PDA

View Full Version : The "Mix" for April

Mary Woodul
04-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Good morning everyone!:wave: Hope everyone is having a nice restful Saturday morning. April first and Happy April Fool's day!

I usually rush on Saturdays since we go out to the ranch and check on the cattle but the weekend out there is usually restful and inspiring. The cactus flowers are in full bloom and last week I was able to take a couple of pictures. My session didn't last long as I was scared away by a huge swarm of bees that flew overhead and since there are African bees in Mexico, I almost paniced but fortunately didn't run because I was in the middle of nowhere and could have not taken cover anyplace.

These are two pictures and I hope to upload some in the IRL. If anyone is inspired by these you are free to used them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2006/43096-cactus_flower2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2006/43096-Cactus_flower_1.jpg

Chris, I hope your weather has improved and you are working hard at your gorgeous garden.

Tereza, I hope your problems with the elctricity have improved.

Li, it is so good to see around when you have the time. We really miss you.:)

Howard, I am enjoying your art so much and learning from you knowledge of balance and color. That is one of my weak spots in abstract art. I came across a book last week in San Miguel Allende (an artist's haven in Mexico), that I will hope will help me an get me back to my mixed media work. The book is Abstract painting by Vicky Perry. I hope to read it this weekend.

Tereza, I hope your problems with the electricity have been solved.

Wendy, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Azyl, Sonia and everyones else, remember you are welcome to post and share any thoughts, pictures suggestions in this thread anytime. We love to chat!:D

Julier
04-01-2006, 09:23 PM
the cactus are just beautiful,my favorite colors and all that texture to booth. Would make a fine water color ......Julie

quirky
04-02-2006, 03:52 AM
Hi everyone,
I should be paying bills & doing my homework but I decided to have a cup of tea and visit everyone in the MM forum.:)

Mary - I'll be very interested to see what you think of that book. It is one that I looked at. I have just finished teaching a 7-week course of Painting in Acrylics at Sydney Community College (evening college). I specifically said that the students didn't have to be able to draw, so I got many who wanted to do abstract. I found that the Mary Todd Beam book was WONDERFUL for giving them ideas. But I don't have a book on abstract painting and I did look at that one.

I just ordered 3 books from amazon.com - Creative Composition & Design by Pat Dews - Painting the Digital River by James Faure Walker and Expressive Handmade Books by Alisa Golden. They should arrive in the next 10 days. I am hoping the Pat Dews one will be useful for my classes.
At university I have two projects going - one of them is abstract. I am doing abstracts from the carnival. I did a big oil pastel one that I posted on the oil pastel forum. Nothing else finished yet, but a few started. The next one will be watercolour. Next Sunday I am demonstrating on the Matisse Derivan stand at the Royal Easter Show, so I have just drawn up a half-sheet to do in inks. I will probably take two small ones to do, so that I can let one dry and work on the other.
My other project is about Guantanamo Bay. There is an Australian fellow there & our govt is prepared just to let him rot there. We have new sedition laws about art so this is probably sticking my neck out a bit, :evil: but then, probably so are many artists here. That work is going OK but I have had a few setbacks as it is digital plus traditional media. Also I have ideas for 4 images & that isn't enough. :(

By the way - is Zoe still around? I miss her.

Jakeally
04-02-2006, 04:18 AM
Hi Everyone ... not much from me today because I am visiting my son In Holland for a few days.
Hope everyone has a good week and I will catch up with you on Wednesday.
I think Zoe was moving house and she might be back soon ... I hope
Thanks for those so inspiring photos Mary ... they are delicious.
Take care everyone:D :wave:

Mary Woodul
04-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Julier, thank you and welcome to Mixed Media.

Wendy you keep yourself very busy and how wonderful that it can be with your art. I will let you know what I think of the book as soon as I finish it. The one you mention by Pat Dews sounds like something I should look for. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Chris, have a great time in Holland with your son and DIL.:)

azyl
04-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your invitation Mary. Those pictures are so beautiful. You're very lucky to have these it must be a breathtaking scenery where you live. Thanks for sharing them...very inspiring.