PDA

View Full Version : Morning Pages

Pannet
02-19-2002, 09:29 PM
Hi Everyone! I've completed a 12 week Artist's Way course before and an am working with it again. My most difficult part are the artist's dates yet my question is on the morning pages. Has anyone had success with consistency? Writing consistently every morning? I find that I do the pages in the mornings that I'm in a routine (going to work each morning) but if my routing gets thrown off - if I'm late getting up or it's the week end - then the pages don't get written. At least not in the morning!!! Any suggestions on how to make the morning pages a routing morning thing????
Thanks!

busy91
02-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Good question. I myself am only on day 3 of this. And I have another question. The book suggests you write 3 pages. Is this 3 pages front and back or three pages (one front, one back and one front)? Just curious because they give you an alloted time of 30 min for this writing, but it takes me only 30 min to do a page and a half. Confused about this.

impressionist2
02-21-2002, 09:20 AM
Liz and Pannet,

I am consistently doing my morning pages. They may not get done in the morning but they get finished before the day is over, everyday. I see the benefits to me , both artisticly and psychologically.

The TAW book says to use a steno type notebook. I do three pages. That is the front and back of one leaf and one side of the next leaf. Any larger book would just be torture so I can see why they recommend that size.

If I wake up and I am in a good mood and nothing is really stressful that day, it is sometimes difficult to write. When that happens I just write about my art or my grandson, both of which bring me great joy.

I have actually worked through to realizations by writing down things that have griped me for a long time. I had an "aha" moment the other day and realized I was unconsciously doing to the other person the exact same thing that annoyed me about their behavior toward me. When things like that happen, I see the total benefit of writing out your feelings. Can't hide from them and run back into denial. By facing them and looking at them, a breakthrough can happen.

The best benefit though, is removing all the "bothering" things early in the day so your mind is free to "imagine" your art.

Renee

Rose Queen
02-21-2002, 02:13 PM
Don't get overly fussed about how many pages and of what size. I do mine in a a word-processing program on the computer and I type about 3/4 of a page, which is easily the equivalent of three handwritten pages. What's more important is not to just turn them into a journal; it's to write what's bothering you, what gives you joy and what gives you pain, what your hopes and dreams are, what concrete steps you might take toward achieving those hopes and dreams, why you create, what you're happy with in your art and what you're unhappy with, what stands in your way and your ideas and feelings about what you can do about those obstacles, who's telling you you aren't an artist and why they're wrong, etc.

If you can do that, as impressionist2 says, you'll be amazed how powerful they are, not just in your art, but in your life.

busy91
02-21-2002, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys for the tips. I have been using a regular size spiral note book and it takes me 1/2 hour. That size is OK for me since I have a lot to get out early in the morning. :D

Sometimes I vent, sometimes I have an epiphany, sometimes I write poetic verses. It just depends on my mood I guess. So far I've done 4 out of 4 days.

impressionist2
02-21-2002, 09:27 PM
Liz, Just one more tip.

I do actual "streamofconsciousness" writing. Absolutely No punctuation. You'd be surprised how many minutes you waste, dotting I's and crossing t's. Try it, you'll go much faster.

Also, relax your hand while you write. there's nothing like stress to cramp up your fingers fast.

Renee

Pannet
02-22-2002, 02:55 PM
Thanks all for the helpful info! I've been such a stickler for following the book that I almost missed the point of the exercise! I was actually "composing" what I was writing - thinking about it instead of letting it flow. that got tedious real fast! and I'm using a regular 8.5x11 size notebook (college type) - that's a LOT of writing!
I like the idea of just writing - before the day is over - as long as it's done and beneficial! This morning I wrote a page and a half before I fell asleep - had been up late and got up as usual to do my morning pages! Whatever I wrote was definitely from my "unconscious" because I was not conscious!!

I've spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon working on my drawings. It's been a peacful day!
Thanks!!!

Dr. Keith L. Young
02-28-2002, 11:47 PM
It's very important to "show up" at the Morning Pages. By writing one or two lines will help you break the ice. Remember, your log is not to ever be revealed. Put your pages in a secret place. You will be enlightened as time goes by, to your inner self.

Keith

impressionist2
03-01-2002, 11:12 AM
The last two days have been very hectic and I did not get to finish my morning pages till the evening. Now, however, I cannot retire till they are done. So, there I was at 10:30pm, writing last evening.

I see major changes in my artwork. I am moving from straight portraits into figurative work, as some of you in the oil forum may have observed. The new figurative work has a mystery to it and I credit the emergence of this new style to my morning pages.

I also have plans in my mind, for a show in the future and actually got a call from the gallery director ( where my small local scenes are shown in two holiday shows) saying she is considering fitting me into one of the figurative shows later this year. That would be a major step up for me.

Now a body of work is forming in my mind. I spend the day imagining and creating instead of worrying over "when she said that, I should've said....." kind of mindless clutter. The morning pages get rid of all that and leave room to grow creatively. I wish I had heard of this book and movement ten years ago!

Renee