PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Tutorial?

TessDB
03-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Hi, All! :wave:

How great to have the subforum up and running! In the polling thread, there had been some folks wanting to learn Celtic Knotwork. And I've been threatening for ages to put something together. So... With that in mind, I just wanted to see what (and if) people were wanting to learn first.

Because there's several great WIP's & a tutorial showing how to do a basic border, I thought I'd leave that alone & go for either of these topics:

A more intricate border design
Bending knots into a circle
Spirals
Creating a carpet page

Here's the disclaimer: I usually work in colored pencil, so I have TONS to learn about pen & ink. And I'll be learning how to do calligraphy in bits and pieces as time allows.

Can't wait to get to know you all! :wave:

Tess

celticrichard
03-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Mi advice for all the celtic knotworker newbies is this:the rule of memorizing a celtic knotwoork is do a basic line drawing and then select a place,first it has to be cut by a line then overlaps the next and is cut again.if you would like pictures send a sign.

sassybird
03-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Tess, I love Celtic knot work, and any tutorial that you want to do is fine with me. I would start with a more intricate border.

Autumnwillow
03-26-2006, 04:36 PM
I vote for any of those, but at the moment I've managed to get myself into a sticky situation- a potential client, very nice lady, would like me to get some sketches together for her for a house number sign, and I suggested we put a Celtic knot at the top with a border all around..."sure, I can do that..." :eek: It will more than likely be woodburned onto a light wood plaque, with raised prob'ly metal numbers...

Sooo, I'd love to see knotwork soon! But again, I'm thrilled to see any and all! Thanks,

Michele

Merry Scribe
03-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi, All! :wave:

How great to have the subforum up and running! In the polling thread, there had been some folks wanting to learn Celtic Knotwork. And I've been threatening for ages to put something together. So... With that in mind, I just wanted to see what (and if) people were wanting to learn first.

Because there's several great WIP's & a tutorial showing how to do a basic border, I thought I'd leave that alone & go for either of these topics:

A more intricate border design
Bending knots into a circle
Spirals
Creating a carpet page

Here's the disclaimer: I usually work in colored pencil, so I have TONS to learn about pen & ink. And I'll be learning how to do calligraphy in bits and pieces as time allows.

Can't wait to get to know you all! :wave:

Tess

Tess I vote all of them. I have to let you know though I am not the best student unless I am hit over the knuckles with a ruler.:lol: :lol: :lol: Recovering Cathlic school student.

Brian:wave:

CPM
03-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Tess, Go for it! I would love to learn more complicated material! - Chris

TessDB
03-27-2006, 07:41 AM
Okay then!

Since Michele is in a bit of a jam, I'll put something together that can be tiled to stand alone or adapted into a border fairly easily.

Hopefully, I'll be able to post by the end of the week.

Tess

meganj
03-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Please yes, I would love to see a tutorial!

Merry Scribe
03-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Ya I am going to learn Celtic Art. To think an Irishman that can not do Celtic art :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian :wave: Your Friendly Neighborhood Scribe

TessDB
03-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Brace yourself... History lesson:

Ya I am going to learn Celtic Art. To think an Irishman that can not do Celtic art :lol: :lol: :lol:

What we think of as Celtic Art is actually much more European than specifically Irish, or even English/Scottish/Welsh. The monks who created the Book of Kells were heavily influenced by outsiders. Vikings (introduced interlace & zoomorphic figures), the classical world (Greece & Rome contributed the angular maze patterns, running borders, etc.), and middle-eastern styles of decoration (composition/carpet page design). Now granted, they took all of these pieces and put them together in a way that is completely different from the cultures they came from. And the Book of Kells is the end of a chain of illuminated texts that began with The Book of Durrow, leading into the Lindisfarne Gospels. As well as many other archeological fragments.

End History Lesson. :D

Tess

Merry Scribe
03-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Brace yourself... History lesson:

What we think of as Celtic Art is actually much more European than specifically Irish, or even English/Scottish/Welsh. The monks who created the Book of Kells were heavily influenced by outsiders. Vikings (introduced interlace & zoomorphic figures), the classical world (Greece & Rome contributed the angular maze patterns, running borders, etc.), and middle-eastern styles of decoration (composition/carpet page design). Now granted, they took all of these pieces and put them together in a way that is completely different from the cultures they came from. And the Book of Kells is the end of a chain of illuminated texts that began with The Book of Durrow, leading into the Lindisfarne Gospels. As well as many other archeological fragments.

End History Lesson. :D

Tess

Tess when do we get started I can wait this will be fun.

Brian

TessDB
03-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Glad you're excited!

I'm working on it now. I should have the first ready to post by the end of the week.

In case anyone wants to check and make sure they've got supplies, here's what you're going to need to play along:

Graph paper (cheap, easily found 1/4 inch grid)
pencil
eraser

And here you thought I was going to suggest something really esoteric. :evil: :D

Tess

Autumnwillow
03-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Aww, Tess, thank you for thinking of me...:D Looking forward to the lesson, if, of course, I can get my hands on all of those complicated tools........;)

Michele

mel-ink
03-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Please keep me in the loop on this one too - I love Celtic knotwork and would love to learn more!!!

:D :D :D

TessDB
03-30-2006, 07:18 AM
Stay tuned, everyone.

As long as nothing bursts into flames in front of me, I should be able to get my notes typed up & post everything today.

Putting it together was harder than I thought it would be. There are so many things I just *do* without thinking about them, I was constantly having to backtrack.

Tess

valchina612
03-30-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm looking very forward to your Tutorial too Tess -- we can never learn too much. I have always loved looking at Celtic Knotwork, so it will be great to learn more about putting it together for ourselves. :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

EgyptianArtist
07-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Michele, If you need a Celtic knot I have an image on my computer that will allow you to quickly create many different kinds of knots. It's a simple image divided into about 40 tiles that you could line up on Paint or some program to create Celtic knots. Please respond if you're interested--it's not truely art, but if enlargened and printed out you could trace it and alter it as desired to make it your own. My avatar is nine of these tiles lined up in the simplest patten.

Go to Elfend.googlepages.com/ (http://elfend.googlepages.com/home) to see an example of what 20 minutes of goofing off can produce! (The other things are random games to get me through the day!) I normally pair my tileset with a computer game creator that has convinient tiling options. I created it when deciding I was too cheap to purchase a Celtic Knot Font program, so I took some initiative.

The Celtic Knot lessons sound like a fascinating idea, to get back to the original topic. I'll keep an eye out for more!

TessDB
07-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Welcome to WC, EgyptianArtist! :wave:

If you're interested, I did get some of the tutorials I'd planned posted and you can find them here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402525) (there are links to them in a sticky at the top of the forum). I'm still thinking I'll do at least one more, I just need life to quiet down a wee bit first. :cool:

Hope to see you posting some of your work!
Tess