PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of the Shamrock WIP

Merry Scribe
03-25-2006, 07:13 PM
To get this forum going I am posting my current project I is called The Legend of the Shamrock and it will be done in Uncial which is the Irish forum of calligraphy. I have not started the calligraphy yet just the border I will post as I progress.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2006/75646-000_0222.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2006/75646-000_0223.jpg

This is for you Val one Irishman to an Aussie.

valchina612
03-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks so much Brian -- you are so kind. This is looking great, and I will be following it with much interest. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

Merry Scribe
03-26-2006, 12:05 AM
You are more than welcome Val!!!! I Love You for who you are. You are a great mentor!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Autumnwillow
03-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Looking great, Brian (just found out your name, hope it's ok to call you Brian?)
Can't wait to see it completed...

Michele

Merry Scribe
03-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Looking great, Brian (just found out your name, hope it's ok to call you Brian?)
Can't wait to see it completed...

Michele
Bye all means you can call me Brian I am an just an old man who has had one of his dreams come true because of people like you Thank You Again. Also thank you for the kind words on this project I want to make Val proud of me with this first Calligraphy post.:clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D :D

Jakeally
03-26-2006, 02:52 AM
That is a beautiful border Brian. I will certainly pull up a chair and watch with great interest.

sassybird
03-26-2006, 11:49 AM
You certainly have a big job ahead of you by the size of this project. Your border is beautiful, and I look forward to watching this develop.

Merry Scribe
03-26-2006, 07:04 PM
To get this forum going I am posting my current project I is called The Legend of the Shamrock and it will be done in Uncial which is the Irish forum of calligraphy. I have not started the calligraphy yet just the border I will post as I progress.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2006/75646-000_0222.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2006/75646-000_0223.jpg

This is for you Val one Irishman to an Aussie.

Second stage of the project. This stage I place a piece of micro-velium over the border and set up the borders for the writting. I am using Accient Uncial for this project being that it is about shamrocks and Uncial is an Irish calligraphy hand.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2006/75646-000_0224.jpg
I just started this today and I have a long way to go but I wanted those of you who are interested how one calligrapher sets things up. I am using a speedball nib and India ink.

Brian Your Friendly Neighborhood Scribe

CPM
03-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Brian, It looks great so far! For a calligraphy "newbie" how do you decide how many words go on a line (Averaging? Word length? Wild-ass guess?) - Chris

Merry Scribe
03-26-2006, 11:11 PM
Brian, It looks great so far! For a calligraphy "newbie" how do you decide how many words go on a line (Averaging? Word length? Wild-ass guess?) - Chris

Chris thank you for the kind comments. Character count and knowing the center of the scribing area. Each hand is different though so it helps if you have a guide board of guide sheet that you either make yourself or purchase. Now when I say character count I mean every letter and all the spaces between. Also a capital letter counts as two or three character depending on the hand you are scribing. For example an "A" in Uncial is two characters and a "W" is counted as four character. Now a small "a" in Uncial is one character where a small "w" is counted as two characters. If you look at my script here and look at an "a" and a "w" you will see what I mean. I hope I helped you here.

Brian :wave:

valchina612
03-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Brian, this is looking wonderful so far -- a lot of work, and coming along great. I am following you, every letter of the way. :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

moccasin
03-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi Brian ~

I followed you here from somewhere over there >>>>>>>>>>>>...

I have a dumb question ... if I may ???

If this is about shamrocks, then why have you chosen not to use a shamrock for the picture?? I figure there must be a reason and was curious ...

Cheers,
Sue

Merry Scribe
03-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi Brian ~

I followed you here from somewhere over there >>>>>>>>>>>>...

I have a dumb question ... if I may ???

If this is about shamrocks, then why have you chosen not to use a shamrock for the picture?? I figure there must be a reason and was curious ...

Cheers,
Sue

Because I thought of the border first and then what to put in print but that is the beauty of how I do projects I don't put the script on the border page until I am done with the script and then if I want to change the border I can. I thought of a shamrock border and that is what I am go to do and I will use this border for another project. I know some of you think that I may be working backwards. but I have to have a border first so I know what area I have to work in when I do the script.

Brian :wave: :D

Merry Scribe
03-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Second stage of the project. This stage I place a piece of micro-velium over the border and set up the borders for the writting. I am using Accient Uncial for this project being that it is about shamrocks and Uncial is an Irish calligraphy hand.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2006/75646-000_0224.jpg
I just started this today and I have a long way to go but I wanted those of you who are interested how one calligrapher sets things up. I am using a speedball nib and India ink.

Brian Your Friendly Neighborhood Scribe

This is a continuation of the second stage of the Legend of the Shamrock and the completion of the first paragraph.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2006/75646-000_0226.jpg
Using this hand you can see the very unique style of the Irish monks in the 6th thru the 8th centuries. This hand stopped being used and there are not many calligraphers or scribes who use it any more. The reason was it was very difficult to read and when the English invaded they prohibited its use. Old English then became the only hand to be used. I like this hand because it is unique and the fact that I am second generation Irish in America I am proud to be able to scribe in the Irish Hand "Uncial".

Brian

Merry Scribe
03-28-2006, 06:56 PM
I am sorry everyone I was not able to work on my WIP today because I had to take Annie my lovely wife to the Hines VA hospital and her needs come before anything else in my life. I promise that I will work on it more Wednessday.

Brian:wave: :D

prairie painter
03-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Oh, you have warmed my heart. Uncials are my favorite hand, I love how round-ey the are. Never much cared for the "g" though, so not being a purist, I made my own, adapting the "a" a bit, and giving it the tail of the Uncial "g". I tweak freely with letters that don't appeal to me, O I am Such an Arrogant American! :D

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh, you have warmed my heart. Uncials are my favorite hand, I love how round-ey the are. Never much cared for the "g" though, so not being a purist, I made my own, adapting the "a" a bit, and giving it the tail of the Uncial "g". I tweak freely with letters that don't appeal to me, O I am Such an Arrogant American! :D

You are a true calligrapher that is what the art is all about I am working on another project in Uncial and it is in gailic so I am doing it in Uncial and it is starting to look pretty good. When I am finished with it I will post it.

Brian your friendly neighborhood scribe:wave: :D

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 01:57 PM
I am finished with stage two and now I have to work on stage three. So here is what stage two looks like.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2006/75646-000_0228.jpg

I hope you like it.

Brian your friendly neighborhood scribe.:wave: :D

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
I have decide to change the border to shamrocks;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2006/75646-000_0230.jpg

Now I can do the third and final stage I place the template that I made in the second phase and place it under the sheet of micro-velium that has the border:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2006/75646-000_0231.jpg

Now I am ready to start the third and final stage and the is to rewrite what I had written on the micro-velium in the second phase I should be able to show the final product tomarrow.

valchina612
03-29-2006, 04:28 PM
This is great Brian -- it's coming along really well. :clap: :thumbsup:

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Thank you Val for your kind words I am hoping that I will have it finished by tomarrow. This one is for you guiden angle Val.:wave: :D

prairie painter
03-29-2006, 05:46 PM
The shamrock edging fits much nicer. Are you planning to add any gold? Seems a touch would really give this a nice finish.

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 10:28 PM
The shamrock edging fits much nicer. Are you planning to add any gold? Seems a touch would really give this a nice finish.

I think that would be a nice touch. But I have to ask my mentor quiden angle Val what do you think? I do not mean to disrespect you but Val is my mentor.

Brian your neighborhood scribe.:wave: :D

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 10:38 PM

I would love to see your work.

Brian your friendly nieghborhood scribe.:wave: :D

Merry Scribe
03-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Heres what I have on the semi final project I will take any and all suggestions. Val this is for you!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2006/75646-Legend_of_the_Shamrock.jpg
Val please reply!!!

valchina612
03-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Oh Brian, those Shamrocks are gorgeous. I just love EVERYTHING Irish. I'm trying to visualise the Shamrocks outlined in Gold. Mary suggested a touch of gold, but I think that if you added gold, it would need to outline the entire design, as it is the type of pattern that you really just can't pick out bits and pieces to add gold to. The outline you have now is so neat. If you could do the outlining with a fine pen, so that it isn't too heavy or overpowering, it would look nice to have the gold outline. If you are unsure as to whether you could get it to be as precise as it is now, then I'd leave it. But yes, I do think the gold added would be lovely. I'll be watching to see what you decide to do. I am glad you are doing this as a WIP, as it shows everyone how you put the Calligraphy and Design together. Keep up the great work. :clap: :thumbsup:

Merry Scribe
03-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Oh Brian, those Shamrocks are gorgeous. I just love EVERYTHING Irish. I'm trying to visualise the Shamrocks outlined in Gold. Mary suggested a touch of gold, but I think that if you added gold, it would need to outline the entire design, as it is the type of pattern that you really just can't pick out bits and pieces to add gold to. The outline you have now is so neat. If you could do the outlining with a fine pen, so that it isn't too heavy or overpowering, it would look nice to have the gold outline. If you are unsure as to whether you could get it to be as precise as it is now, then I'd leave it. But yes, I do think the gold added would be lovely. I'll be watching to see what you decide to do. I am glad you are doing this as a WIP, as it shows everyone how you put the Calligraphy and Design together. Keep up the great work. :clap: :thumbsup:

I love everyone comments and that is what makes me a better calligrapher and that is why I am doing this as a WIP I want to try and show people how to disigns in an easier way. Yes it take more work but it also saves work. I love calligraphy and I have developed my own way of learning hand and if anyone is interested I am willing to show them. I will try the gold trim but the only gold I have is gold metalic. I don't know how that would look. And I am affraid it would take away from the words or the calligraohy.

valchina612
03-30-2006, 02:51 AM
Brian, the moral to this story is -- if in doubt -- Don't. If the Gold has you undecided, it's best to leave it as it is -- you are happy with it, and it looks great as it is, so don't put yourself through any stress over it. I personally think it looks great like it is without the gold.
Hope this helps a bit.

Merry Scribe
03-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks Val.

Brian:wave: :D

Merry Scribe
03-30-2006, 01:53 PM
I am almost finished so I thought that I would give everyone an up dated look while I am taking a brake.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2006/75646-WIP_stage_3.jpg

As you can see I only have nine lines of print remaining to be done. I am hoping that those of you who are new to calligraphy are getting some ideas of your own on how to make your projects. I find that using micro-velium is the best and easies way for me. This method take a little long but the results are good.

valchina612
03-30-2006, 11:56 PM
It's coming along beautifully Brian. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Merry Scribe
03-31-2006, 07:58 AM
This is almost the finished product but I want those of you who have a more artful eye than I to tell me if you like the shamrocks with the gold trim or with out. Then I have to take out the old scraper and fix some errors then it will be finished.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2006/75646-000_0237.jpg

I am sorry about the camera strap and you really cann't see the gold trim that well and I sorry about that.

Brian your friendly nieghborhood scribe

valchina612
03-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi Brian,

Gold rarely scans or photographs well -- all metallics are very difficult to get to show up. It's a bit hard to give an opinion because of it not showing gold. I would say to go with your own heart.
I love your finished piece, and it is certainly worth all of the work you have put in to it. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Merry Scribe
03-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Hi Brian,

Gold rarely scans or photographs well -- all metallics are very difficult to get to show up. It's a bit hard to give an opinion because of it not showing gold. I would say to go with your own heart.
I love your finished piece, and it is certainly worth all of the work you have put in to it. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Val your opinion means alot to me. I am glad that you like the project. My next one is for my wife Annie and it is a little Irish blessing in Gailic so I am going to do that in Uncial as well.

Thanks again Val.

prairie painter
03-31-2006, 01:20 PM
I think the gold finishes it off perfectly!

CPM
03-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Brian, this is awesome. I love it with the Shamrocks! I like the gold! Thanks for the WIP, it was very educational. - Chris

Merry Scribe
03-31-2006, 03:51 PM
I think the gold finishes it off perfectly!

Thanks for the kind words I really enjoyed doing this project and posting as a WIP.

Merry Scribe
03-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Brian, this is awesome. I love it with the Shamrocks! I like the gold! Thanks for the WIP, it was very educational. - Chris

Thank Chris I am glad that you like the project and I am glad that you learned something from this. The next project I am planning to do is an old Irish blessing done in Gaelic so I will be doing it in Uncial also I might also do this one as a WIP also.

maryrose
03-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Double post see below
v
v
v

maryrose
03-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Brian...I just found this forum (I LOVE it!) and yours is the first thread I opened....I recognized you from... um..Discussions....

Your work is inspiring. I will so enjoy visiting this forum :clap:

I tried calligraphy a few years back...but got so caught up in the perfection of each letter... that my writing was stiff and w/out rhythm...

I think I'm going to give it another shot after finding this forum. I'm older now and perfection is becoming less and less important to me..:D

Great stuff....I'm off to open some more threads while my washes dry...(I'm even starting to get some patience with my H2Ocolor...:smug:)

TessDB
03-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Brian--

are you planning a series of blessings? Do you have The Carmina Gadelica by Alexander Carmichael? It's a *huge* collection of Scottish blessings, prayers, invocations... you name it, it's probably in there. And in most cases, the Scottish is pretty close to the Irish traditions.

The shamrocks rock :D And the gold is a great final touch.

Can't wait to see the next.

Tess

Merry Scribe
03-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Brian--

are you planning a series of blessings? Do you have The Carmina Gadelica by Alexander Carmichael? It's a *huge* collection of Scottish blessings, prayers, invocations... you name it, it's probably in there. And in most cases, the Scottish is pretty close to the Irish traditions.

The shamrocks rock :D And the gold is a great final touch.

Can't wait to see the next.

Tess
Thank you Tess I love scribing in Uncial and I love the old Irish I am sorry but I am second generation Irish in America. So my love is for anything Irish but I will check this book out because Scotts are Celtic also.