PDA

View Full Version : Canada Balsam found in Canada!!!

KanuK
02-19-2002, 08:40 AM
Well after a lengthy search I would like to be able to report to my Canadian Artist Friends that finally I have found a supplier of Canada Balsam in , of all places, CANADA.

I was very anxious to implement Canada Balsam into my oil painting practice and searched " High & low ".

I called the shop that is here in Montreal and spoke with the owner and they do indeed supply Canada Balsam and they ship their products as well.

They speak both english & french and can be found on the internet at the following....

http://www.kamapigment.com

* I add...this link is intended to be a resource to the interest of artists regarding their search for Canada Balsam and not intended to solicite business for personal gain whatsoever... if I have been in appropriate to post this link please edit this thread ...*

Thank you in advance

p.s. I am so happy that I will NOT have to harvest my own Canada Balsam...
I tried & :D
it takes forever..!!!

Sincerely

KanuK:p

Scott Methvin
02-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Well after a lengthy search I would like to be able to report to my Canadian Artist Friends that finally I have found a supplier of Canada Balsam in , of all places, CANADA.

Quoted by Kanuk

Thanks for the link! They seem to be very inexpensive, compared to what I have paid for CB in the past from others. Are those prices in Canadian dollars? If so, wow.

KanuK
02-19-2002, 12:13 PM
hi Scott,

I thought the same thing...and especially with the exchange on the US $...
for you guys in the US the prices certainly can't be beat..IMO.

I don't know if you are talking about all the prices or just the price of the Canada Balsam..
but hey...when you consider...Canada Balsam comes from Canada and especially here in Quebec where we have so many Balsam trees...maybe it makes sense or ( " cents ")..

all I can say is sure glad I found some here @ home and that I don't have to pay the exchange on the purchase.

By the way..Scott...??? do you use Canada Balsam?? and any advice or how you do ??

KanuK

KanuK
02-19-2002, 12:30 PM
Scott...

I am using a Mac and I don't get to see a catalogue on line for some reason.
As a result I called Vincent from KamaPigments and asked him about the prices.
He informed me that if you have signed in to view the website then the prices you are seeing are in US$...and I do believe it is indicated whether it is in US$ or not on the page you are viewing...

hope this is still a good resource for you as well...

Cheers

KanuK

ps. if anyone else is using a Mac and finding they do not have access to view an on-line catalogue Vincent said he will be contacting his web designer about this ASAP..

Scott Methvin
02-19-2002, 04:38 PM
Hi KanuK,

Even in US dollars it's a great price. Canada Balasam-is Canada Balsam. I guess the cleaner the better.

I add it to linseed oil as a medium. It allows the colors to "stick" to dry areas. Otherwise, you get beading, like water on a waxed car. Just add to taste, generally about 6 oil to 1 CB. Dries nice and adds depth. Too much can get stringy and sticky.

Smells wonderful.

KanuK
02-19-2002, 05:35 PM
hi again Scott,
well I ran right out and picked up some CB and met Vincent from the shop.
I agree that the prices are great.
I just can't wait to getting around to trying some out.
Vincent's recommendation was ...
(in keeping with the " lean to fat rule" ) to use the CB in the final two stages of the painting ie. perhaps in the final washes.
This would make the CB go further and he figured that by using it just in your final layering you still benefit from the effects the Canada Balsam gives to your paint.
Sounds like good advice to me...but as I say...I am very "new" to this whole OIL thing-ie so what would I know??!

I like your recipe too... it sounds good enough to eat!! :p

KanuK

Leopoldo1
02-19-2002, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the link KanuK! I seem to always love buying from Canada! Great bargains! :)L

kevinjh
02-20-2002, 06:19 PM
Sorry - I'm a little clued out about what effect Canadian Balsam has on the painting. I'm assuming it's a resin. What's so special?

KanuK
02-20-2002, 08:12 PM
hey Kevinjh,

you'll find lots of info here @ wetcanvas if you use the " search " feature.
type in " Canada Balsam " when you're in the search window...and it will bring up lots of threads to explain it's various uses and ideas on how to use it.
I am not experienced enough to answer your questions regarding it myself...but you will find many answers by using my recommendation above.

Hope this steers you in the right direction..and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

KanuK

kevinjh
02-21-2002, 01:03 PM
It's actually been a big help. Thanks:)

KanuK
02-21-2002, 05:46 PM
hey kevinjh

glad you got all the info from the search button on Canada Balsam.
I looked it over before and that's where my curiousity started to implement CB into my oil painting.
There sure was plenty of info on those threads for us , for sure.
Now look out ... I may be coming to you for some help very soon on how the Canadian Balsam works exactly...:D

I hope you have an easier time finding some out west then I had here in Montreal.

Happy Painting Kevin

KanuK

I hope I get around to using my CB soon...I will be sure to let you know what I think of it...