PDA

View Full Version : Juried Shows

nancysmuse1
03-14-2006, 11:32 AM
For those of you working with Corel's Painter, if you are entering a juried show, do you enter under the "painting" or photography/digital category?

Thanks from a newcomer to digital--
Nancy in WA

JCoop
03-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Hmmmmm? My inclination would be to enter the painting category, but I suspect the antiquated rules would force me into Photography/Digital. Before you enter, be sure and take a critical look at the guidelines. Good food for thought.;)

nancyl746
03-14-2006, 02:07 PM
since I finish my canvases with oils or acrilics I enter in painting cat
Nanc

barryt
03-15-2006, 06:31 AM
I would normally enter my digital paintings under paintings, if they were paintings and not mainly manips. The other category, photography/digital, makes that choice a bit more oo-er, and needs clarifying.

Chiers
03-15-2006, 02:38 PM
I can't imagine a show being broken down into Just those catagories only. The more normal breakdown would be into mediums or themes I would think. Unless of course you are speaking about a digital only show. Even then those classifications would be misleading.

Elainepsq
03-15-2006, 11:30 PM
I've begun calling my pieces digital watercolor, or digital pastel, rather than digital print. While they are prints, I think the descriptive of watercolor or pastel is important to point out, since the media is applied much like watercolor or pastel in Painter. As for categories in shows, that's another story.
In another thread, I told about my experience lately going to the Macworld digital show at the Portland Art Institute. The show was made up mostly of graphic pieces, although several artists mentioned using Painter, there was only one I would call "painterly" and then not realistic, but more expressionistic verging on abstract. I'd like to hear about shows that anyone has been in where there were submissions of digital work in a "painterly" style. Most of the digital work I've seen in shows seems more graphic/photo style.