PDA

View Full Version : Macworld digital show

Elainepsq
03-12-2006, 02:07 AM
I went to a Macworld digital show, at the Portland (oregon) Art Institute. I just thought I'd share some observations
I found it interesting that none of the pieces were painterly, as so many of us in this forum paint digitally.
Only few signed their work. I've been matting mine like prints leaving room at the bottom to sign in pencil and give a number in the series. I don't think I will worry about the series thing anymore, but I certainly don't feel right about not signing my work.
Photoshop dominated the show, although a few mentioned Painter, Bryce, Poser, and a few programs I am not familiar with.
They were all matted in large white mats with a very small, simple frame

justjean
03-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Thanks for sharing with us Elaine it's always interesting to hear what is out and about :wave:

Chiers
03-12-2006, 04:01 AM
I could be mistaken but I think that the "painterly" in digital is fairly new to the digital world. The digital work I was familiar with was vector type illustration. Work done for Magazines and movies, etc. I don't think graphics programs attempted to replicate real mediums until the last few years.

barryt
03-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Thanks for that Elaine, it's great to keep informed of these things. I like it when people comment in threads about what they do too.

Yako
03-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Hmmm! ditto what barry said

Bytemebabs
03-12-2006, 03:26 PM
I find this incredibly interesting. Thanks for sharing. I agree with Sherry. Digital art was more vector oriented and until i joined this group, I never noticed the "painterly" look in digital art. Some artist here have it perfected!!!!!!!!

Sadly I doubt I ever will, because I have never had an art lesson so I don't understand how to achieve the "brush stroke" apperance but I absolutely love the look.

Again, thanks for sharing.

fugitive
03-12-2006, 07:57 PM
I went to a Macworld digital show, at the Portland (oregon) Art Institute. I just thought I'd share some observations
I found it interesting that none of the pieces were painterly, as so many of us in this forum paint digitally.
Only few signed their work. I've been matting mine like prints leaving room at the bottom to sign in pencil and give a number in the series. I don't think I will worry about the series thing anymore, but I certainly don't feel right about not signing my work.
Photoshop dominated the show, although a few mentioned Painter, Bryce, Poser, and a few programs I am not familiar with.
They were all matted in large white mats with a very small, simple frame
Hey, I live in Portland and missed it, is there a site somewhere? I get a bit perplexed too, looking at the derth of good/fine/digi/art, so perhaps I'm doing something right, as I don't care what the rest do;-)

JCoop
03-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Elaine, you might also find it interesting that the portrait section of Ballistic Publishing's new book, "Painter the worlds finest painter art", contains more non-painterly portraits than painterly ones... yet, they are just as beautiful. This has prompted me to take another look at developing a non-painterly style to compliment my painterly one.:)

Elainepsq
03-12-2006, 11:53 PM
I enjoy reading everyones opinions. I PM'd you Greg with the details. If there are any other locals lurking, the show is at the Art Institute of Portland thru 3-31.
Joel, I look forward to seeing how you develop a non-painterly style. I started doing digital in '95 and while everyone at the school was doing manips, and very graphic, vector stuff, I started to improve on manips by painting on layers. I enjoy seeing the human touch combine with the computer, so when folks here at WetCanvas were painting and drawing freehand I jumped right in!
But all in all it's interesting to see what is acceptable in the national shows for signing your work, matting, framing etc.

beautifulfreak
03-13-2006, 12:07 AM
I don't know about the digital painting style only being around for the past few years. Painter has been around for awile. My Painter 5 paint can say 1997 and there was 4 versions before that. And if you've ever used the older vector program Expressions, it has vector lines that look very painterly. I just think you see more painterly styles now because there is a movement away from the high tech looking images and moving more towards illustration.

Elainepsq
03-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Come to think of it, you are right. I still use my version of Painter 4, and they had that at the school I went to for digital back in 1995. I have "Painter Wow" which was copywrighted in 1996!

Jin
03-13-2006, 04:16 AM
Painter's always been a Natural Media program as far as I know, and certainly since my first version, Fractal Design Painter 4 which I purchased in 1995.

Fractal Design Painter 1 was released in 1991 and there was Fractal Design Sketcher (black and white only) before that.

There are a few very interesting comments, links to articles, interviews (including an April 1996 radio interview with Painter's "inventor" Mark Zimmer), and other information about Fractal Design Painter, Metacreations Painter, and Now Corel Painter available to read and listen to on my PixelAlley site at:

Painter's History (http://www.pixelalley.com/painters_history/painters_history.html)

Reading and listening to them will give you an idea of how long Painter's Natural Media tools have been around and how they were developed.

It's fascinating stuff, especially if you're a Painter lover like I am and so many other artists are.

Hope you enjoy them! :)

Chiers
03-13-2006, 05:06 AM
I don't know about the digital painting style only being around for the past few years. Painter has been around for awile. My Painter 5 paint can say 1997 and there was 4 versions before that. And if you've ever used the older vector program Expressions, it has vector lines that look very painterly. I just think you see more painterly styles now because there is a movement away from the high tech looking images and moving more towards illustration.

Having a chuckle here. I guess last few years is a relative term for me. Anything since 1980 seems like the past few years to me.:D I do have expressions3, and love it. In my opinion though it really can not produce what I consider painterly. I think the newer version of expressions that MS is coming out with can though. Not sure if they have released the final version of it yet.