PDA

View Full Version : Lost Pool

cnair
03-31-2006, 06:03 AM
Have not been posting but have been following all the lovely work. This one is my own style, Artspan brush/knife tablette. Study for an oil painting. Comments/critique welcome.

Chandran
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2006/63167-leaves2.jpg

justjean
03-31-2006, 07:10 AM
. Study for an oil painting. Comments/critique welcome.

Chandran

Nice colours , would like to see your oil painting when it's done :)

TxAggieDarlin
03-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Colors are awesome, love the reflections, good depth, but what is in the foreground? Are you still working on it?

LadyAlba
03-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Love those colors and the impressionistic look of it this is another thinker. :thumbsup:

JCoop
03-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Chandran, you are very smart for working the kinks out in your painting digitally before you go traditional... you'll save lots on supplies and frustration. Love the shimmer on the water.:)

cnair
03-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Thank you Just Jean, Tx Aggie Darlin and LA appreciate your looking and warm comments.

TxAggieD, they are actually water irises (used to have them in a little pond at the bottom of our garden - purple and yellow flowers!) and I did think of defining them more and putting in a flower or two but too much detail there is going to hold back the eye?

Chandran

barryt
03-31-2006, 12:39 PM
A lovely image, Chandran, well put down, as a study

cnair
04-01-2006, 03:02 AM
Thanks Joel and Barry. Going to see if I can transfer the tonal values to canvas and retain the hues with my current oil paints.

Has the question digital control of tonal values and hue in different programmes been discussed in the forum before? It would be interesting to read the thread as I am new to digital art.

Chandran

maria_khurram
04-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Chandran, I like the variant colors in it.

waheednasir
04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
good work on the colors and depth cnair...:).

cnair
04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Thank you Maria and Waheed - unlike the two of you I am very new to digital art. Lot to learn - but it's really fun.

Chandran

cnair
04-20-2006, 09:33 AM
I am coming to the end of painting this in oils on stretched canvas (40 x 50 cm). JustJean wanted to see how it would turn out.

It is slightly different from the digital study now - TxAggie Darlin the foreground of water irises is more defined and I will be adding more details and darks/highlights.

The image is on the Oil Painting Forum at

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2006/63167-lostpoolcol4.jpg

Chandran

Skinny
04-20-2006, 09:56 AM
It's lovely, Chandran...but what happened to the vibrant colors that we all liked so much? :confused:

cnair
04-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Skinny thanks.

I can think of two reasons why the colours are not as vibrant as in the digital study.

Firstly, it may be because I did a verdaccio and a toned grisaille dead layer for this and then very thin washes of local colour on top. My palette was limited to zinc white and lamp black(grisaille)plus sap green (verdaccio) and then lemon yellow, ultramarine blue and alizon crimson. I had to wait till each layer dried in order to lay in the next with the local colours being thin washes . I could still strengthen the colours by further washes of the same colour but the person who commissioned this likes it as is!

The second reason may be that digital mixing of colours differs optically from mixes of the same colours in pigment form - pigment hues differ for the same named colours from one brand name to another, for example.

It would interesting to hear from the experts in this forum re this.

Chandran