PDA

View Full Version : New Gal and Exhibition question

Sunione
03-28-2006, 12:33 PM
HI
Thrilled to join this group.

Are most of you using PAINTER? I started out in digital art with PHOTOSHOP, eventually I wanted more control so I added Painter. It's a complicated but amazingly powerful program.

My chief question: Are you exhibiting your digital work in non-internet based shows? If so what do you describe your media as (assuming that is required on the entry)? If you call the media 'digital' what reaction do you get?

:) Suni

justjean
03-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi and welcome to WC, sorry I can't help you with your question but I'm sure others will be able to do so :wave:

frogza
03-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I use Painter and I used to get a very poor reaction to my digital art. Until I did a show where I posted the whole process on posters at the entrance. I think people thought that digital art = photoshopping. Once they saw how the colors are mixed and how the stylus is used they started to realize that maybe I was a "real" artist.

I call my art digital painting and I always have it printed on canvas once it's done.

tomnackid
03-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I have painter but I never use it. I pretty much do everything in Photoshop these days. I just never warmed to "simulated" natural media. I generally go for a more realist look--like a classical oil painting or air brushed painting. I use brushstrokes mainly to smudge soft and lost edges in my paintings.

I mostly exhibit at science fiction art shows (I mainly consider myself an illustrator) so there is possibly less resistance to new media. I usually call a piece something like: "Artist made archival inkjet print on XXX paper."

Mr_Pen
03-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Dear Suni

>Are most of you using PAINTER?
I use Painter. I think Photoshop is good, if you have something to start, but it isn't good, when you feel draw something new from zero. I recommend you Painter too:)

>Are you exhibiting your digital work in non-internet based shows?
No, to output is very diificult as display shows. I think, I should devide "digital" work and "analog" products marketing.

>If you call the media 'digital' what reaction do you get?
I imagine "hard" and "OTAKU" :) "Hard" to start, "hard" drawing touch, "hard" to prepare money to buy many tools:) It's only for "OTAKU" of Japanimation, Manga, Hollywood and personal CG animator :)

Sunione
03-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

Here's something I recently did starting in Photoshop, then to Painter IX and back to Photoshop.I am developing a procedure for using a UVL varnish after printing on WC paper (coated with InkAid) which is mounted on hardboard. Additional work is sometimes added in acrylic paint prior to varnish.

This is the original digital image, don't know if photographing the finished (printed, mounted and varnished) painting would allow you to see the finished look. I believe it is unique but what exactly I would call the technique I'm unsure. Some say they just do not discuss their techniques and methods. I don't wish to be misleading anyone. I believe that the methods I am using will give my work great longevity but only time will tell?:confused:

Suni

http://www.twroveto.com/artbysuni/images/tuckpastels.jpg