PDA

View Full Version : My friend Lisa...

JCoop
03-21-2006, 05:35 PM
My friend Lisa...

Still in the crude stage.

I'm using Janet's Acrylics brush for this one...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2006/30872-lisa_scrn_1_wc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2006/30872-lisa_scrn_2_wc.jpg

More screens to come.:)

Skinny
03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
TERRIFIC start! It's good to be able to follow this from the very beginning...:clap: I love the way you've handled the blue of her eyes. Joel, at what size and resolution are you working?

JCoop
03-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks Kristen. Hey, you might remember Lisa (peoplepainter)?... this is her.:)
I'm working at 300 DPI at aproximately 8" X 10" on this one.:)

Yako
03-21-2006, 07:44 PM
It's getting beautiful! I miss very much lisa's paintings. What has happened to her? She hasn't posted for a very long time!

justjean
03-21-2006, 10:36 PM
GREAT beginnings Joel , got my chair and popcorn now I'll just sit here and watch till the finish :D

fugitive
03-21-2006, 11:38 PM
I like it too, must be a racial thing;-) I am really interested in how the hair will look, as I'm a loser on hair.

Chiers
03-22-2006, 04:11 AM
Ha, you could stop right now and it would be terrific Joel!

JCoop
03-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Thankya, thankya, thankya... all of the feedback is greatly appreciated.

Greg, I've never noticed anything wrong with the way you do hair. Maybe you're not giving yourself enough credit.

Sherry, if I stopped right now with this floating head, I'm sure I'd find myself on the receiving end of a few of Lisa's choice adjectives!:D

It's getting beautiful! I miss very much lisa's paintings. What has happened to her? She hasn't posted for a very long time!

Kareen, Lisa is one of the busiest Portrait Artists around. She often laments that she has no time to post, but she really misses WetCanvas! She mostly does traditional Oils and Pastel... and she's unFRFEAKINbelievably talented.

Her website is http://www.lisaober.com

More to come.:)

fugitive
03-22-2006, 09:20 AM
I have a problem with Lisa's work, it's too perfect, I've seen thousands, and no classic artist ever painted with so much detail, makes me think of projection, or some dupelicating method. How can one paint sugar with texture, that looks like grains stacked together. THe silver spoon, also, the clearest I've ever seen, except on a photo, so how does she do it?

cpart
03-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Pulling up a chair and taking notes. Looks great so far.

JCoop
03-22-2006, 09:57 AM
I have a problem with Lisa's work, it's too perfect, I've seen thousands, and no classic artist ever painted with so much detail, makes me think of projection, or some dupelicating method. How can one paint sugar with texture, that looks like grains stacked together. THe silver spoon, also, the clearest I've ever seen, except on a photo, so how does she do it?

Greg, she doesn't use projection of duplication... I've witnessed it... she's is that good!:)

LadyAlba
03-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Gosh Joel I just saw this! :o Looks like it is going to be another winner:thumbsup: I'm with Jean sharing popcorn :lol: ...I had wondered what had happened to Lisa. ;o)

My comment on the perfection...what you are seeing is the difference in a professional with God given talent as compared to a lot of us that do this as a hobby and therephy. Of course I have seen alot of work posted here that can stand on its own...everyone has a different style and there is room for it all in the world of art appreciation. As I have said before painting is an ongoing learning process. :wave: So lets all PAINT ON!

PS: Joel, you are lucky to have seen her painting first hand! :)

TxAggieDarlin
03-22-2006, 10:17 AM
I want to see her work, I love detail

This is fantastic, JCoop.........love the way you work

JCoop
03-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Marge, hit the nail on the head with your comment. Your statement s are very insightful. Lisa has honed her God given skills for more than 20 years. It shouldn't come as a surprise that her work is very evolved.

Thank you all for your comments.:)

I had to expedite this portrait because I didn't want it to go unfinished, but I'm lucky enough to have a few commissions that I must turn my attention to. One of them will surprise you.;)

Here is the final... I posted it on my site, so that the detail would be meaningful for those who want to get closer. Click here (http://www.ipaintpeople.com/wetcanvas/Lisa Profile_final.jpg).:)

LadyAlba
03-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Finish with a bang! Fantastic and all acrylics? I really like seeing the larger version too. :wave:

peoplepainter
03-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi everyone! I really miss all of you. I couldn't think of a better reason to check in than to peek at Joel's painting of me. How do I say I love a painting when it's a painting of myself? LOL. It isn't the subject of course. It's the painting! I can say the brush strokes are exquisitely done. Look at the hair! I wish I had hair like that. I can also say the modeling of the skin is terrific. The colors used really help to turn the form. Finally, it looks like me (sorry I couldn't do better). Joel has an uncanny ability to capture a true likeness. He's taught me a lot.

Before I go let me thank you folks that have mentioned my work...even you, Greg (hope you are well) but I don't paint over a photograph. The sugar was stippled in with a dry brush to give it texture. I was going for realistic so thanks but it's just plain old traditional painting in oils or pastels. LOL. You all are very kind. I wish I had more time to post but work calls first. We all have different tastes and styles and that's what makes these forums so interesting.

I peek in from time to time to see what is going on and all of you that I know have improved so much. I am so impressed!

Great job, Joel! When I grow up I want to be just like you!

Nice seeing you all!

Lisa

justjean
03-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Beautiful painting Joel, Lisa must be so pleased :). Did you paint that on a canvas b/g or is that an effect from Janets brush ??

omniartz
03-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Amazing Portrait, Joel. You are a master! Love the large sized version. You are inspiring! Lisa's work is wonderful as well, great trad tools works! :D :wave:

JCoop
03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Lisa, so nice of you to comment... it thrills me that you like the portrait! You are always so gracious in your responses... thank you for your kind, kind words.

Jean, the background texture is a product of Janet's brush... ain't it cooool!:)

Kirk, thanks... kind words from a great guy/artist... I appreciate that.:)

maria_khurram
03-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Joel, this is tremedous. What a beautiful protrait of an elegant lady. Your brush stroke is devine.

I miss her too. She really inspired me.:thumbsup:

leofaerie17
03-22-2006, 06:18 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Great work love the background colours:thumbsup:

Skinny
03-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Terrific!

Shan Khurram
03-22-2006, 09:47 PM
As beautiful as ever. Love the painterly strokes.:thumbsup: