PDA

View Full Version : Documenting and copyright information

Shari
03-19-2006, 04:39 PM
I found this interesting thread today and thought someone might benefit from this information.

www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech30.html

Bringer
03-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Hi,

Thank you Shari.
Indeed a great link.
It's funny that here in Portugal, untill now, none of the galleries I went into (just asking since I still didn't build my portfolio) don't accept slides.
They want CDs or prints.
And I think it's more logical to have access to a computer than to a slides' projector.

Regards,

Josť

PeggyB
03-19-2006, 06:22 PM
It's funny that here in Portugal, untill now, none of the galleries I went into (just asking since I still didn't build my portfolio) don't accept slides.
They want CDs or prints.
And I think it's more logical to have access to a computer than to a slides' projector.
Regards,
Josť

You are right Josť, many galleries here are beginning to want a CD too. I didn't see a date on the site Shari referenced, but I'm thinking some of the information is "old hat". However, it does have good info too so is worth reading. I suspect the slide projector is going the way of tape recorders or even more so, the phonograph! :lol:

I find it easier to keep a record on CD anyway. Not all those little "pieces" to put into slide sleeves and then store somewhere.

Peggy

Donna A
03-19-2006, 08:12 PM
And a friend of mine came across a gallery that wanted things sent in the form of an emailed pdf format. Wow!

Peggy, I think you are right about the slide projector, etc! I think it's getting to where an artist absolutely NEEDS to be computer savy. Lot of artists still are not. Yikes! and PhotoShop----the full version----probably more of an investment than a luxury! It do be sweet!!! :-) Donna ;-}

ps---guess everyone knows to save a "master" image in as high a format as possible! Copy it, but do not resave as a jpeg!!!! Every time you resave a jpeg---it thows away information. Some don't know that, sooooo..... I save as a tiff. PhotoShop Document is good, too. .psd. Best wishes! Donna ;-}

Tressa
03-19-2006, 08:16 PM
I remember a few issues ago, when the letter from the editor at PJ was regarding their "search" for a slide projector, as the one they had died..How they had a hard time finding one, as they are not made anymore..etc...I was like, hello...that should tell you something....Maybe the Art World will get into the digital age, on the same page, one of these days. :)

Tres

Dot Hoffman
03-20-2006, 09:38 AM
ps---guess everyone knows to save a "master" image in as high a format as possible! Copy it, but do not resave as a jpeg!!!! Every time you resave a jpeg---it thows away information.

Donna, I have heard the same thing about jpeg files, but I asked a couple of computer gurus I know about it, and they said it's not true. I wonder how we can find solid documentation regarding loss of info on jpegs. Does anyone know?

Khadres
03-20-2006, 10:36 AM
I know jpgs were always considered "lossy" or prone to losing information with each resave, BUT that was contingent on it being a RESAVE...ie. a save from any already saved .jpg. In other words, the first time you save a picture in .jpg format is fine, but to save that .jpg over itself is bad since that loses info from the original .jpg....if that makes any sense. Of course, all that may be moot these days...this is just the way it was explained to me several years ago.

I agree with Donna on the issue of always having the original image stored in the most lavish format possible. With larger hard drives such as th ose available today, space is no longer such a bugaboo, so go for the gold on that original photo. Obviously, when sending the image email, etc. or posting online, .jpgs are cool due to their much smaller size.

Laura Shelley
03-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Ah--now this is directly up my alley, since for many years I worked as a computer graphic artist. Here's some not-too-intimidating technical info:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/jpeg-faq/part1/

Some people claim that every time you open and close a .JPG file it loses information, which is not true. You do have to re-save it in order for that to happen. I'm not sure why anyone would tell you that a re-save doesn't lose information, because it certainly does; I could easily demonstrate!

However, at the higher quality levels and high resolutions you may not notice the change much if at all. It's when you get down to the heavy compressions that your picture starts to look like overcooked spinach. :D I see this in newspapers all the time now; somebody's over-compressed a file (perhaps to email it) or used something off the Web. They always print these images blown up much too large, with the square artifacting visible everywhere and the mushy halos hovering around every formerly sharp edge! Ugly as sin.

Laura

Bringer
03-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi,

Of course that when one saves more than one picture in JPEG format, will always save from the original and not from another JPEG.

Regards,

Josť

Dot Hoffman
03-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Laura, Thank you for the info!!!