PDA

View Full Version : My first painting on canvas, C&C Welcome

karma kat
03-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Hello, everyone! Sorry about the picture quality, but I don't have a digicam so I had to use my cell phone camera. I wanted to share my first painting on canvas with you all to see what you think. My mother loves hummingbirds, so she asked me to paint her some for her birthday. She really loves it, but I wanted some outsider (non-biased..lol) input since I am new to acrylics.
The painting is 16"x20" on canvas (painted sides), done with Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics, varnished with Golden Satin Varnish. I found out only after I was halfway through that Liquitex Soft Body acrylics are much better with small detail, but I managed to finish the painting in Heavy Body anyway and actually liked the texture that it gave the finished painting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2006/76253-hummingbird-darkest.jpg
And some close-ups:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2006/76253-hummingbird-female.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2006/76253-hummingbird-male.jpg
Sorry again about the picture quality, but I was eager to show this one! :D
C&C Welcome!
Thanks for looking,
-karma kat :cat:

mrs willow
03-19-2006, 12:47 AM
Hi karma kat:wave: I think your mother will be very pleased. It is a bit difficult to assess the colours because of the darkness of the photo but they look to be a good combination of warm and cool. The humming birds look fine too.
My only nit is the flowers on the left. I think you could have made some more interesting shapes by opening up some more spaces between the flowers and leaves....also perhaps bringing the flowers further across towards the other side.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work in this forum.
Sandy

karma kat
03-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Sandy- Yeah, I wasn't too happy about the flowers myself. The reference photo was kinda hazy as far as the flowers were, and I tried to find other pictures of the flowers, but then I started adding too much and I was afraid to ruin the whole thing. Plus, I only had about 2 weeks to do the whole painting.....let's just say that this painting was definitely a learning process and I walked away from it knowing a lot more now so I can be more prepared for the next painting...lol. :D Overall, I was really happy with it and glad that I came away with so much.
You are officially my first comment/critique! Thank you. :wave:

Lady Carol
03-19-2006, 08:30 AM
The composition is great and I love that background colour. How did you make the colour. My only nit is the upper hummingbird's wing doesn't look as though it is coming towards us. But foreshortening is hard to get and it really does not detract from the overall piece.

tubbekans
03-19-2006, 09:51 AM
I like the fence post and barbed wire being included as they give a sense of scale. I think it works real fine. Good one kat.

dreamz
03-19-2006, 10:28 AM
It is difficult getting true construcacritisisum from family/friends, although my daughters do/will pick a creation apart for me (and they are usually correct) I do like this painting overall, you don't have to do true to life flowers but look for packets of morning glory or other deep throated flowers for inspiration. Seeing as they aren't the focus however I wouldn't change this one at all

3chaway9
03-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi Kat:wave: ....for your first acrylic....fantastic:thumbsup: ...and there's nothing worse than a 'iffy' photograph....well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

karma kat
03-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Lady Carol-For the background I used Cadmium Orange, Medium Magenta, Titanium White and a pinch of Diox Purple (all Liquitex Heavy Body), although it's hard to tell from the picture. I used a damp sea sponge and made circular strokes, picking up different colors here and there, sort of blending it onto the canvas. The reference photo had a greenish blue background, but I felt it needed more punch. I would probably use orange everywhere if I had the chance...lol.

tubbekans-I almost didn't put the barbed wire in there because I was pressed for time, but then I realized it needed something to keep it in perspective.Thanks for noticing. :)

dreamz-Yeah, my mom is not very artistic so she thinks that everything I do is gold...lol. The flowers did give me some problems. I didn't get to spend as much time on it as I wanted to, so I concentrated on the hummingbirds to make them look right. The flowers will probably bother me everytime I look at it, but at least I learned from it.

3chaway9-Thank you for the compliments. I'm still hinting to my boyfriend about a digital camera, and Easter's coming soon....so here's hoping! :D

Thank you all for your comments so far. I really appreciate it and now I'm not so intimidated about showing my work. :)

del m
03-19-2006, 07:50 PM
seperate the birds some so as to difine them and humming birds hoover over an open flower . As a first this well done

Donna A
03-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Your secondary color scheme of orange, green and violet----with the lovely neutrals----works very well. Having a large area of one and more accent ares of the other richer colors is exciting! Think your mom will thoroughly enjoy this! Donna ;-}