PDA

View Full Version : calligraphy talk. 101 with alkline

alkline
03-29-2006, 12:45 AM
its weird. i have a theory about the internet. if you can think it, it exist on the net.
this time i said i need a calligraphy forum. and here i am.:clap:
first off ive been a dedicated calligrapher for 7 years, i havent totched a
calligraphy pen for 4 years.:lol: ive studied the art however for 13 years in total. i am a chemist, and for some time ive been trying to create a floatable ink. .:confused: . its a long story, but basically caligraphy on water. Embarking on this quest, ive had plenty of disasters.
every calligrapher knows that writing is both euphoric and fustrating. i can only wonder how our ancestral master calligraphers felt writing so often. A time before the printing press everything was done by hand. IN the world of fonts, its basically a lost art to some. or is it... (very random thoughts/\ :lol: im just excited ive found someplace for calligraphy.)
what are some of your calligraphy experiences, challenges??

I do plan on posting some of my work. and will love for you all to crtique it!!!
alot was lost due to floods but i've managed to retain some.

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
I have been a calligrapher for about 5 years and I doing about every day. I know about 40 different hands and I am always looking for new hands. The only thing that frustrates me is that it is very difficult to find some of the tool I want. I have been looking for split nibs and I have not had any luck. If any one knows where I can get my hands on some split nibs please let me know.

Brian your friendly heighborhood scribe.:wave: :D

alkline
03-29-2006, 12:26 PM
i have a local art store near me that sells all kinds of nibs. for dip pens or fountain. i can pass by there later on and get there number for you

sabrestallion
03-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Welcome Alkline, :wave: cant wait to see your work, welcome to WC , and Brian's(merry scribe) Calligraphy forum :lol:

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Welcome alkline we are glad to have you with us. Don't be shy in here we all love calligraphy and everyone fought hard to get the forum started. This forum is the newest on the WC and we all are happy that it has finally become a reality. So I hope you enjoy the WC and come and visit use once in awhile.

Brian your friendly neighborhood scribe.:wave: :D

prairie painter
03-29-2006, 02:09 PM
If any one knows where I can get my hands on some split nibs please let me know.
Yeah, most places with anything interesting are in the UK, but I've had good experience with this place, http://www.johnnealbooks.com If nothing else their Bound & Lettered magazine is worth getting.
Anyways, glad you found us, this forum just got started so there's plenty of learning to do! I would think that the paints used to marbelize papers would be worth exploring, as that technique requires the paints to be floated on a water bath.

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah, most places with anything interesting are in the UK, but I've had good experience with this place, http://www.johnnealbooks.com If nothing else their Bound & Lettered magazine is worth getting.
Anyways, glad you found us, this forum just got started so there's plenty of learning to do! I would think that the paints used to marbelize papers would be worth exploring, as that technique requires the paints to be floated on a water bath.

Mary I did not find you I am the one who did the fighting to get this forum going.

Mary thank you for the information I do appreciate it.

Brian your friendly neighborhood scribe.:wave: :D