PDA

View Full Version : You did it again, Scott!

arteitaliana
02-20-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the letter advising that we had a week to find alternate sites for uploading ebay images.
Unfortunately, you did not wait a week and the images on ebay were substituted by a nice message and a smiling face. A nice touch.
I wrote you a few month ago when the same kind of thing occurred ( not in such a nice way like today, no smiling face, then) and offered to pay a fee to use the service. You answered saying that it was all a mistake and everything was back working properly, which it did.
I think that most of us would pay to have the uploading service, why can it be done? Why must you delete our images without warning like you did today?
..Offsite file linking is now prohibited. After a grace period of a week or so (plenty of time for offending accountholders to retrieve their important files), any account which is used for something other than the promotion of a visual artist, will be removed. This includes offsite file linkers....
What I understood is that the above did not apply to people like me, since I am an artist and use ArtistNation to promote my art, and in case it did apply, I had a week to find alternate solutions, (which would have been the fair thing to do on your part, by the way).
Again, I think that paying for the use for a limited chunk of space would be a good thing, for all involved.

Sincerely,

Rita

CarlyHardy
02-20-2002, 07:33 PM
Rita, I explained to Scott that our auctions are effected adversely because we can't change them when we already have bids on the artwork....so he has changed the setting temporarily. This will give the auctions time to run...but we will need to find new image hosting services.

Your files and site won't be deleted! but the ability to link offsite will be.

I'm on the lookout for image hosting...stay tuned!
carly

CathyD
02-20-2002, 08:43 PM
Please let us know if you find anything Carly and Sumafra. I had thought about using the free photo hosting site on Yahoo, but the problem with that is that they can follow the link and go to the hosting site and make copies of your artwork. Not good! I am looking for something too and will let you know when I find something.

Pardon my ignorance here, but I need some clarification here... we can still put the website link on our about me page so folks can look at our website, right? It is only the link to put pictures on other sites that is not allowed???

I think I will go re-read the notice.

I am still working on my website.... I hope I can link people to it when I get it done.

Happy Hunting!

arteitaliana
02-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Thanks, Carly and Cathy, I will stay tuned.

"I had thought about using the free photo
hosting site on Yahoo, but the problem with that is that
they can follow the link and go to the hosting site and
make copies of your artwork. Not good! "

I really don't care if they copy my artwork...what can they do with that? It's scanned at 175 dpi, so is not a quality that is good for reproduction. They can copy my artwork from my webpage also for that matter. I am not so attached to my so called "art". ( also because I don't consider it art, is just painting, it's the way I make my living. )
What I don't understand is why Scott does not name a fee for this service and also why he has to pull the carpet under from our feet so suddenly and not give us time to find alternative upload sites. I thought we had a week to do that....
:mad:

CarlyHardy
02-20-2002, 09:51 PM
Rita, if you have a site at geocities, I've been told that you can link from that site into your auctions. I'm starting a new thread about the hosting services....
carly

Sumafra
02-20-2002, 10:58 PM
I am trying to understand exactly what has happened. Unless I'm mistaken, we will not be able to link to a picture stored at Artist Nation from another site such as Ebay. I'm not really suprised. I've had my free website at geocities for over a year and have never been able to link to my pictures from another site. That's why I simply use the Ebay system for uploading my pictures. The first photo is free and the rest are really reasonable, $0.15 each I think.

Nevertheless, another option is to store pictures with your own ISP. All these services come with at least 5 mg of free storage if not more. I don't use mine but that is certainly an option that I would consider if that was a problem.

I am assuming that the sites set up on Artist Nation will remain there for viewing. I just checked my pictures and they are still all there.

I'll be following this discussion with interest if someone comes up with a good one for storing pictures that is free or very reasonable.

Thanks Carly for the info.

scottb
02-21-2002, 12:17 PM
After some more research, I believe I may be able to make an exception for ebay - let me keep digging and get back to you guys.

fmarsh
02-21-2002, 05:45 PM
I used to use geocities to host my Ebay images, as my web site is there.

About 6 months ago they stopped external linking too, and the Ebay pics did not work. However Rita has a pic on her about me hosted by geocities and it works fine.

So geocities may also have rescinded their earlier policy and are now reallowing links to their pics from Ebay. Just a point of clarification.

Fred

scottb
02-22-2002, 12:35 AM
Okay - I believe this is working - can someone verify that their e-bay items are still showing up? I don't have any links to your items or I'd verify this myself. I tried searching for "Rita Monaco", etc. but came up empty ... :(

arteitaliana
02-22-2002, 12:53 AM
Thanks, Scott!! I don't know if the image would show up because I deleted it after I received your
email yesterday.
My ebay user name is "arteitaliana"
Today I used an image loaded on geocities. I will have to load an artistnation image on ebay and get back to you. In the meantime, think about a fee structure for this service. That would make me more comfortable using it. I don't think is fair that we use ArtistNation to sell on another site and you get nothing...not fair at all.

R

arteitaliana
02-22-2002, 01:05 AM
I went a looked at a listing that ended yesterday...(faster this way) and the image shows fine.

THANKS!!!!!

Rita:clap: