PDA

View Full Version : Filing MPEG movies

impressionist2
02-22-2002, 08:53 PM
I am finally getting the hang of my new Sony DCS-P50. Btw, do not buy this camera. I have always had HP and I got talked into how "great" the cybershot was. The uploaded images are Always dark, and though in time I am sure I will figure out the hundred settings that come with this camera, it's a giant pain. MY HP cameras have always been fabulous. It's HP next time. The quality of the photos are great though, so I am hoping in time to overcome the brightness problems.

Here are the bad things about cybershot cameras. They come with a pathetic 4MB memory stick, which you immediately have to upgrade by spending at least another $100., because the 4 MB holds one image at the highest setting. I bought the 128 MB stick. Then, the battery life is very bad, so off to buy batteries and the charger.

Anyway, one of the features is a movie mode that records a couple of minutes of movies.

Question- How do you file a MPEG movie? The removable disk G must be on while you play the movie. I can remove still images and file them, but I cannot figure the movie file system out. I want to delete each movie from the camera but I cannot do that until I file it somewhere. Is this possible?

Renee

KanuK
02-23-2002, 02:25 PM
You should be able to save these MPEG fles to your hard-drive then play them with Windows Media Player. Once they have been saved to your HD then you should be able to erase them, non?

impressionist2
02-23-2002, 07:32 PM
Kanuk, Thank you. I found it....and filed the movies. That is great.

Now, some of my movies are dark and here's the problem. In HELP. to correct brightness it says:From the View menu, point to Settings, then select Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Decompressor.
2 To improve picture quality, slide the CPU slider to a higher level setting. Make sure not to overload your computerís processing ability.
3 To change the brightness of the video, move the Brightness slider toward 0 to decrease the brightness or toward 100 to increase the brightness. Brightness reflects the amount of white in the video content.

4 To change the contrast in the video, move the Contrast slider toward 0 to decrease the contrast or toward 100 to increase the contrast. Increasing the contrast makes a video appear sharper; however, the frames render with increased choppiness. Decreasing the contrast can make a video appear smoother, but some of the details will be lost.
5 To change the color saturation of the video, move the Saturation slider toward 0 to decrease the saturation or toward 100 to increase the saturation. With increased saturation, the colors become more vivid. Decreased saturation moves the video toward the gray scale.

6 To change the hue of the video, move the Hue slider toward 0 to move the hues toward the green end of the color scale or toward 100 to move toward the violet end of the color scale. Changing the hue will produce different effects; use the hue to correct tones that differ slightly from your expectations.

7 After you have made the changes you want, click Apply to apply the setting to the current video stream.

Note

∑ The video playback settings are only available if the content was encoded with the Microsoft MPEG4 video codec.

That last statement is the problem. All mine says under "SETTINGS" is "MPEG video decoder". My only options are b/w or color. I have no slider options for brightness , etc.
Perhaps I have an old version of media player. There's a new 7.0 version I can download for free. Do I need to uninstall my old one so the new version will come up automatically? How do i do that? If you have all these options, which version of win media player do you have?

Thanks

Renee

KanuK
02-24-2002, 11:45 AM
In fact I'm going with memory here. As I am on a Mac 95% of the time and use XP only 5% of the time, most of my owrk is done on a Mac... but the idea behind the editing remains the same. That said...

My first thought would be to update or downoad the newest version of Windows Media Player. There also might be a shareware or freeware app available at download.com (http://www.download.com) that will allow you to do the editing you would like on your movie.

Can someone rcommend an app to use to edit movies on the PC platform that is freeware/shareware?

dk_art
02-24-2002, 12:32 PM
The program here comes to mind http://www.ulead.com/msp/runme.htm but I have no idea about it as I've never been involved with movie making . It seems to have a lot of features which you might like.

herr bean
02-27-2002, 06:55 PM
Ok, is this the part that you are having trouble understanding?

Originally posted by impressionist2

Note

∑ The video playback settings are only available if the content was encoded with the Microsoft MPEG4 video codec.

A codec is a method of saving data, usually involving compression. It sounds like what they're saying is that you are only going to be able to change those settings if the videos were saved with that codec. If they were saved using a different codec than you'll have to find another way of changing them. And since the settings don't show up for you it means that they were saved with a different codec. I would imagine that just about any video editing software package should be able to fix this. I'm no expert on this so if anybody sees something wrong with what I've said than go ahead and let me know.

impressionist2
03-02-2002, 08:18 AM
herr bean, Yes, you have it right.

Is video editing available in software? Can anyone recommend a good one?

Renee

KanuK
03-03-2002, 11:07 AM
I believe Microsoft in the XP system has a video editing software similar to iMovie from Apple. This might work on other systems. If not, I would go to download.com (http://www.download.com) and do a search for movie editing and see what comes up.

herr bean
03-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Yes, video editing software is available. Keep in mind that there are many different levels of software. The latest versions of Mac OS and Windows both come with some basic software. I've never really tried them so they may or may not be able to do what you need them to do. The only program that comes to mind right now is Adobe premier, which I am almost sure is capable of doing what you need, but it is on the expensive side, and I've heard both good and bad things about it. I would try download.com first like Kanuk suggested. You might be able to find something like Paintshop Pro that is capable of doing most of the stuff that the high end programs can do without the high cost that accompanies the high end programs.