PDA

View Full Version : Worthing (new monotype)

Gisela
02-23-2002, 03:47 AM
Sandra Fletcher posted a picture of her trip to Worthing the other day and kindly gave me permission to use her photo as a reference. I'm working on a large acrylic painting of the scene, but decided it might be fun to do a monotype too.

She mentioned that it was cold, wet and windy... :D

This is 8 x 10, waterbased monotpye ink

Gisela

sandge
02-23-2002, 11:32 AM
You sure caught the feeling of that day - cold, wet, a bit bleak. Love the little figures. Great job! :D

Looking forward to seeing the acrylic.

Tony Perrotta
02-23-2002, 06:10 PM
:D :D hi Gisela, how have you been, very nice for sure. Dig the new tinyhead.

Tony

sassybird
02-26-2002, 12:08 AM
Gisela, did you sand your surface before you applied the watercolor or acrylic? Did you use a brush to apply the color, use watercolor crayons? I know I am full of questions.......lol

I am always interested in how someone goes about monoprints, because there are so many ways to do them. I do like the 'feel' this piece gives me. It certainly portrays a blustery winter day. You chose a nice palette for the piece also.

Gisela
02-26-2002, 12:41 AM
Thanks folks!

Originally posted by sassybird
Gisela, did you sand your surface before you applied the watercolor or acrylic? Did you use a brush to apply the color, use watercolor crayons? I know I am full of questions.......lol...

You sound like me with those questions, Sassy!! LOL! ;)
I used the createx monotype paints for this and those stick real well, so I didn't have to sand the surface. I used a brush and one of those rubber tipped thingies...i can't think of what they're called, but I kind of use it to push the paint around and when the paint's dry I use it remove paint in any places that I want to reserve as white and clean up the edges.
Oh yeah, with the createx paints, I can usually get a decent 'ghost' too. I got a good one on this one and I'm going to work it over a bit with pastels.

I do sand the surface for watercolors though, or else they seem to just kind of bead up.

I've got a million things I want to try after reading Julia Ayres book on monotype -- you're right -- there are so many possibilites... :D

Gis

Oh yeah...here's something NOT to do... :rolleyes:
I did an image today in oil pastels and it wasn't tranfering well onto the paper at all...so I thought maybe I'd sponge a little, tiny bit of turps onto the paper and that might help...
Ummm...it was a really bad idea. :( What was I thinking?

sassybird
02-26-2002, 08:29 AM
I know what you mean about the watercolors beading up on an unsanded surface, but sometimes I like that effect. Right now I am on my new puter, and have not transfered over any of my files or I would post one that I did on unsanded plexi with watercolor. I also use creata color watercolor crayons along with tube watercolors to get a nice varied effect in my monoprints. I usually get good ghosts off of them also.