PDA

View Full Version : Test of Sherrys New brush ;o)

LadyAlba
03-30-2006, 10:50 AM
First off I love this brush Sherry thank you for sharing! :wave:

Did this quicky this morning and the only thing I noticed was after painting you really need to delete your prebuilt brush file and your .ssd file..my prebuilt brush file was 38 MB after using the new brush and the textured one. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2006/29951-flatbrushtest.jpg

JCoop
03-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Marge, very cool... love the texture and reflections. What fun brush!:)

TxAggieDarlin
03-30-2006, 12:15 PM
great look..........uh, where is the ssd file and I have no idea what you are talking about LOL........I need hands on experience with these brushes :)

LadyAlba
03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Thank you Joel and Aggie! :wave:

Aggie ... The prebuilt brush file is here C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application Data\Corel\Painter IX\Brushes\ to get to the .ssd file you go up a folder. ;o) It is a good idea to delete these 2 files after painting a while in Painter as they can become really big and you will start having problems with memory. Painter replaces them every time you reopen it. I made a short cut to it and placed it on my desktop so it would be easier to get to LOL I'm lazy! :wave:

justjean
03-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Interesting looking effects on a lovely painting with the brush Marge :) and I thought that you didn't need to do that anymore with IX?

Chiers
03-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Oh goodie, I am so glad you like that brush. Isn't it interesting. It's like every stroke has a new suprise to it. Varying the pressure is really the key to that brush though. I really think it will be very useful in floral and landscape work.

About the emptying the PBF I believe that Jean is correct. I have never done so with 1X, yet when I looked at it this morning it was only 16mb. I think Painter automatically clears it after so many mb. This old brain vaugely remembers hearing it isn't neccessary when 1X first came out.

LadyAlba
03-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks Jean and Sherry the brush was really fun to play with especially since you don't know what your getting when using different pressure. :wave:

On the files I know in the program itself it clears out but on the users application data I thought you still had to clear that ... I know the first time I went and found it due to a post somewhere, I had way over 100 MB (just in the prebuilt brush) there that needed to be cleared out I can't remember how big the .ssd file was. Maybe one of our Painter Guru's will clear this up. LOL

omniartz
03-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Good one Marge! Interesting brush work! Love the colors!! :)

LadyAlba
03-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Thank you Kirk! ;o)

Jin
03-31-2006, 03:05 PM
The Pre-built Brush File is used to store brush information to make brush building faster (Painter has to build the brush before we can us it). Though it does no harm to delete the PBF file, Painter IX automatically reduces the file size once it reaches 200 MB so you don't need to delete it unless you want to. The only affect that will have is to make brush building slower until each brush you use has been used once and Painter has added that information to the Pre-built Brush File.

The Painter.SSD file is the Scripts library file, so if you have any special scripts you want to keep, use the Script Mover to create a custom Scripts library and move the special scripts icons into that custom Scripts library. Then you'll have those special scripts if you decide to delete the Painter.SSD file.

After you delete the Painter.SSD file, Painter will automatically generate a new Painter.SSD file.

If you want to keep the Painter.SSD file size somewhat under control, go to Edit > Preferences > General and lower the number of days Painter Auto-Saves scripts if it's at the maximum of 10 days. (Painter automatically records a script of everything we do in a Painter session.)

LadyAlba
03-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Thank you Jin!!!...So glad that is cleared up even for my slow brain. LOL So now I feel really dumb .. been deleting those files just like I did in Painter 8 :lol:

digistyle
03-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Really good work on the reflection!

fugitive
04-01-2006, 02:27 AM
The Pre-built Brush File is used to store brush information to make brush building faster (Painter has to build the brush before we can us it). Though it does no harm to delete the PBF file, Painter IX automatically reduces the file size once it reaches 200 MB so you don't need to delete it unless you want to. The only affect that will have is to make brush building slower until each brush you use has been used once and Painter has added that information to the Pre-built Brush File.

The Painter.SSD file is the Scripts library file, so if you have any special scripts you want to keep, use the Script Mover to create a custom Scripts library and move the special scripts icons into that custom Scripts library. Then you'll have those special scripts if you decide to delete the Painter.SSD file.

After you delete the Painter.SSD file, Painter will automatically generate a new Painter.SSD file.

If you want to keep the Painter.SSD file size somewhat under control, go to Edit > Preferences > General and lower the number of days Painter Auto-Saves scripts if it's at the maximum of 10 days. (Painter automatically records a script of everything we do in a Painter session.)
I've been deleting the prebrush for yrs, and I think it still matter on 8, correct? But I forgot all about the other one, not using scripts, does it matter at all on vs. 8? greg

Jin
04-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Greg,

The Pre-built Brush File can grow quite large and grow very quickly, depending on the brush variants you use. In Painter 8 and earlier versions back to Painter 6 (which are the only versions in which this file exists), the Pre-built Brush File is not automatically resized downward by Painter so if the large Pre-built File Size causes Painter's performance to slow down, you can delete it after closing Painter and just like I explained for Painter IX, it won't do any harm. Painter will automatically generate a new Pre-built Brush File the next time you launch Painter.

The Painter.SSD file (Windows) or Painter Scripts file (Mac) can also be deleted and Painter will automatically generate a new Scripts library filel the next time Painter is launched. You can use the Script Mover just as I described for Painter IX to save any special scripts you have in a custom Scripts library. You can also set the number of days Painter Auto-Saves scripts in Edit > Preferences > General.