PDA

View Full Version : turning calligraphy into fonts

alkline
03-29-2006, 12:49 AM
i was wondering if anyone knew how i can turn my caligraphy into fonts.
most likely i would have to scan them into the computer, but after that, how can i make a font from it

TessDB
03-29-2006, 07:07 AM
From what I understand, you'll need something like this (http://www.high-logic.com/fcp.html).

If you haven't been there before, check out the Scriptorium (http://www.fontcraft.com). Lots of pretty pretty fonts...

Tess

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 10:48 AM
I am against putting calligraphy on the computer because this is a very beautiful art form and putting it on the computer does not do it justice. It would be like putting any art form on the computer then you would not need artists. Putting calligraphy on the computer just cheapens the art form.

This is only my oppion.

Bria your friendly neighborhood scribe.:wave: :D

TessDB
03-30-2006, 06:43 AM
I am against putting calligraphy on the computer because this is a very beautiful art form and putting it on the computer does not do it justice.

Y'know, for the most part, I agree with you. BUT. I can think of several situations where it would be handy for the artist. Like when working on the layout & design of a piece that features, but is not only calligraphy. Or to add your calligraphy to another form of your art that's already been scanned into the computer (like for greeting cards, journal covers, t-shirt designs etc).

Just like it is really really helpful to be able to enlarge a ref. picture in photoshop instead of squinting at it all the time, wouldn't it be handy to be able to work out all of the spacing and size issues before going through umpteen pads of paper?

Just a thought. :) I tend to have too many of them. :p
Tess

Merry Scribe
03-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Just like it is really really helpful to be able to enlarge a ref. picture in photoshop instead of squinting at it all the time, wouldn't it be handy to be able to work out all of the spacing and size issues before going through umpteen pads of paper?

Just a thought. :) I tend to have too many of them. :p
Tess

Tess half the fun of doing calligraphy is designing and layout. Determining what hand to use, what size nib, should I use a B-0 or C-0, what color of gauche to use all of this is why I love calligraphy so much. If all the hands were as fonts on a computer then there would be no need for calligraphers. Another thing that the computer takes away is the little imperfection of calligraphy done in ones own hand and that is what calligraphy is all about. Each calligrapher has thier own style and that style is thier signature. The computer would take that away. And I do not want to see this art form die again.

With the invention of the printing press calligraphy almost became a lost art. In the early 1900 calligraphy started a come back and around 1970 it really became the art of the Yuppies. And today more and more people are becoming interested in the art. But if all you have to do is go to your computer to write any hand of calligraphy then the computer will be the death of this art just as the printing press almost was.

Brian your friendly neighborhood scribe.:wave: :D

sandspider
04-06-2006, 12:07 AM
I think you need to have a good think why do you want to do this, in my opinion calligraphy was ment to be written analouge . it can be displayed in a digital portfolio. :wave:

geckonia
04-06-2006, 12:22 AM
You can try Fontographer.

http://www.fontlab.com/index.php

Merry Scribe
04-06-2006, 12:27 AM
I think you need to have a good think why do you want to do this, in my opinion calligraphy was ment to be written analouge . it can be displayed in a digital portfolio. :wave:

You want this because you are lazy and I feel that calligraphy should be kept in its original form and not digitally done. Calligrahy is an art and should be saved. So if you do not want to pay some one for the art of calligraphy. You would rather to get it off a computer and claim the art your own. This would be wrong. I do not get art works off the net and claim them to be my own. Just because calligraphy can not be copy writed does not mean that you have the right to claim it as your own. Just like I can not claim your art work to be my own.