PDA

View Full Version : Jullian Easels

Dot Hoffman
03-27-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm just curious, those of you who have the Jullian (or other) full box easel, how do you load the drawers and what accessories do you like? I just got mine, and I have lined two sections of one drawer with foam using those sections for pastels and the 3rd for finger cots, eraser, etc. etc. and other "tools of the trade." I bought a second drawer so I won't have to unload and reload every time I want to switch mediums.

Just wondering what others are doing.

dlake
03-27-2006, 11:29 AM
pencils, colour shapers, erasers, blending qtip type things and makeup sponges. Oh, rulers.

Khadres
03-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Haven't taken mine outside yet, so don't have much of anything in the drawer. I guess I planned on eventually getting one of those doohickeys that attached to the open drawer and allows you to support a regular open pastel box...had completely forgotten I could ALSO store stuff in the drawer! Duh!

Dot Hoffman
03-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I forgot to mention that I got the side shelf, and it is really a nifty little item!

I was concerned yesterday because the bar that raises the easel top to fit various size grounds/canvases was warped and would not go all the way down, but my brilliant husband put it on his workbench overhanging a piece of 2 x 2 and put a vice on each end to remove the warp, and today it works great. Now I know if it warps again that he can fix it again. :clap: Humidity can be a bear.

Donna A
03-27-2006, 10:57 PM
I love my french easel---well, the ancient one. The newer one----it's OK, but takes forever to set up!!!! But does not look like it's been thru the wars, so use if more for demos.

For my pastels----I just put my "extras" in the drawers because i have a travel box for my pastels. The trays are maybe 12" wide and at least twice that long and the main one sits beautifully on the drawer pulled out. Keep the other two on the ground next to me and pull out any colors I want from the other two less-used trays.

For works larger than the limited 34" height of a board or canvas, I'll use bungee cords strattling the back of the lid to hold the painting's support in place. When I travel via airplane when I'm doing demos at Santa Fe Art Expo or IAPS Conventions, I put my easel in a huge suitcase OR pack it in a big box to ship. But in my car----or to the park behind my house or down the street-----it's so nice to carry on the little dolly I have it strapped to-----with more bungee cords! I love my bungee cords. Bless them!!! And my french easels!

Smart to have multiple drawers!!! Makes it sooo much easier to change out mediums! Excellent!!! Donna ;-}

mauricar
03-28-2006, 08:09 AM
I have a bag that I put my easel in for carrying. I am in a wheelchair and strap it to the back of my chair. I use the drawers for rulers, rags, razer blades, my rod and other misc. items. I never carry my pastels there, I have a seperate box. They would get too loose and flop around in the easel drawer. The box I use for my pastels has lots of padding so the sticks stay put. I also have the tray that sits on the side of the box, but I use a tv tray next to my chair while I am working. That way I don't have to bend down for things.

Isn't it wonderful, the weather is changing so we can get back outside again. YEAH for french easels.

Brad121
06-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi,
I've just had my new Original Jullian easel arrive. The sliding drawer when pulled out leans downwards as if it's not supported properly due to the width of the groove it travels down.

Is this so with all Jullian easels, is the drawer supposed to have some play in it, and lean to the ground slightly as you pull it out, or is it just a problem with this one. When I see pictures of the Jullian easel the tray always seems so straight at a proper right angle.

If it's so with all of them, then so be it, I just rather expected it to have a more precision fitting to the box.

I may be being to particular, i'm just interested in making sure it's how it's supposed to be.

Included is a couple of pictures to show you what I mean.

Thanks,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2006/49589-french_easel_leaning_drawer_2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2006/49589-with_tubes.jpg

bjcpaints
06-01-2006, 01:28 PM
I have been practicing with my new halfbox and determined on the very first try that I would never put pastels in that drawer! It came crashing out the first time and now I am better about my set-up procedure. So, I will be using it for brushes, shapers, small package of wet wipes, masking tape - anything but pastels!
Barbara