PDA

View Full Version : Another Oldie, Older - Cottage

Jin
03-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Another little painting done in Fractal Design Painter 4 or Fractal Design Painter 5 named "Cottage" (you'll have to look hard to see why). Again painted from imagination:

http://www.pixelalley.com/gallery_older_work/cottage.jpg

LadyAlba
03-26-2006, 10:21 PM
I really like this! ;o)

Jin
03-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks, Marge. It was one of the first paintings I ever did using Painter and I can see a lot that could be improved. It's a bit dark, for instance, and the three oddly shaped square jaggies along the top right edge of the mountain bother me.

But not enough to bother fixing it. ;)

Chiers
03-27-2006, 02:41 AM
Georgous color in this!

barryt
03-27-2006, 05:52 AM
I can see it! I can see it! Lovely colors and imagination.

Jin
03-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Sherry,

Thanks, glad you like the colors. :)

Barry,

You found it! ;)

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

I gave a print of this tiny painting to my mother when she was about 85 (she'll be 91 this year) and it's still pasted to the side of her fridge, a place of honor in her tiny apartment where all of her other art, several generations of family photos and painted portraits, and family heirlooms are carefully, lovingly, and artistically arranged.

I consider this an honor because she's had to give away so much, becoming older and moving into smaller and smaller living quarters. Somehow she found a few inches for my painting!

(My suspicion is, it's because she loves cobalt blue.)

justjean
03-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Jin I like it :) and it reminds me of one of my first ones, a small cottage nestled in a maple leaf LOL

TxAggieDarlin
03-27-2006, 09:56 AM
nice rich colors....

omniartz
03-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Very stylish! It's nice your Mom loves it. I like the lighting around the cottage and the blue ridge mountains. . . :)

Jin
03-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Jean,

Thanks. :)

I'd love to see your cottage nestled in a maple leaf. What a neat idea that is!

Aggie,

Thanks for stopping to take a look. Glad to hear you like the colors. I do too, and that's a large part of why I loved Painter from the start... the colors!

Colors never looked so beautiful in Corel Photo Paint which is what I'd been using 'til Fractal Design Painter 4 came into my life. It occurs to me now that it might have been set to work in CMYK but I didn't know about that back in the "olden days". ;)

Kirk,

Thank you for your "stylish" comment. ;)

It's nice to hear you noticed the light around the cottage. I wanted it to look warm and inviting and not get lost in the shadows.

fugitive
03-28-2006, 03:34 AM
Those are some early Painters, before my time I guess. Why use the old ones when we know the new are much better. I use 8 cause it's as high as my machine with do. What yr did you paint that, and yes, took a while to even find a building, thot it the wrong one. Very pretty. greg

Jin
03-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi Greg,

Why use older Painter versions?

Because they were the latest version at one time.

Because there are things in older versions that aren't carried over to newer versions and can't be ported to newer versions.

Because there are a lot of things in older versions we can port to newer versions.

Because it's sometimes necessary to refer to, even use, an older version when teaching and writing tutorials to explain things to people who are new to the newer version but not new to the older version.

And... just nostalgia, I guess. There are four Fractal Design Painter paint cans in my collection, too, the early packaging for Painter, at least back to Painter 2 (maybe Painter 1 also) through Painter 6. That was until Corel put Painter 7 in a flimsy, dismal white box with a pink paint drip down the front and a little black rabbit in the corner.... and named it procreate Painter 7! ;)

The oldest version of "Cottage" on my hard drive is dated February 13, 1999 but I know it's older because I made a composite using "Cottage" and a newer painting of an iris, named the composite "Iris Cottage" and that file on my hard drive is dated November 18, 1997.

The original "Cottage" is on a Syquest disk and it's certainly older than "Iris Cottage". Since it was painted using Painter 4, released in 1995, my guess is, it was some time that year. Here 'tis :

http://www.pixelalley.com/old_gallery_older_work/IrisCottage.jpg

Thanks for saying you think "Cottage" is pretty. :)

digistyle
03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Its always great to see the early pieces. I like the implied textures and since your mom liked it, it appears that I'm in good company!

Jin
03-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks, digistyle. :)

Skinny
03-31-2006, 04:36 PM
This is fabulous, Jin! It reminds me of some of Waheednasir's work.

Jin
04-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Skinny, m'dear,

My oh my, that's an exceptionally nice compliment. I love Waheed's work.

Thank you so much! :)

barryt
04-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks for showing that earlier work Jinny, it's good to see the difference. Gosh 1997 or earlier! My earliest is 1998

Jin
04-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi Barry,

"Cottage" was actually painted in 1995 using Painter 4.

Both that painting and Jin are ancient. ;)

waheednasir
04-02-2006, 02:10 PM
i really like the first one posted here, wonderful colors...:).

Jin
04-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Thank you, Waheed, for taking time to stop by and post some encouraging words.

They are appreciated! :)

fugitive
04-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Jin; I shoulda realized they were older and painter was older, but not lyou, you were younger. My mind gets fuzzed out sometimes.

Jin
04-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Greg,

Yes, I was younger.... then. ;)

rebeccalopez
04-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Sweet simple and calming...great style!

Jin
04-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Thank you, Rebecca. That's a nice compliment... simple.. calming. :)