PDA

View Full Version : Need a warm, light red

walden
02-20-2002, 12:03 PM
In oils, I've been using W&N Winton cadmium red light as my warm light red, and I don't like it-- too powerful, too dark. Is there another warm light red that won't overwhelm mixes so much? A lighter value straight from the tube would be nice, too.

Thanks!

LarrySeiler
02-21-2002, 04:55 AM
Lisa...

I had this problem about a month or so ago when I was painting a scenic of a coast guard lighthouse in outdoor natural sunlight. Was looking for a red that had the chroma intensity I needed.

It took awhile and trying a few suggestions, but what I learned was...being a primary color it may simply require relenting to avoid spending a bit of money to try a few colors. I'm glad I did and now I have a few extra colors in my easel.

I was using Cadmium Red Medium and Cadmium Red Light for my warm reds...and Rose Madder or Alizarin Crimson for my cool reds. However...where "warmth" is concerned it has to be nearly a pure pigment as you hint to be looking for. As a primary, you either find it and it works or not.

Here's the thread I posted inquiring about different reds in the Landscape Forum last December-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26673

I took Vallarta's advice and I added Grumbacher Red to my arsenal, also a Quinacridone. I feel I can produce nearly about any red I see now outdoors, but it took awhile.

Larry

walden
02-21-2002, 08:09 AM
Great reference, Larry-- thanks! I'll look at the Grumacher and at Quinacridone Red-- I didn't think about that, but I use and like Quinacridone Rose. The discussion reminded me of the thought that occurs to me frequently-- only God gets to paint with light, the rest of us have to use paint. :)

Einion
02-24-2002, 09:46 PM
If a mix is okay try adding in a little of a warm organic yellow if you have one (one of the arylides would be ideal) to your Cadmium Red Light and see what you think. It will lighten the value and weaken the strength in mixes somewhat so it might yield what you're looking for.

It's worth noting that the combination of warmth + light value is not largely represented in single-pigment reds, especially if you want opacity. Some of the newer synthetic reds like the pyrroles, arylamides, naphthols and quinacridones are worth a look if you want to expand that part of your palette. They often have a very individual character and they tend to be weaker tinters than the cadmiums; they are also largely transparent to semitransparent which might be a good or a bad feature depending on what you're looking for. Winsor & Newton offer Winsor Red (PR188) which is a warm red but it might not be light-valued enough for you. If they are available to you Talens, Blockx, Gamblin and Schmincke Mussini all have other dark oranges/scarlet reds worth a look, I can give you the names if you need them.

Einion

walden
02-25-2002, 12:17 AM
Thanks, Einion. I don't care about opacity, as I am always using it in mixes with other opaques-- so the transparents you list would be fine. I'll take a look at them when I'm in the art store.

Wayne Gaudon
03-05-2002, 09:26 PM
Lisa, I don't think you are looking for this but I just stumbled on it tonight doing a little testing of color swatches. I was overwhelmed with the richness of the red.

Indian Yellow/Quinacridine Red .. .. on this pick I put some secondaries under and then painted the red from the above combo over the secondaries ..as you can see, it is a beautiful red ..

walden
03-05-2002, 11:25 PM
That is a great red, and quite warm. What's the brand? I bought W&N Winsor red, which is an arylamide (pr188), but I haven't tried it yet. I really wanted quinacridone because I really love quinacridone violet (pv19) having used it both in watercolors and oils, but couldn't find one in the shop.

Wayne Gaudon
03-06-2002, 05:50 AM
Grumbracher Red Q .. cool on the color wheel.