PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Day, Lazy River

MarshaSavage
03-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Here is a painting I did two weeks ago, but did not finish. Today I am trying to resolve the areas that I think need work and put those finishing "dots and dashes" on.

It is on Wallis and is 16x20. I'll dig up the photo reference I took this from so you can see how I changed the distant bank of trees.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2006/2540-LazyDayLazyRiver728x.jpg

Tell me if you see anything I'm not seeing! Thanks.

MarshaSavage
03-21-2006, 10:52 AM
Okay found the photo reference -- I tried to edit my post to put it in there, could not do it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2006/2540-LazyDayPhoto72.jpg

You can see how much darker the photo is than what I did with the painting. I feel like I am trying to use more of what I remember when plein air painting than what I see the camera took.

Paula Ford
03-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Ooooooooo beautiful!!! I like how you did the background Marsha. Love the blues and mistyness of it. Really lovely!

Paula

Merethe T
03-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Oooh, I'm in love with this place, this is so beautiful!! You've done a wonderful job with the colors, I'm impressed! I couldn't free myself from the ref like that yet... Looking at the painting I get a peaceful feeling, very soothing. Love it...

*Violet*
03-21-2006, 07:05 PM
it's very nice so far !! ... i hope you'll put in some of those lights caught in the water ... in the ripples and tiny rapids .... and some of those backlit leaves ... that would add some *sparkle* to a beautiful scene ...

granddad
03-21-2006, 07:15 PM
looks great to me, I love it all. james

Bhavana Vijay
03-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Its beautiful!! Love everything about it.Thank you for posting your reference photograph too.

Doodlebug1967
03-21-2006, 07:29 PM
This is beautiful as is. I can't wait to see what you do to finish it!

Ronda

binkie
03-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Gorgeous, as always!

binkie

Deborah Secor
03-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Marsha, lovely as always! One itsy thing--there's a reflection just to the viewer's left of the major middle rock that seems not to have a tree... You've done such a nice take on distance in this one. Love the sparkle!

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
03-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Of all the paintings you have shown us, this is my favorite so far. I am sure there are many more like this we haven't seen, but this is how I'd like to paint when I grow up - :)

You've made the painting soooooo much better than the photo - good for you!

artc
03-21-2006, 09:04 PM
A very nice painting.....very quiet...very serene...and very soothing.
On my monitor, the shadows on the far bank, directly behind the largest
rock appear almost black(in ref photo)...so I'm looking forward to seeing
how you handle these shadows.
An Excellent job so far.....Art

MarshaSavage
03-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Paula - thanks for your words about the blues and mistyness -- that was one big thing I wanted to put into the painting -- not those dark areas!

Merethe - sure you can free yourself from copying a photo -- try painting from life - outdoors, and your will see how photos lie. I tell my students all the time that the darks in a photo are usually way too dark. Or if you shoot for the detail in the dark areas, then your lighter areas are too washed out. Have fun, choose colors that you know would look good! Try to just use the photo as an inspiration for the painting.

Violet - I hope you can see by this installment that I am trying to get in some of those lights and ripples -- though I don't want to detract from the softness of the scene, the serenity, the quiet!

James, Rondy, Binkie, Bhavana -- Thanks!

Kat, I like this one too!
Deborah - I'm not sure which reflection of a tree you are referring to. Are you talking about the left side of the middle (major) rock and below the upper rock-- where it looks like a reflection?

Artie - I won't be handling those shadows on the far bank. I will most likely not touch that area again. I wanted the essence of distance so I painted it lighter and bluer than the photo. The photo put too much dark into it! I don't really want the eye lingering there across the bank.

Here is the latest update.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2006/2540-LazyDay2.jpg
I have added a few small limbs leaning toward the water in the front, with a couple of leaves trailing in the water. Still have to work on those ripples caused by that. I have fixed what I thought was wrong with the upper most rock's reflection in the water -- and sitting it down in the water too! I have added a few more dots and dashes to the left side foliage and some more lights of the water peaking through that foliage.

Appreciate the extra eyes! And help!

Paula Ford
03-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Beautiful Marsha! Wish I could go sit on one of those rocks with my fishing pole and enjoy a quiet day of nature.

Paula

M Douglas
03-22-2006, 01:52 PM
What a beautiful, peaceful, soothing painting. Wonderful.

Melodie

shawn932
03-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Really beautiful:thumbsup: hope you don't touch a thing. This could be anywhere near me, it looks so familiar. Could be on the Big South Fork.

Shane Keene
03-22-2006, 02:06 PM
This is beautiful. Reminds me of a favorite spot on the North Umpqua river.

Susan Borgas
03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Marsha a beautiful tranquil painting. Well done!! :clap: :clap:

KJSCL
03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Very nice Marsha. Love the changes you made from the reference. You've achieved alot of depth in the painting.

scall0way
03-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Gorgeous, far lovely colors than the ref. photo. I love the blue of the foreground water, and the far distant bank.

Sketchcny
03-22-2006, 09:25 PM
I just want to add another "Simply beautiful!"