PDA

View Full Version : Dark Sunlight, study, 18x24

John A. Roof
03-25-2006, 08:17 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2006/76550-Dark_Growth_Staples_18x24.JPG

John A. Roof
03-25-2006, 08:19 PM
this is a study for a much larger painting. I will tell you it has taken me a while to understand this one and where it is going. THIS IS NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT JUST A STUDY FOR WHAT IS TO COME but i am interested in what you have to say. thanks john take care

metalhead
03-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Is that the moon? It's huge. Like looking through a very long (say 600mm) telephoto lens. Also, the sky appears cloudy -- as in many of your paintings -- like dark clouds coming in with the sun shining in under them from side due to it being late afternoon or early morning. But this moon there means that it can't be cloudy... so ultimately it's confusing, because the moon is huge and hanging in front of what appears to be a dark cloudbank.

And the tree in front of the moon should probably be darker than the moon -- if that's the moon -- since the moon's surface is a pretty light gray, and it's in direct sunlight.

Then the title confuses things more by referring to the sun... which doesn't appear to be in the painting.

That's what I thought anyway. You may well have your reasons for making it appear the way you made it appear, but those reasons weren't transparently obvious to me.

mrs willow
03-25-2006, 10:00 PM
John I like your painting style.:thumbsup: (I think I have told you that before?)
The contrast in your colours ie. the brilliance of the greens against the dark grey/blue sky makes me feel like there is an approaching storm....or something is about to happen. The overly large sun/moon seems symbolic and adds to the feeling of tension.This is my initial reaction to what you have presented.I will be very interested to see what you intend doing next.
Sandy