PDA

View Full Version : still pluggin'away

Gisela
02-19-2002, 03:28 AM
Ok...
I put another ground on the flamingos and re-etched the plate. Does fresh acid bite slower? It seemed like it went much faster with the used acid.
I tried taking everyone's advice about the wiping, and I think it went a little better. I added some Miracle Gel to the ink too, so it wasn't quite as much of a struggle. Got the edges cleaned up too. :)
These aren't scanning well at all, but I think I got a pretty nice (well, maybe not nice, but better) plate tone. (am I saying that right?)
Here it is after the second bite;

Gisela
02-19-2002, 03:37 AM
Then I decided to get really brave and try some aquatinting...
I did 3 levels of that.
Now, I'm finding that my original lines are kind of lost. I was trying to do the sky white, the tops of the birds a little gray, darker shadows on the underbelly of the birds and the ground really dark. I guess the sky and ground worked out ok. LOL!

Here's the lastest state;

chris 97
02-19-2002, 04:50 PM
fresh acid bites FASTER. are you using all fresh acid or just "refreshing" the acid you have already been using??

Gisela
02-19-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by chris 97
fresh acid bites FASTER. are you using all fresh acid or just "refreshing" the acid you have already been using??

Hi Chris,
This is my first etching...ever. I used prepared ferric chloride from Graphic Chemical. I reused it for the second etch of the plate and the aquatinting.
I just read an article on the chemistry of ferric chloride by Stephen Hoskins, where he suggests dissolving a small bit of copper in fresh (new) acid before using it. He says that it kind of kick-starts the chemical reaction. He also says that optimum etching conditins occur after some etching has been done.

I do understand that eventually the acid becomes ineffective, but the first bite on this plate took a very long time and subsequent bites have been much quicker.

sassybird
02-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Remember that wonderful little tool the burnisher. You can go in and burnish out areas where you don't like how something looks. That is my most used tool:D

P.S. In case I didn't say so before always use a little 3in1 oil when you burnish.

AmyH
02-27-2002, 08:14 PM
hey gisela,

the aquatinting really made this pop, nice!

amy

mame
03-01-2002, 09:09 AM
just dropped in this am to see what was happenin -

great going, Gisela!

How lucky to have the ole sass-a-roo/print guru on hand.

Sure makes for yearning to get back into the sludge.

Gisela
03-02-2002, 06:11 PM
Thanks ladies!

Sassy, you know I'm balking at all the work I'm committed to (the show and mural) because I want to keep working on this plate...:rolleyes: I'll be back at this with the burnisher, for sure.
I saw somewhere that you have a thing for flamingos?
If...no, when I get this one right, I'll send you one of these.
After all, I'd have never made it throught his whole proccess without all your help and tips. :D

Gis

amanda
03-05-2002, 08:26 AM
I really like how this is developing. The second print here looks really nice with the texture showing and the fuzzy lines. Make sure you post the next stage!:clap: