PDA

View Full Version : Babes & Buds Sprout Into Spring Riot!

Khadres
03-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Yay!!! It's getting to be that time again, when babies pop up everywhere and little green things peek out of the barren winter garden! Let's celebrate spring's renewal! It's a season of new beginnings and fresh warm breezes...time to chase away the last of those winter blahs and play!

This Riot is open to ALL pastellists, softies, oilies, even pastel pencilies (is that a word?). Jump in and paint something springtime! I'm including a few shots from the Image Library but use your own photos, your own back yard (or barnyard), or your imagination as well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2006/34895-riotpic6.jpg

K Taylor-Green
03-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Oh good! Another riot! Lots and lots of babies, please, of all kinds!:clap:

Just a reminder to place all the entries in this thread, so we don't flood the forum with our play.

Sooz, that first one is a "riot" in it's self! And way too cute!

Khadres
03-27-2006, 12:53 AM
I've always thought lambs were so cute. Until we stayed at a farmhouse in England that had lambs by the dozens in the yard with a feeder board...not sure why they were segregated from their mums...but anyway that constant baaaaaing was cute for about the first couple hours! LOL

Still, baby critters are irresistible no matter what kinda noise they make!

E-J
03-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Hiya Sooz ... I hope to join in with this ... You may have to keep giving me a kick up the backside to do it, though, as I'm distracted by all sorts at the moment :D I've visited the Lake District the past two springs, so should have some holiday photos I can use for inspiration.

Dark_Shades
03-27-2006, 07:41 AM
awwww what a cute pic........ that lamb things its a retriever or something lol........ hmmmmm not quite spring here......... too cold..... but was shocked to spot two daffodils in the garden yesterday

Deborah Secor
03-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Spring happened here yesterday--today it seems out of the mood. Still, I'd love to try a lamb. That little one with the stick is a riot! (Appropriate, since this is a riot...) I expect a cartoon bubble: "Shtick? What Shtick?"

Deborah

Khadres
03-27-2006, 12:39 PM
LOL, Deborah! I love the little black one in the middle too....no head, no tail, but right there in the thick of things! I've always been quite taken with the black sheep in any fold, I guess....

E-J, you're more than welcome to take part whenever the mood or opportunity arise! I figure this can run through the last part of June anyway. Have a happy holiday up in the Lake Dist.!

TWO daffodils?? You lucky thing! QUICK, take a pic!!!:D

It's looking like spring here again...not sure how long that will last. I always hold my breath this time of year waiting to see how much of the back lawn died over the winter...hopefully not too much...dogs on bare dirt is bad news!

Pat Isaac
03-27-2006, 04:24 PM
What cute pictures Sooz. Today's temperature is certainly springlike as the whole week promises to be, so hopefully something will pop and I can take some pics.

Pat

sundiver
03-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Just a heads-up that there's an adorable baby image in this week's WDE!

Pat Isaac
03-29-2006, 04:20 PM
I saw that baby pic, Wendy. It's tempting.

Pat

michellej
04-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey Sooz,
I like your theme :clap: ( even though we don't have spring time) I am going to break my painting fast by painting that adorable kitten in your pictures (may I?)
He is just the thing to get my pastel juices going.

E-J
04-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Have a happy holiday up in the Lake Dist.!

I wish!!! I doubt we'll be making the trip this year ... need to find somewhere a little less mountainous, as I'll be about 26 weeks' pregnant by the time we take our holiday at the end of May!! I'll have to content myself with rummaging nostalgically through last year's pics instead. :D

Current daffodil count in our back garden is 38! So perhaps inspiration will strike closer to home anyway ...

Dark_Shades
04-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Current daffodil count in our back garden is 38! So perhaps inspiration will strike closer to home anyway ...

Show off :) ........... Ive got 3 ........... had to resort to cheating - Spring is NOT going to happen in my garden this year ..... and bought 54 flowering Daffodil bulbs last weekend ha! :D and a number of primroses

Pat Isaac
04-04-2006, 08:53 AM
The crocus are blooming all over the place here, so I have some pics, now to start painting......

Pat

Khadres
04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I wish!!! I doubt we'll be making the trip this year ... need to find somewhere a little less mountainous, as I'll be about 26 weeks' pregnant by the time we take our holiday at the end of May!! I'll have to content myself with rummaging nostalgically through last year's pics instead. :D

Wow! I LOVE daffies! Take some good pics, okay??? And yeah, no need to be playing mountain goat right now! How about a calm leisurely saunter through a nearby garden? :D

E-J
04-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Wow! I LOVE daffies! Take some good pics, okay??? And yeah, no need to be playing mountain goat right now! How about a calm leisurely saunter through a nearby garden? :D

I ventured out and tried to take some piccies just for you, Sooz ... but I can't figure out the contrast or other settings on my husband's digital camera (mine is kaput) and the sunlight was so bright, it just bleached out the details. :(

Please remind me what the "rules" are for Riots ... If we have any spring photos we'd like to share, is it ok to post them here?

scall0way
04-08-2006, 10:41 AM
What fun. I have not painted in a few weeks now, and I need a good kick-start. Baby animals and spring flowers sure seem like a good ticket. My crocuses are gone now, but I still have a few lovely daffodils around, the forsythia is in full bloom, and the lilacs are starting to bud. It's raining hard too, a typical "April shower".

My sister from NC came up to stay with me for a few weeks while my dad had his surgery, and she has been helping me get my house organized. (lol, I sure need the help) but I hope I can still find my art supplies. :D

Khadres
04-08-2006, 12:02 PM
I ventured out and tried to take some piccies just for you, Sooz ... but I can't figure out the contrast or other settings on my husband's digital camera (mine is kaput) and the sunlight was so bright, it just bleached out the details. :(

Please remind me what the "rules" are for Riots ... If we have any spring photos we'd like to share, is it ok to post them here?

Not sure there ARE that many rules for Riots...by all means, post away on any inspirational pics you may have--I don't have a one and could use a nudge!

Deborah Secor
04-08-2006, 07:09 PM
:lol: Hadda laugh at the idea of rules for riots!!! I'm sorry, ma'am, but the rules clearly state that you cannot do that during a riot... Obviously I'm thinking riot, as in rebellion, insurrections, brawl.

Deborah

Merriel
04-09-2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2006/5632-calfs.jpg

I did these last week to practice my drawing. They are not babies but are
still young. They chase each other all over the fields. C & C is appreciated.

leirrem

Pat Isaac
04-09-2006, 06:21 PM
These are wonderful!!!:clap: I love cows. I collect them...

Pat

Merriel
04-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks Pat. I had fun doing them.

Leirrem

bjcpaints
04-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Very nice Leirrem!
I have had every intention of getting in on this riot - maybe this week!
Barbara

E-J
04-10-2006, 12:57 PM
They're lovely, leirrem! Very nicely sketched.

Pat Isaac
04-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Here are my croci, a WIP. I did a lot today and hope to get it done soon. Busy now until next week, but after that.
C&C always welcome.
Pat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2006/35760-Croci.jpg

Khadres
04-11-2006, 07:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2006/5632-calfs.jpg

I did these last week to practice my drawing. They are not babies but are
still young. They chase each other all over the fields. C & C is appreciated.

leirrem

How cute! Love 'em! Great job!

Khadres
04-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Here are my croci, a WIP. I did a lot today and hope to get it done soon. Busy now until next week, but after that.
C&C always welcome.
Pat

Wow! This is gonna be GORGEOUS...love it! I wish I could get oilies to do stuff like this for me! :confused:

Pat Isaac
04-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks, Sooz. It's on hold for a bit now.

Pat

Merriel
04-12-2006, 02:19 PM
really like your composition. I'll look in later as I want to see it when its'finished.

leirrem

E-J
04-13-2006, 04:38 AM

Oh Pat, this is inspiring! Even your initial drawing - it's so graceful and flowing. If there's room for me here next to Sooz and leirrem, I'm sitting down to join the audience!

Pat Isaac
04-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Plenty of room. Thanks, E-J.
I don't remember if I ever said that this was an oil pastel on black colorfix, about 14"x 18"

Pat

Pat Isaac
04-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Here is another update on the croci. I now have all the colors in and will start to refine the details. Comments always welcome.
Pat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2006/35760-croci_1.jpg

Merriel
04-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Pat: This is so beautiful!!! I ordered my Sennilier today. I just have to
try. You are such an inspiration. The composition is wonderful. I can't do
anything with the pastels I have, they are craypas expressionist and Maries.
My husband bought one set and my son in law the other. I can't do anything with them and maybe wont be able to with the set
I've bought, but I have to try with good pastels. I also ordered some colorfix paper. I have never used that before. The Holbeins were five to a box. Are they all the same color in fives? I couldn't find out.

Thanks for sharing this. its great.

Leirrem

Merriel
04-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Pat: I keep going back to your picture and had a thought. I hope you
copyright this. A friend of mine had someone make prints of his work and
he got an attorney to do something about it and couldn't. It was very messy
and a beautiful painting that was turned into a beautiful poster. He copyrights his paintings now.

leirrem

Pat Isaac
04-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks, lierrem2 for your kind words. I also use Holbeins and yes they do come in five hues of one color. I use them with the Senneliers as the Holbeins have some lighter hues. I like working on a colored surface, but find the greens are giving me a little trouble on the black. I'll work on it.
You will love the Senneliers.:D

Pat

CM Neidhofer
04-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This is just beautiful!! Now I want to try out my oilies again, even though I've hardly touched the softies in months! So many projects, so little time....!! :(

Christine

lutash
04-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Hi I'm a newbie and from Australia....so It's Autumn here...although it still feels like Summer! The pics posted were gorgeous nad wish it was spring here too! But Autumn in Australia is beautiful. In morning when it starts to get a bit chilly, you sit ouside in the warm sun watching the ever canging colours of the leaves on trees, watching and listening to the naitive cockatoos, galah's, magpies. I will send some photos in of the beatuiful picnic spot surrounded by all types of flora and fauna and a creek. Nature is my inpiration and especially pastels of flora.

Khadres
04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
We'd love to see some pics of an Aussie autumn! Even better, how bout posting some sketches you've done while picnicking? :D

Pat Isaac
04-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Here is another update on the crocus. I think the left hand side is just about done and am now working on the right side.
C&C always welcome.
Pat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2006/35760-Croci2.jpg

Pat Isaac
04-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Okay, I think this is done now unless someone can see something that needs fixing.
Pat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2006/35760-croci3.jpg