PDA

View Full Version : No title yet - WIP

sillybean75
03-19-2006, 01:03 PM
WIP

Just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions, I'm still working on it. So let me know, what y'all think. :)

lani noa
03-19-2006, 01:06 PM
It is coming along nicely. I saw your reference photo in another post, love the shot. How are you planning on doing your background?

sillybean75
03-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Washes is the only thing I can think of...for the blurred/out of focus background.

TY I'm still working on softening the edges in the dogs face and getting the grapes right, they look almost like blueberries in color, so that's not exact, but that powdery look is quite a challenge for me. :)

gaykir
03-19-2006, 03:42 PM
This is great fun! Can't wait to see it finished! Our cat wants to smell everything! It's coming along nicely.
Gayle

mrs willow
03-19-2006, 04:02 PM
This is an interesting subject and reminds me of a Kelpie dog we had. She would go up to the grapes and when we weren't looking would delicately nibble away.
Your painting is coming along well.But I think it does need some more work overall ..especially on the grapes and background.
Sandy

Nitsa
03-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Coming along nicely!

sillybean75
03-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Thank you all, did some work on the grapes and the background last night. :) It's coming along nicely. I will post once I'm a little further along. :)

idylbrush
03-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Looks like it is coming along nicely. Looking forward to the next installment.

sillybean75
03-20-2006, 04:06 PM
What would be the best medium to get those grapes looking just right.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/sonya75/grapepecorino.jpg

sillybean75
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Well I think I'm in the ugly stage, but thank goodness there isn't an overwhelming amount of white. Gets a little intimidating.

Trying to use washes and some dry brushing and scrumbling to soften out the edges and have it blend. I'd like to try glazing, but not sure what type of medium to get yet...so I'm stalled. I was thinking just gel to mix in and try that.

Well here he is for now. :)

sillybean75
03-23-2006, 12:09 PM
So I've been experimenting with glazes and can't believe the difference its made...I'm totally impressed. I'm hoping to make more progress today and show you all later. :D

Goff
03-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Sillybean... It's still early....you're doing fine... looking forward to the next post!

sillybean75
03-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Here's an update. :D

les lull
03-24-2006, 01:59 PM
I like the composition alot. It seems a little disconnected as far as the interaction between the dog and the grapes. There are some wonderful blue tones in the photograph that appear to be missing in the painting. It appears as though you may be getting your gray tones in the dog by mixing black and white. I would challenge you to lose your tube of black. I see a mix of ultrmarine blue, burnt sienna, diox purple and white in the dogs face. The grapes, I see a mix of ultra blue and diox purple and a touch of napthol red to get the richness of the fruit. I would carry some of this color into the highlight on the dogs nose. I am not sure if any of this is helpful or welcomed. Great start.

sillybean75
03-24-2006, 02:16 PM
I don't have diox purple...any suggestions?

les lull
03-24-2006, 07:06 PM
do you have napthol red and ultramarine blue?

sillybean75
03-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Thank you for the help, I am having problems getting the grapes right, but have started working on it and its coming along.

Yes I have napthol red and ultramarine blue...I've been making my own purple, but I was going to do a wash on the dogs face to bring in the grapes colors a little...I just didn't want to mess with it yet until I got the color just right. :) Up until then I've just been dry/semi-wet brushing the black lines to smooth them out in dogs face. Hope that makes sense. :)

les lull
03-25-2006, 02:26 PM
sometimes I will work out my color composition on a scrap canvas that I have in the studio. If for instance I painted just one grape and worked out the color combinations, I seem to have a little less interest fussing with it and discover some interesting approaches to the actual piece. There is sometimes a mental block with the actual canvas.

sillybean75
03-25-2006, 02:51 PM
yeah I found myself sitting there the other night not knowing exactly what I wanted to do and what colors to pick. :( I didn't get very far that night.

I am happy to say that the background is coming more in focus, just wish I had done an underpainting with a black and white photo first for depth. :) Oh well you live and you learn!

sillybean75
03-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Okay well I tried the colors for the grapes that Les suggested and I think they are coming out better. Well I think so...I'm going to be finishing up the background later...I think I need a bit of a break to sit back and take a closer look.

Please let me know what you think. :)

sillybean75
07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey guys it's me again. I'm still working on this painting "dog and grapes". I don't want to keep messing with this until it looks like crap, but I also don't want not to finish it cuz I'm intimidated and overwhelmed.

So, if there is one thing I need to focus on first which would it be? The background, the "damn" :( grapes or the dog?

LavenderFrost
07-19-2010, 12:34 PM
You really took a break. :lol:

I always like to finish the background first, that way I can overlap the foreground a bit and avoid the painted around look, and keep working from back to front. I also like to focus on one area at a time so that I don't get overwhelmed.

A lot of people don't like painting grapes. But I think they are one of those things where you don't think they will ever look right, and then all of a sudden they are done.

sillybean75
07-19-2010, 02:53 PM
I know i'm going to have to dust it off :D

now that i know how to do some of the background I'm going to try, it's so hard to pick it back up again. Intimidation I bet.

OkeeKat
07-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Great work so far, Love the photo!!
Only suggestion is to try mixing your reds and blues to come up with differnet tones of purple, bluish/purple.

Foxyheart2002
07-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Your grapes will begin to look better when you give them the round look. Right now they are just kinda all over the place. Start with your back ones, then paint the next closest, then the next until you get to the top (front) ones. Never try to start at the front and go back, they never turn out round like they deserve. When doing the back ones, treat them like they will be the top ones, do the whole grape, all the highlights, shadows, etc. Then do the ones on top of them, etc. It's getting there, don't give up on it.

Foxyheart2002
07-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Oh, after you get the bunch like you want it, then you can glaze them to push the back ones further in the back. For me it is easier to do all of them, then glaze for depth rather than try to do it mixing paint colors.

dances_with_oils
07-22-2010, 02:47 AM
SB, this example might help you with the grapes... http://karlzipser.com/2007/01/purple-grapes-continued.html