PDA

View Full Version : John Cox Workshop

Nickel
03-31-2006, 06:12 PM
How many times have you wished you could take an oil painting workshop from a professional artist? For many of us, for a number of reasons, a workshop has only been a dream. I am so very excited to announce this wish is coming true! John Cox a respected Fine Artist and past Instructor of the Scottsdale Artist School will host a three-week online workshop this summer for the Classical Forum.

John has had a rare ability over the years to see the beauty of the west and translate it onto canvas. John started his artistic life drawing and working with watercolors but over the years, his primary medium has been oils. In addition to his career as a Fine Artist, John continued Bill Hughes’ classes for five years teaching basic oil painting and landscape workshops. Many artists have contracted John for private lessons in realistic painting. Art of The West has featured John in their magazine as well as numerous other publications.

Two museums own work by John, one in Pueblo, Colorado and one in Oregon. His work has also been in the Arts for The Parks top 100 the two years he entered, and has won awards for Best of Show, Watercolors (Gold and Silver), Oils (Gold and Silver) and Best Overall Display. His work is in private and corporate collections in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Japan. DuPont Chemical, Foundation For Environmental Studies, Tyson Foods, Crescent Cardboard, Federal Land and Cattle Corp., Brown Oil Tool Corp to name a few.

John sells his work in a few galleries around the country, on his website, and at a couple of shows each year. One show is the Cheyenne Frontier Days Art Show and Sale at the Old West Museum in Cheyenne, Wyoming. The Heritage Galleries in Scottsdale, Arizona is his main gallery. Also John is represented in Texas, New Mexico and Colorado galleries.

John’s website. www.johncoxfineart.com

Nickel
03-31-2006, 06:17 PM
John has endeared himself to fellow artists here at WC by his friendliness and willingness to give assistance and encouragement. Because of his vast experience, we have asked him to teach this workshop. He is very special to us because he wants to help us become better artist. And although his health has limited his activities except those involved with his work, it has not limited his desire to help others. When asked to conduct this workshop, John replied, “I am a firm believer in sharing info that was so generously given to me years ago. Due to all the help given to me by some of the best, I have had the good fortune to make a good living making paintings for over 30 years. I am very thankful for that.”

This workshop will focus on John’s style of realistic painting. He is a traditionalist; he adheres to and teaches sound fundamentals of art. “I believe we can learn from each other no matter what our levels of skill might be, but I teach the way I do it. That is not to say another teacher or artist is wrong necessarily. It's just a different method. That is something I want all to understand. The only time I might disagree with something is if it is not sound working practices. I paint in a more "realistic" style because that is who I am, but I love looser styles as well. I am very open to ideas and believe there are many ways to achieve a fine piece of art.”

John’s workshop will be similar to but more extensive than his WIP in the Oil Painting Forum’s, Hall of Fame, How I Paint, A WIP by Visualone (http://ww.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327977). John will discuss his philosophy of art and the business of art. “It will not be a diatribe, but things that will make each of us better artists and easier to succeed in art as a business. Art is so much more than moving paint around or carving in clay or stone.”

The workshop is open to artists of all skill levels.

John’s has scheduled our workshop for late June (last week of) until the third week of July. The last week of July and first week of August, John is committed to Cheyenne Frontier Days Art Show and will be away from WetCanvas. However, he will be back and ready to review and comment on the most common things among all paintings submitted (both positive and negative) beginning the second week of August.

antgeek
03-31-2006, 09:32 PM
great news!! will definitely be tuning in for this. thanks, nickel for letting us know!!

artbyjune
04-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I am very interested in this workshop Nickel. Do we have to sign up somewhere?

Nickel
04-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I am very interested in this workshop Nickel. Do we have to sign up somewhere?

Hi June, it is great you are interested! We are going to have a great time!!!! John is a terrific artist and very nice man; you will be very happy! Please just show up, no need to sign up. :wave: Your pal, Nickel:)

PS The workshop, It's going to be in the classical forum.

ColorMyWorld
04-03-2006, 02:25 PM
This is wonderful! I enjoyed and learned so much from his WIP.