PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Mar 20 Thru 26

K Taylor-Green
03-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Morning, everyone! Welcome to this week's edition of the Scumble, our weekly get together and chat thread. here, we talk about our lives and get to know each other. So grab a cuppa, get comfy, and lets visit!
Several new people have been dropping in lately. I hope they feel comfortable enough to come back.

I spent most of the weekend working horses. The weather has improved from wet, muddy, and dreary to cold, dry, and sunny, allowing me to finally get that youngster of mine started. While he has been petted a lot since being moved up from the back pasture, no serious training has been started. My husband said,
"You know, we really need to get a halter on that boy."
That can be easier said than done, even when they are a week old, let alone at 9 monthes!
So, armed with a new purple halter, a pocketful of apple treats, and determination, I headed out to try to get Kaseyn, AKA Seyn, used to the feel of a halter. I didn't expect to get it on him, just rub it around on his face so he wouldn't freak out the first time it was actually placed on him.
For those unfamiliar, a halter goes over the nose and a strap goes over the head to buckle to a shorter strap along the cheek. The nose part usually doesn't frighten them, but that strap thing can be a real monster!
Well, let me tell you, the little guy suprised me. Not only did the contraption not bother him, but within about half an hour, I had that thing buckled onto him!!:eek: He is now wearing a pretty purple halter.
Jess came up from the back pasture,where he had been doing fence repair, and was totally amazed. I was pretty proud of myself.
I then gave our two year old, Stega, a much needed refresher on leading. He has gotten balky over the winter. Since his saddle training will begin soon, the
basics need to be gone over.
Sunday was a beautifully sunny though cold day. We saddled up the older horses and went riding. We only stayed out about an hour, riding the fields, but it was enough to remind me why I own and love horses.:heart:

Khadres
03-20-2006, 10:50 AM
I take it you're not seeing this last (or near-last, I hope!) blast of winter weather we're getting! Wouldn't you know it, Gary had decided that if most things around town were closed down due to the weather today, he would take a "snow day" off from his job which is looooooong drive through exposed open land known for gale force winds and drifting snow during storms. Invariably, at least one motorist loses life or limb out there during storms like these plus he hates the half mile or so hike to the high-security portals on the base followed by another mile trudge from the portals to the building! Can't say I blame him there! Well, anyway, no sooner had he decided to stay home than he gets this frantic phone call from his boss about some "emergency" and Gary being the only person available to help...no rest for the wicked, so they say. So....I've just finished packing his lunch and serving as cheering committee while he dug the car out and got under way. He's under strict instructions to call when he gets to his desk so that I'll know he didn't disappear into a snowbank somewhere along the line. We lost a neighbor last year on that road!

khourianya
03-20-2006, 11:37 AM
We're getting that last blast of winter up here too. brrrr. So much for the first day of spring.

Wow - that's impressive, Kate. I think you have yourself an exceptional horse there. He'll still be talked about long after he is gone, I'm willing to bet!

Well, I'm officially registered in my first course toward my degree (well, the first course since re-registering and changing my degree program). I'm quite excited, though I can't believe I am going to do an academic degree. I must be weird, since I am excited about the prospect of position papers and critical analysis. either that or I am still sick from last week :evil:

We are still anxiously awaiting the completion of our blueprints so we can start counting down the days until they break ground on our house. I'm getting impatient, but I know it will happen soon enough and then we will be swept into the world of interior designers and flooring samples. I've started collecting furniture to refinish this summer and found some beautiful little nightstands to make over. I'll post before an dafter photos once I get them done :)

angecald
03-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Sooz, I'll be saying a prayer for Gary. Let's hope the "emergency" turns out to have been worth the risk! Does he really have to walk a couple of miles? I would think they'd have a shuttlebus if the distance from the parking lot is that great, or else let him take his car. I used to hate stormy days when my husband was teaching, because the school buses would be cancelled, meaning virtually no kids would be there, yet the school would be officially open, so he would have to go out in the storm. It wasn't as dangerous a trip as yours, but any drive with slippery conditions and low visibility is dangerous.

Kate, congratulations on getting the colt in a halter so soon! It sounds like he has a really sweet nature.

Nothing new around here. Our snow is almost gone but everything is still frozen. For some reason I think it feels colder when there's no snow, probably because everything is gray and grim. Oh, well, in a few weeks we'll all be complaining about the heat!

scall0way
03-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Wow, those last blasts of winter sound pretty extreme! I hope Gary's trip in goes well. Why so much walking involved? Cori, still can't wait for the blow-by-blow details on your new house, Kate I'm sure envious of your horses. What a great weekend.

Me, I'm just waiting for a callback from the neurosurgeon's scheduler to get my dad's surgery scheduled for next week. My biggest upset is that my dog Willow began having what seem like seizures this weekend. I heard her whimpering on Saturday morning. She'd already been outside and raced around, but now she was terribly upset, could not get up, could not use her legs! I called the vet who said I could bring her over, and while I was wondering how to get her there (she is a 50-pound butterball and *not* easy to pick up and carry) she suddenly got up and walked and seemed fine. I took her to the vet anyway who spotted nothing obvious, said maybe she had gotten a cramp or her legs had fallen to sleep.

So I brought her home, but that night she had another seizure, then another Sunday morning, and again Sunday night. Each time she seems aware and conscious, and confused about what is going on, and totally unable to use her legs or body. I keep thinking that Willow is now the *exact* same age (within a week) that her brother Merlin was when I had to have him put to sleep last June. <sniff>.

But we have an appointment to see the vet again later today, and maybe this time they will do some testing, and I'm hoping it will just prove to be something we can treat. Have not painted much. Well actually I tried another portrait of my cat Snickers on Saturday morning - that's about it. Art lessons are over for three weeks, so I'll have to find time to squeeze in the painting on my own. :)

CM Neidhofer
03-21-2006, 07:18 AM
This discussion came up a while back, but I couldn't find the thread it was in. Just for anyone's info, in the area or just passing through....Jerry's Artarama appears to at least have an address now here in Englewood, CO. I'm going to go check it out this morning. Their website says the location is 3473 S. Broadway, Englewood, CO. 303-789-2781. It's less than five minutes from my house!!! :clap: :clap:
I'll post an update later today if they're open.

Christine

dlake
03-21-2006, 10:31 AM
You are sooooooooo lucky to have an art store in the area. envy here.
I'm still redoing the house. Have the livingroom almost done and the kitchen half finished. Just repapered the shelves and I so hope I'll be done in the next day or two. wishful thinking. Outside of the portrait of Kelly I posted I have not be painting at all.
diane

chewie
03-21-2006, 11:17 AM
lucky isn't even close to it!! how great that'd be to fondle art supplies whenever i wanted to!! feel the papers, see the colors in hand, you lucky woman!

we've had another blast of serious winter for a few days, how ironic--the kids' spring break from school has been extended for 2 days due to severe snow!? the whole state was shut down, including the major interstate. which doesnt' bother me much, i got some serious painting time in!! got going on something that's been on my to-do list a while, and loving every minute of it!! only, i had to dig out my studio window, it had drifted in so much it was dark in there!! once i did, and plugged in the heater, i was good to go.

hey, good going kate, getting a halter on jr. there. we've had an odd thing happen a few weeks ago--a friend (older guy) had this little 'frenchmans' guy' bred filly. he decided it'd be a nice one for my kids, dropped it off, signed over the papers, and left??!! good grief! so, i guess we now have another horse. my youngest named her sunny, she is a bright palomino. she's rather a fireball tho., so i'm not sure about her as a kids' horse.

we also got a new puppy! a border collie, named allie. she's a smart little tike, but i think she's just teeth with some fur attached! yikes! my old dogs aren't very impressed. she'll be for working cattle.

we're knee deep in baby calves, and with this storm, its a tough job. running outta warm places to put them all, i feel so bad for those newborns, dropped in snowdrifts! brrr!

and i am sooo excited--friday morning, i am taking my 2 girls to mt. rushmore! my younger one has been begging to see it, and geesh, we dont' live that far, shame she hasn't seen it. plus, in rapid city this weekend there is a big horse expo!!!! tons of breeds we never would see normally (all quarters or paints here) and many clinics, etc., all for $15 the whole weekend!! heaven or what?! AND, there is a gallery willing to see me too! wish me luck, i am so worried about that. not sure having my paintings so far from home, but yet, they do me no good in boxes here at home!

wishing you all a good week, and good weather!!

K Taylor-Green
03-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Shivering here. Woke up to snow this morning, but no where near as much as they predicted. Awfully cold though.
Sooze, hope Gary made it there and back in one piece. Gosh, the winters you have out there!
Chewie, I think if someone dropped a horse off on us, Jess would seriously flip out! Well......unless it was another Palomino. He loves them, and we have two.
We are sooo far behind with Seyne, but he is sweet and good natured. We'll see how that goes once puberty hits! He will be a yearling in June.
We have the opportunity to attend an expo similar to that in Columbus. The Equine Affair is held every April. Natchurally, we are going. Then there is the big Arabian show in May. I intend to take lots of pictures.

chewie
03-21-2006, 04:59 PM
ooooh, take with yoooou!!! have a grand time, both would be a blast!

and i'm still not quite sure how i'm feeling over the dropped off horse. she's been rather tough, but is just coming 2, and they can be that way! i guess i just wasn't in the market for a young horse!! and i doubt she'll even make 14 hands, so what do we do with a tiny fireball?? gosh, i believe this is the proverbial 'looking a gift horse....' hahahah!!!

Grasshopper
03-21-2006, 07:44 PM
You guys with horses really impress me. I love horses more than any animals (well, next to dogs) but I'm leary of them. I know very little about them but they are so beautiful. Heaven to me would be having them all around me. I envy you, Chewie.

I went to my newer doctor I switched to a few months ago today. He said I definitely need the surgery recommended by my neurosurgeon. They would like to try first a micro-discectomy, which sounds better to me than a fusion. He said they'll have to go in at a couple different areas. It could take a long time for workers comp to approve it, though, and we've been working on them to amend it to include my sacrum discs, too. The waiting for something to happen is getting to me. It's 8 months I've been done like this, even though the injury itself is old; it's only 8 months I've been lying down and unable to sit. Get discouraged here and there but have been doing better since I had a spiritual epiphany a couple months ago, when I realized some biblical things I needed to figure out. God can still use me as I am. That has helped me greatly not to feel useless and so much of a burden.

KA Obee
03-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi Grasshopper,
About your spiritual epiphany... have you read about Andy Holcomb? Last year in January (I think he was around 18 yrs old when this happend) he was in a terrible industrial accident. He actually lost the lower half of his body - everything below his belly button - and lived. I know it sounds like something out of one of those newspapers in the grocery line, but it's true. I'm not telling this story to make people squeemish, but because of your situation. Here is this kid who by all rights should be dead, who is not only alive, but is trying to figure out ways to help other people... Here's a link to an article about him. He's an amazing young man, with an amazing family.
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/columnists/jewell_cardwell/13632093.htm
Good luck with all you are going through. It sounds like there just may be a light at the end of your tunnel if the surgery turns out the way it should!
KA

KA Obee
03-21-2006, 09:34 PM
O.K., I just realized that you most likely have heard of Andy considering that you are from Ohio....
Still, I think it's such an inspirational story. He's just a kid afterall.
I really do hope the surgeon is able to help you. I think your attitude is just amazing too.
KA

Khadres
03-21-2006, 09:51 PM
This discussion came up a while back, but I couldn't find the thread it was in. Just for anyone's info, in the area or just passing through....Jerry's Artarama appears to at least have an address now here in Englewood, CO. I'm going to go check it out this morning. Their website says the location is 3473 S. Broadway, Englewood, CO. 303-789-2781. It's less than five minutes from my house!!! :clap: :clap:

Christine

I'll be waiting to hear!!!!! :D

Khadres
03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Sooz, I'll be saying a prayer for Gary. Let's hope the "emergency" turns out to have been worth the risk! Does he really have to walk a couple of miles? I would think they'd have a shuttlebus if the distance from the parking lot is that great, or else let him take his car.

Well, He said it was a sort of emergency in that the folks in Alabama couldn't run their procedure until someone back here accessed the something or other and he was the only one in town who can do it, so....

Said the drive wasn't so bad after all, but the hike in in the wind and blowing snow was horrible. The distance of the parking lot from the portals is because it's a high security area and to prevent any chance of car bombs, etc. The distance from the portals to the bldgs. is security intended as well. There is a shuttle during regular working hours but he goes in a couple hours earlier than those so has to hoof it.

More snow predicted tonight...I wouldn't really mind it so much if it was real SNOW....not just these piddly 1 to 3" dustings that bring all the same pains in the behind as heavy snow does....ya still have to chip the car windows clear and deice the sidewalks, etc. and still run the chance of sliding around on the roads. I swear it seems winterier since official spring started than it did all winter! Oh, well, grumble grumble grumble.:smug:

CM Neidhofer
03-27-2006, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by christyart

Christine

I'll be waiting to hear!!!!! :D

Hi Sooz. Sorry for the delay in replying. Weather has been beautiful and we've been out fishing a couple of mornings after work. Jerry's Artarama opened about three weeks ago here. They're not fully stocked yet, but have some sets of Rembrandt and Schminke pastels, along with open stocks of both. An assortment of pastel pencils as well. Canson paper and Wallis, which they were out of. I think you said you've been to the Fort Collins location. The sales lady here said this store is bigger than the Fort Collins one. There's a basement area here that is just for easels and looks like they'll have larger items like maybe paper storage, things like that down there. I bought a roll of glassine and a color shaper while I was there. A lot of items weren't priced yet and they're still getting stock in. But it looks like my kinda place!!! lol

Christine