PDA

View Full Version : New to all of this

cpart
03-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Well I got myself a Wacom and have been playing. I usualy draw animals, but decided to have a go at a person. So here is what I have started. I drew the initial picture in graphite and then scanned it in at 300 dpi as a colour image.

Then I got to work playing with Pianter Essentials 2. I'm quite please with the result so far. However all C&C is welcome, especially with regards to skin tones and how to paint eyes and lips (which I have to do yet).

Hope you don't laugh too much :D, but please do give lots of advice :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, if you can't tell what it is, its supposed to be a US soldier from the Vietnam war.

digistyle
03-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Looks like you're enjoying your Wacom already! :D I like what you've done so far, but you may want to check the jaw line shape and proportions.

digistyle

Yako
03-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Wow! you are doing pretty well with your first attempts.....:thumbsup:

Regards the skin tones don't know much. Perhaps they are right, it depends too on the background you'll use and the ethnic group of the guy.

The face color would look different depending on the background color you use. For example, in my monitor your face looks like it's painted in ochre tones.If you use a green background visually it will add its complement: that is, visually it will add a bit red to the face and the face would look less ochre and it would look more towards brown-orange. If you use purple, it will add its complement: yellow and the face would be even more yellowish and so on.....Just some silly things i learned from colors.....

Regards the skin tones don't know much, hope Maria, Joel, Waheed or Smokin helps you, they know well this subject...or perhaps you could search in their threads, they have done some wips about it.

Hmmm....i found this....perhaps might help you a bit:http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292780

omniartz
03-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Welcome! We are happy to have you share with us! I tend to muddy the skintones so I'm not going to be much help :lol:!

LadyAlba
03-19-2006, 01:20 PM
For a start this is fantastic! ;o)

Skinny
03-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Great beginning, Stu! When you do the eyes, pay careful attention to the coor of the "whites". I'm always surprised at how dark those "whites" are. :cool:

cpart
03-19-2006, 02:50 PM
digistyle - Many thanks for commenting. I have made his mouth wider, but he does have a very 'stuck on' chin :lol:

Yako - Thank you also. Thanks for the link, that is going to be very useful and all the colour info. Much appreciated.

omniartz - Thanks, I can get away getiing this one muddy, he is a soldier :evil: So he's going to get mucky!

LadyAlba (blush) thank you so much.

Skinny - Iv'e done some more on him today, and put quite a bit of blue in his eyes, but they still look very bright. Plus they are both different shapes :eek: Thanks for the kind words.

Been playing again on this one. It does not help that I have a copy of Imagine FX magazine on my desk:( How do they get their skin looking so real? I decided to change his helmet to just one without the insect replent bottle. I'm going to leave him for a bit, then look again later to see how to improve it.

Again all C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

justjean
03-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Looking great and it looks like you've no problems going from the animal world to the human one :D

cpart
03-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Justjean - Thanks :D

TracyN
03-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Great beginning, Stu! When you do the eyes, pay careful attention to the coor of the "whites". I'm always surprised at how dark those "whites" are. :cool:

Yep, Skinny is absolutely correct warning you about the whites being 'too white' when you get around to rendering them. One of the things that sticks out in my mind the most from taking art in college is my teacher warning us several times that very few things in nature are pure white. And what is white, reflects surrounding colors.

Great job for your first try! I look forward to more.

TxAggieDarlin
03-20-2006, 12:20 PM
If this a first try, you are going to be great!! Very nice job

jhercilia
03-21-2006, 01:27 AM
You are doing great and I am enjoying watching this progress.

Elainepsq
03-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Wow, Stu, I think you are doing great! I really like the skin tones you've used so far.
When I taught art in middle school, I would introduce portrait drawing with a 3 dimensional sketch like this to use as a form more or less, to stress the need for the face to be symetrical and to teach where to place the features (eyes, nose, ears etc) Thinking of it as a 3d form, also kept the face from getting too flat.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2006/42008-face_form.jpg
At first, I thought you were struggling with getting the 2 sides of the face symmetrical, but your second posting has really improved! Good for you!

Skinny
03-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Stu...you've done an unusually good job with the ears! The eye whites are still WAY TOO WHITE. That helmet would cast a dark shadow. The "whites" would be a gray.

cpart
03-22-2006, 06:35 PM
TracyN - Thanks for looking in and commenting, yep the whites are way too white :eek:

TxAggieDarlin - (Blush) Thank you :D

jhercilia - Thank you, much appreciated

Elainepsq - Thanks also:D My Original pencil sketch was quite acurate, it was when I started messing about with the paint effects I lost the plot!!:o thanks for the example drawing :thumbsup:

Skinny - Thank you, ears are a pain to do, I think I just didn't think about them, I just followed my instinct.

Well I've had another play with the eyes. I'm happier with the colour, but not the shape of the eyes:(

Think I'll call this one quits now, and have a think about what to do next. I might have a go at just doing facial parts, but then knowing me I'll just jump in with a full face again :evil:

Thanks for looking and all C&C is welcome.

cpart
03-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Would help if i post the picture!!! :p

TracyN
03-22-2006, 06:55 PM
I can see that you're trying to pay attention to light source. That's usually a common mistake for beginners but you're obviously watching for it. Good on ya, keep it up!

I love the helmet colors and blending! Great job on that!

Aside from that, I agree with the others as to being careful with proportions.

cpart
03-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi TracyN - Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated.