PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble March 13 Thru 19

K Taylor-Green
03-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Good morning everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, where we chat and get to know each other.

Spring is just around the corner. Today we should see a high of 65, tomorrow, 40?! It has done nothing but rain, and everything is mud soup! Ahh life on a farm!

I found a wonderful movie in the sale bin at WalMart. The Harrison Ford version
of SABRINA. I have seen it, of course, but hadn't bought it. I've also seen the original SABRINA, with Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hephburn. It is fun to observe the differences.

dlake
03-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Well, I'm going to be painting with brushes for awhile. My livingroom. Time for spring sprucing and the livingroom needs new colors and paint. I hate the colors now but, they were comprimiise and ugly. Doing fresh and springy.
diane

meowmeow
03-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone! Just stopping by briefly with some sad news....but I know you all have been following some of the long saga with my mother and her ailments, etc. She died yesterday morning, peacefully. She was 90 years old and had a good life. We were facing the possiblility of an amputation so this was really a blessing...it's hard to keep that in mind at times but I know she was ready and we are relieved she wil not have to deal with another surgery.

I hope everyone has a good week!

SAndy

Bill Foehringer
03-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Sorry to read the news about your Mom, but it was for the best. When quality of life slips away it's hard and hard to watch. Even tho this was not unexpected it's still extremely difficult for you. Take the time to grieve. BillF

Bill Foehringer
03-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Even though I haven't been very productive lately I feel like I'm still learning about art because of this website. Know what I mean? BillF

Grasshopper
03-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Sandy, I'm sorry about your mom. I lost my dad last year at 95 and it still hurt because he was my daddy.

I've not been around much at all. I've gotten epidurals and whatever other kind of injections in my back and although some pain left, the rest of it remains and even though I can walk longer, and stand a tish longer, I still cannot sit in a chair at all and I'm still confined to lying on my back in bed 99% of the time. I don't know what comes next; I go to the doctor toward the end of this week. We thought the shots would enable me to sit. The pain did go away below my knee in my left leg but for about a week it's been coming back down to my foot. The pain has changed some and I think it's because some pain routes were blocked and the emphasis is on the ones that stayed open (best way I can explain it). We're very disappointed this hasn't helped me live a more normal life. My husband is very stressed and I know it would be helped if I could move better, or at least if I could go to a movie and dinner - have a date night - with him like we used to, and if I could cook dinner sometimes. Sorry for whining.

We had a benefit dinner and art auction for my friend, Sandi, the friend I told you about with cancer. A smaller drawing of mine brought in at the auction $160, and Joel2army here in WC donated a large painting that brought in $625!!! It was a successful benefit. A guy in the band at the benefit wants to hang my art work in his music studio to sell; he feels it will sell there, and wants me to put in art that is somehow related to music. He knows I don't have any but will get started. He accepts that. Cool, eh? That will force me out of this art-slump I seem to be in (and have been for a number of weeks).

My black lab, Annie, is getting real slow in her old age. She is losing her appetite (as much as a lab can), has fallen up and down the different sets of steps in our house, and we're discussing what we should do. We don't want her to be suffering. Because of my back, if she falls when I'm alone with her, I can't do a thing to help her. Has anybody else ever had to face this? How do you know if you're not being selfish in wanting her to go, or in wanting her to stay? It's confusing. We love her dearly but don't want her to be in pain. She tries not to put weight on her right back leg, has huge lumps all over, including her right hip & leg (and elsewhere). When she had cancer in her ear and was stinking so bad, we never knew anything bothered her so feel she has this high pain threshold. How does one know??? She's the best dog.

I hope all of you are in good shape and happy. I'm constantly telling people about WetCanvas, and I approach people in art stores and tell them about this site. It's been the best education and a lifesaver... You guys are awesome.

Artistammy
03-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Oh, Sandy I'm sorry about your Mom because you will miss her. I'm glad that it seemed like a good time for her to go.
Grasshopper I sure hope they can figure something out for you.
I've been framing...almost finished. I'm going to take some pieces about 30 mi away to an artshow tomorrow. Then been trying to figure out a composition for the bell tower painting I want to do.
Tammy

K Taylor-Green
03-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Faith, I just can't believe they can't do any more for you than they have!! Just aggravates me to no end. My brother had back surgery in December. He is still off work, and will be for three more monthes. But he is improving.

Sandy, my thoughts are with you, hon. Just stay sane.

dlake
03-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Sandy, you have my condolences. Please know all have you and your mom in thier thoughts.
diane

KA Obee
03-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Grasshopper,
My friend had terrible pain in her neck and shoulder and the shots really didn't help at all. Then her doctor put her on a nerve medicine that is supposed to help people with all kinds of things like,oh I don't know, epilepsy was one of the things I think... I could be wrong - anyway, it has helped her a lot! She wasn't getting any sleep before this, and now is doing great. It doesn't make her groggy or anything during the day either.
I hope your doctor has some answers for you when you see him or her. There is really nothing more depressing than chronic pain - except chronic pain and a doctor that shruggs his shoulders.
Good luck!
Sandy, I lost my mom at 83 about two years ago. It was very hard, and although we had a difficult relationship, I still miss her a lot. But in the long run it is very comforting to know she isn't suffering any more. She had cancer, and it was just so sad to watch her going through all the different treatments at her age. I wonder if we'll all be as strong as our parents have been? What an amazing generation of people!
KA

Kathryn Day
03-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Sandy, so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my mom this past year in October, she was 74. Your memories will be precious. Take care.
I am leaving Wed to Montana to see my daughter and son, and families. We just had about 6" of snow here in Gallup, so I was worried about the connecting flight through Salt Lake, but looks like things are clearing up. My workshop with Dianna Ponting is Thurs and Friday. My daughter is doing it with me. We are very excited. Everyone have a great week. See you when I get back next week.

Khadres
03-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi everyone! Just stopping by briefly with some sad news....but I know you all have been following some of the long saga with my mother and her ailments, etc. She died yesterday morning, peacefully. She was 90 years old and had a good life. We were facing the possiblility of an amputation so this was really a blessing...it's hard to keep that in mind at times but I know she was ready and we are relieved she wil not have to deal with another surgery.

I hope everyone has a good week!

SAndy

So sorry to hear about your mother's passing away, Sandy! But having gone through a similar situation in recent years, I know as you do, that there comes a time when we have to let go and let our loved ones rest. I know it's hard to deal with right now, but try to remember the good times and take care of YOU now. I hope your Dad is coping well (I think he's still alive?) My thoughts go with you.

Khadres
03-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Grasshopper, you're facing the absolute worst time in a pet owner's life! We too had a bearded collie with tumors and ear cancer...we went through a couple years of cleaning and doctoring the ear and trying to keep her from too much pain. When she began falling on the stairs and her appetite began to wane, we knew it was time. Gosh, I hated to let that pooch go; she was such a sweetheart! But then I've never let go of pets easily and still miss each and every one to this day. My aunt once told me that the pain of their lives' ending is just the price we must pay for all the love and good times they give us over the years and if you look at it that way, it's not quite so painful. Hugs to you...you'll know what to do...and she'll thank you for it. I hope someone does SOMEthing for your back soon! Been there, done that, and if time and dumb luck hadn't brought an almost miraculous cure, I doubt I'd have survived because the doctors never did a darned thing to help! I'll be hoping for the best for you!

Katy, I hope your workshop is a blast! Be sure and take pics and report back so we can all enjoy it second-hand!

angecald
03-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Sandy, I'm sorry about your mother. I'm glad to hear that it was peaceful.

KA Obee
03-14-2006, 11:36 AM
There's a great book out right now for all you dog lovers. It's called "Marley, Life and Love with the Worlds Worst Dog." It's hysterical - and then the end is just beautiful. It really helps to put the whole aspect of putting your beloved pet to sleep in perspective. I highly recomend this book, particularly at this time in your life. It's available on audio also, which is great because you can listen to it while you paint!
KA

Bill Foehringer
03-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Grasshopper, Sorry to read of your pain. Wife ruptured disc in lower back. Lost feeling in leg. Had injection to soften the disc tissue so that it would not put as much pressure on nerves, it helped a little then. Later she had cortizone shots directly into gap between vertebra, also helped for a while.
Over time pain has come back terribly but no loss of sensation in leg.
Not candidate for back surgery in '86 because she was moderately overweight. Now she's extremely overweight. She's also suffering from RA and fibromyalgia. Back problems are tough to fix. I know it's hard and frustrating for the spouse because we're even less in control of the situation.
BillF

binkie
03-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Sandy, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Try to celebrate her life and know that she is at peace now. That's what I'm trying to do with my mom who is 92 and in failing health.

Grasshopper, I sure hope the docs will find something that will help you. I'm sorry to hear about your furbaby. It's so difficult when you have to let a beloved pet go. I will keep you and Annie in my prayers.

Bill, I hope you are getting some support. Being a caregiver is difficuilt.

Hubby and I are getting ready to take a vacation in the RV. Can you imagine traveling with 5 dogs, 2 of which hate each other. It'll be an interesting trip. We are going prepared with crates. We're still trying to decide what to do about retirement. We want to downsize to a one-story house in a less expensive area. But finding a place to go sure isn't easy.

I'm kinda jazzed this week with my art. Just playing with the pastels and not worrying about whether the painting has all the right elements, tones and values, and is correctly placed was so liberating. Wish I had more time to play with it.

binkie

Tressa
03-14-2006, 04:26 PM
So sorry to hear that some of you have had losses recently, and other life interupting issues. My thoughts are with you, as I ask the same; tomorrow my brother goes in for surgery to have a spot removed from his lung they totally believe is cancer. They have given him a very good prognosis, so I am being optimistic!!! We are very close...even though we do not live near one another.

Whoever said they have dogs which two "HATE each other, how do you handle that? My Skye (f) and Yorkie (m) are driving me insane with their constant bickering...Any advice???

Tres

CindyW
03-14-2006, 04:56 PM
some sad news....
SAndy
Sandy, I am very sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. It is indeed a blessing that she passed peacefully.
Cindy

dlake
03-14-2006, 05:30 PM
I love Skye and yorkies. they are soooooooo cute. I love them. I'm basically a cat person but, I do have a cute old lady named Tia who is beagal and springer mix. 14 years old.

binkie
03-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Diane, I'll say a prayer for your brother.

Tres, I'm the one with two dogs that hate each other. Wish I had an answer for it. Sadly, I've tried everything from a personal trainer to electric collars and nothing works. Mack weighs twice as much and is half Ricky's age. Mack would kill Ricky if he could. The only thing that works is keeping them apart. The dogs take turns running free around the house and yard. One will either be outside or upstairs. Mack is on a lead when they're both in a room together. And finally, Hubby and I put a choke chain on Mack, which is the only way we've been able to separate them. I don't recommend it to anyone but we love both furbabies and so make it work the best we can.

binkie

watergirl
03-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Hello to all! It seems it has been weeks since I posted or did any art! We adopted a new dog-she is a 3 year old female who did not make it as a breeder- thank god! She is an absolute lovebug and Kado and she are adjusting surprisingly well. It helps the pain of losing our Fuji-it never really goes away though. Sorry to hear of furbabies having problems.

I have been here in Florida-several hours away from my Mom- and she does not want to come visit and has indicated my "dogs" are not welcome at her house and I am feeling incredibly conflicted. Angry and sad. She lost her husband of 47 years in November and refuses any support.

On the plus side, Husbands Mom is 91 and failing and we have been able to spend more time with her. Take care you all, I'll be back :)

Pics of Kado and Zuzu
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2006/43083-comeonbigguy.jpg

dlake
03-14-2006, 08:58 PM
How cute. I really think she's a keeper!
diane

Artistammy
03-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Molly, your dogs look sweet & cute. So glad they're liking each other.
Binkie, I sure hope that's a big RV. 5 dogs in an RV?!
Tressa, I'll pray for your brother also.
My furbaby Angel is still doing well from her eyelid tumor being removed...no scratching yet. One more week before the stitches come out.
Tammy

dlake
03-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Since we are talking furballs, mr fluff has been a very good boy this week and homebound. I think tiger has had a stare to stare talk with him. I love the way these guys talk with eyes and esp. so cool. but, then, cats are pretty cool.
diane

Dot Hoffman
03-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you.

and Grasshopper....I know how your back problems (and all your other problems, too, and you seem to have more than your share!) can drag you down. I assume the docs have done an MRI. If they haven't, I'd insist on one if I were you. Anyway, you are in my prayers.

Tressa
03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
LOL, Well mine are not that bad yet, just the Yorkie will not back down once he gets mad!! They fight over toys, food, chews,etc....I have to grab him up and seperate them!!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2006/76189-mom_and_puppys.jpg

Here are my little devils climbing all over my Mom!!:evil:

Tres

flower
03-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear all the sad things that have happened to each of you, whether it is a person or an animal it is equually sad for those who have lost loved ones and i wish you love and peace to get over these tragedies.

I would like to introduce myself, I am not new to pastels and have sent many up through the forum and the daily wash or scrumble, I have had a couple of years where I have not painted anything, have started again with acrylic, abstract mainly but my love of pastel has brought me back to this forum, I look forward to sending daily or weekly paintings through, I learnt a lot doing this and it helped me daily to motivate myself to do something, so I hope I can be motivated through you all to pastel paint again,

binkie
03-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Molly, your furbabies are precous. And so nice looking.

Tres, yours a real cuties. Are they both males? I think my problem may be that my two that don't get along are both dominant males.

Diane, I lost my cat a couple of years ago. Someone dumped him off and he adopted me. He loved the dogs. I'd come home from work and find that he had come in the dog door and was curled up on the couch with my Dober. Actually, he was a dog in a cat suit.

Hi, Patricia. Welcome back! I look forward to seeing your work.

binkie

Tressa
03-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Yorkie Male, Skye Female....She is the older of the two, and thinks she is boss, plus their personality traits can be on the selfish side....

My brother's surgery went well, and they think they got all the cancer from is lung, so am just keeping positive thoughts!!

Tres

khourianya
03-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Ohhh, Sandy - I'm so sorry to hear of you're mother's passing. You are in my thoughts.

It has been a while since I popped in here. I have been sick at home all week. Some sort of combo between a cold and the flu, as best as I can figure. I have been pretty much bedridden. I am trying to feel perkier this afternoon so I can get back to work tomorrow. I don't know if i have myself fooled yet, but 5 days of laying around is really bugging me and I just want to get back to my work and feel human again.

Hope everyone is doing fine. Sorry I can't respond to everyone right now - still feeling a bit loopy.

dlake
03-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi all. I'm am sooooooo sore and tired. I painted livingroom. Got the furniture in and am organizing it. Plus all the running looking for best bargains to get this house straight. I made the curtains. Found the area rugs at menards for 30.00 and it's a 6 x 9. Trying to find a kitchen cart to hold the microwave and toaster oven and they are just soooooo expensive. But, I have no counter space and little storage. I have to get organizers just to put stuff in so I'm going crazy and am very tired and sore....ugh.
diane

scall0way
03-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Sandy, I'm sorry about your mom. Although she lived a wonderful long life it is always too soon to go, and we always miss them. I was just thinking about my own mom, who passed away in December 2004, the other day. Funny how certain thing will cause memories to pop up when you least expect them.

Grasshopper, so sorry about your problems, and having to deal with your dog as well. What an awful decision to be facing. When my little Merlin was in his last illness last year I was so conflicted about what to do about him. People said to me "You'll know when it's time." I couldn't imagine what they meant as I adored him so I didn't think it would ever be time. But then one day I woke up and just knew that Merlin just could not continue any longer, and I called my boss and said I'd be late to work because I had to take Merlin to the vet first. I still miss the little guy though, and am getting teary-eyed just typing this. They sure do work their way into our hearts.

Molly, your new sweetie looks adorable. I'm sorry about your mom. My grandpuppy is always welcome at my house, and I hope I'll always keep that attitude! No clues about dogs that hate each other. My animals have always gotten along great, knock on wood, even when adding a new one to the mix - like right now with my dad's dog staying with me.

I was afraid I was going to have to make that last trip to the vet with my sheltie Willow this morning, totally out of the blue. I heard her downstairs crying and whining. I thought she just wanted to go out - but I looked downstairs, and she was lying there scrabbling around on the floor, completely unable to get up. I ran downstairs. She was lying in a pool of her own urine, and could not get to her feet. She was just crying and crying. and trying so hard to get up. I tried to help her to her feet, but she just collapsed right unto the ground again. I rushed her over to my vet's office (which luckily is only 2 blocks away), but by the time I got her there she was starting to walk again, though with a bit of a limp.

And by the time we got in to see the vet she seemed to be walking fairly normally! I was sure she'd had a stroke and been paralyzed. The vet said she could not find anything obvious except some arthritis, and her knees, hips, and back all seemed fine, and she had no pain. She got a shot and some arthritis medication - and when we got home she went racing up the stairs! Vet said maybe she had just gotten into an unfortunate position, and then since her legs are a bit arthritic, and she is rather fat, just got in a position where she could not get up, and her legs had gone to sleep, and she probably just peed from fright. Here we are home two hours later and she is perfectly fine! And two hours ago I was thinking she might not be around at all anymore at this point.

Also my dad is now out of the hospital, and on Monday we call the neurosurgeon's office to schedule surgery to have a shunt installed in his head to drain the excess fluid caused by his NPH condition, and we hope this will alleviate a lot of his symptoms.

That's about it - just a gorgeous day here in NJ. Chilly, but the sun is out, a nice strong spring sun, not that weak and watery winter sun. The birds are singing. Just a glorious day, but I'm indoors trying to see if I have any junk I can donate to our church rummage sale next weekend!

Bhavana Vijay
03-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi, this is my first time here and i hope i can join you all in your discussion.Reading all this news about losses, pain and heartache has brought me to tears. Life isnt going on too wonderfully for me since my RA seems to be getting only worse and its really scary.
I dont know how many of you have heard of Reiki.Its nothing religious, its only a form of increasing life force energy to heal.I was not much of a beleiver myself till i did the 5th degree and i actually felt the energy.Its the only way i think i can help and i really want to. I just need your permission to put your names in my reiki box and i hope things will ease for you.
If you will like something specific to be included pls PM me and i will tell you how. :heart:

P.S. http://www.reiki.org/FAQ/WhatIsReiki.html

shawn932
03-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Sandy, I am new here. Just a Tennessee pastelist. I am so sorry about your Mom too. Be so greatful to have her for so long though. I lost my mom and best friend 10 years ago from breast cancer. She had just turned 60 and it was Christmas Eve. Now I realize 60 was so young. You are blessed to have so many years with a mom who was so special to you. Some people don't have such good relationships with their mothers.