It's really encouraging for me!

I just simply used graphite 3B pencil on Fabriano rough paper... glad to know you liked my worK!....

:clap: :clap: ....Mony

Nickel
04-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Eileen Good Idea! stickie with weeks! :)

Hi Mony, yes, we like your work :)

Very nice to meet you and very nice to have you on our journey!

Nickel

tyree
04-05-2006, 07:10 PM
hi everyone!!! sorry i havent been around much this week, down with a cold/cough:crying: nickel...hope your back is doing much much better for your trip, we are so going to miss you and your funny stories....your such a great host!!!! eileen...i love your drawing this week,, ive studied this interesting painting before, and im going to have to try that paper youve discovered...great study!!!! barb...lovely rendition, i prefer the darker version, does make it have a richer look!!! mony...welcome ...what a great drawing, thanks for joining us!!! hi keith!!! ......tyree:clap: :wave:

Nickel
04-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Susan, I need to get you and Rose both some hot chicken soup to feel better! Those colds are rotten:( Hope you feel better. Psst, I will be around, in the back seat eating, cracking jokes, super glueing quarters to the ground when we stop for lunch so we can see how many people try to pick it up, sticking gum in your paint box, I might whistle, sing, dance a jig, sleep and looking out the window while you guys are driving! :) You got insurance right?:) Your not going to leave me at the gas station, right? :0)

PushingPixels
04-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Welcome Mony glad to see you joining us. I love your drawing, finely executed. Nice to see new faces.

Fish<><
04-05-2006, 11:54 PM
:lol: Nickel - hmmmmm, You forgot me back in the first couple weeks so I might have to take a turn at this driving thing. :lol:

Geez guys I can't find anything "inspiring" me this week. :( I've been so busy with some other things that I just don't know what to do. Back to the ARC for some more browsing. I'll find something......soon, I hope.

Nickel
04-06-2006, 10:28 PM
:lol: Nickel - hmmmmm, You forgot me back in the first couple weeks so I might have to take a turn at this driving thing. :lol:

I know, and I am afraid ((blinkie eyes, blinkie eyes)) :)

Nickel
04-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Ok, here is a painting I did years ago, yes I know I am cheating, ((just a little)) but I just have to show you something to remember me by while I am gone. Most people don't really like this one but I do :) so it is one I put up for Christmas, I like the message. I call it early Nickel :angel:
Will miss you all while I bask in the sun, relaxed, eating cookies and drinking milk! :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2006/39040-week14.jpg

rosebard
04-06-2006, 10:54 PM
I had an injection today to take care of my cold that turned into a flu and didnt allow me to make any art today. Not even draw. LOLOLOL

The good thing is I have found another victim for my sketches, but if only I can make her still LOLOL. Who know I did try today. Anyway, it is a puppy that came dont know from where and landed in my yard. We all gave us different names. LOLOL

Nickel that is sweet. I love the colors for sure and the theme is a very good one. Reminds us of someone very special. :) Enjoy your time and hard to forget you dear!! :) You special too. :)

Hey Keith hope you get something out there for us. OOOPs I need to get something myself.

See you guys!!:)

tyree
04-06-2006, 10:55 PM
nickel...hope you have a wonderful cookie eatin' trip!!!! enjoy!!!! your xmas scene is colourfully beautiful!!!! tyree:wave: :wink2: :heart:

tyree
04-06-2006, 11:00 PM
rose...we cross posted!!! im so sorry yours turned into the flu...liquids, sleep and hot toddies!!! a new puppy...neat...i think her name should be rosebud!!!! tyree:wave:

AriadneArts
04-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Nickel, how lovely. Not cheating--how could it be? I've never seen it before and I'm happy to.

Here's my offering for Week 14. Am I cheating? This is merely a colored version of Week 13's entry. Do ya think I overdid the smoke? You could hardly tell it was smoke in the original. Poor dog......:( Arnaut Blowing Smoke, etc. CP on Colourfix paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2006/6306-Arnaut_blowing_smoke_at_his_dog_rz_final.jpg

Have a great vacation, Nickel. Bring back lots of pix, 'kay?

Fish<><
04-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Nickel - Great Painting! Thanks so much for sharing that. :)

Eileen - Good finish, although I don't know why he's blowing smoke in that dogs face. :confused: :lol:

I just couldn't find anything in that "classical" category this week. I just had one of those weeks where nothing seemed to quite work out for me. Anyways, I used that "dusting" technique again and played with a reference pic out of a little book I have about Degas. This is what I came up with...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2006/54332-14_Degas.jpg

I know its a little out of the time frame we're looking at. :( I'll do better next week.

rosebard
04-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi Guys feeling much better today. Medicine is working out and my energy is coming back. Two days without sketching, drawing or painting. Well, I did Mickey Mouse's girlfriend - Miney with my daughter. Does it count? LOLOL

I bought her a small sketchpad so I can start giving her some lessons on form, shades, and so on. I did that because she tried to draw Miney and it didnt look like it at all. So I showed her why and how to do it. It was fun. :)

Eilleen wow that look amazingly beautifull! Gosh that is cps?? What a great job.

Keith your drawings are so awesome too. This week no exception. And I love Degas with his bailarines.

Nothing from me this week. But next week I am in. :)

Susan I hope you feeling better yourself.

:)

bjs0704
04-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Here's a link to the new thread.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339374

Barb:cat:

tyree
04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
eileen...the colours are nicely muted,,perfect for this erotic painting...keith...love your new method, great for degas' little ballerina..tyree:wave:

Fish<><
04-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys and gals. Sorry I been so out of loop lately. I'll try to do better next week. ;)

AriadneArts
04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks for your comments, Nickel, Rose, Keith, and Tyree.

Keith, I think you did a lovely job on Degas' Ballerina. I've seen the original and it is simply lovely. Did you know that he used a real tutu? Amazingly innovative and works beautifully.

Nickel
04-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi Everyone, Starting to get my sea legs back, slowly, anyway, I hope Susan and Barb are feeling better.

Eileen, I do love the way you showed the smoke and the look on the doggie,
PRICELESS :D Very beautiful. :thumbsup:

Keith, great choice with the Little Dancer. She is lovely and oh so sweet! I like very much how you have created her. :thumbsup: Very good choice! :)

And thanks for the nice comments on my Nativity. :wave: