PDA

View Full Version : Tree Frog - Stippled

AriadneArts
02-18-2002, 09:36 PM
This took 25 minutes for the pencil sketch and 4 HOURS!!! to stipple. The scan isn't showing the variations in stippling and tone very well. Anyway, first stipple attempt. Advice, comments are happily received.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2002/Tree_Frog_pen&ink002.jpg

3x0 Rapidograph on Strathmore 400 - 6" x 8"

artdude
02-19-2002, 05:23 PM
Hey...GREAT job on the stippling Eileen :) I know what you mean about it taking so long. I have spent up to 70 hours on one piece. Kind of makes your eyes go a bit buggy!! I usually take a break every half hour and step back and look at it from a distance just to see how the shading is going. Your frog is a good start. You do need a bit more darks in there though. You can achieve this by placing the dots closer together. Once you do this you can then add more dots to the areas where there are none so the frog looks a bit more whole. The way it is now, it looks more like an outline. This looks like one of the pics from the last FND. Maybe post that pic in here so we can compare the two?

PS: Keep going, it's looking GREAT!!

arlene
02-19-2002, 06:40 PM
here Eileen...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2002/treefrog.jpg

I changed the name of the image, saved it to my hard drive, then uploaded again.

AriadneArts
02-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Thanks for your help Arlene. I had just read your reply in the "Computer/Technology" forum and came over here to try out the renamed document. Seems like computer learning is running parallel with art study nowadays. I've now learned something about naming images....:p

ArtDude: Thanks for your very helpful comments. I have a tendency to just keep going, and I know that's not good quality-wise. I'll take your tip about taking frequent breaks and stepping back. But ArtDude--70 HOURS!!! My measley 4 hours is just a drop in the ole bucket, then.....HOLY MOLY! :confused:

Oh, and yes, this is the tree frog from Animal's FND. I just loved it and had to try something with it. I'm thinking about very lightly coloring it after I'm through stippling. Think that'd be too much?

artdude
02-20-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by AriadneArts

ArtDude: Thanks for your very helpful comments. I have a tendency to just keep going, and I know that's not good quality-wise. I'll take your tip about taking frequent breaks and stepping back. But ArtDude--70 HOURS!!! My measley 4 hours is just a drop in the ole bucket, then.....HOLY MOLY! :confused:

Yup..that's a LONG time :) If you check out my web site you will find an ink drawing I did called "Waterton Sunset". The size is about 10" X 12". That is the one that took me 70 hours.

Link to Stippling page (http://pencil2pen.com/point.html)

Oh, and yes, this is the tree frog from Animal's FND. I just loved it and had to try something with it. I'm thinking about very lightly coloring it after I'm through stippling. Think that'd be too much?

Coloring it seems like it would be a great idea. I would suggest maybe scanning it first and then coloring the copy just to see if it looks right to you. That way you will still have the original intact. Colored pencils would probably be your best bet for coloring. Be sure to post the colored version if you decide to color it.

AriadneArts
02-20-2002, 12:55 PM
Murray: I checked out your website. WOW!!! Your work is extraordinary! Are the blackest areas of the swallowtail stippled as well? As for the Waterton piece, I can only say FORMIDABLE! My faves are the hawk and the hummer, though. :p

As for color, I was planning on using Verithin pencils for a light, tinted effect. But I'll try it out on the scanner first, as you suggest. Thanks so much for your input--it is much appreciated.

One question: This frog is done entirely with a 3x0 point. It is rather small (6x8 Strathmore), so I was hesitant to use a larger point. Should I try a larger point for the darker areas?

NorahT
02-20-2002, 01:09 PM
You did well with the tree frog - nice pen work and very believable :) A touch of colour would not hurt - let us see it if you go ahead.

artdude
02-20-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by AriadneArts
Murray: I checked out your website. WOW!!! Your work is extraordinary! Are the blackest areas of the swallowtail stippled as well? As for the Waterton piece, I can only say FORMIDABLE! My faves are the hawk and the hummer, though. :p

Thanks Eileen :) Glad to hear you liked my inks. The blackest parts of the Swallowtail were done with a brush and india ink. The Hawk (golden eagle) and the Humming Bird are my faves too.

As for color, I was planning on using Verithin pencils for a light, tinted effect. But I'll try it out on the scanner first, as you suggest. Thanks so much for your input--it is much appreciated.

You're quite welcome :D

One question: This frog is done entirely with a 3x0 point. It is rather small (6x8 Strathmore), so I was hesitant to use a larger point. Should I try a larger point for the darker areas?

Using a larger point has it's advantages and disadvantages. Using the larger tip will no doubt take less time but you will also sometimes loose some fine detail you get with the smaller tips. It's all about patience. I only use a larger tip when working on bigger pieces. It should be fine using a smaller tip for yours. You will just have to group your dots closer together to get some darker areas and start to space them out more for your mid tones. Keep us informed as to how you are doing with this pic :)

sassybird
02-20-2002, 09:23 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh You did a great job on this. I know what you mean about the scans not picking up the variations. I used my digital cam for the pic in my tiny head, and even that missed most of the variation. Was this one of animals reference images for last Friday nights drawing session? I seem to remember a tree frog. I did his tucan. I wish I could see this in reality. It appears so delicate.

AriadneArts
02-20-2002, 11:03 PM
Norah: Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I am inclined to add a little light color. And I will post it when I do.

ArtDude: Thanks again for your help. Yes, I guess my instinct stood me in good stead when I persisted in using only the 3x0. Actually, there are only dots in this entire piece, including the pupil which I did get quite black with just the 3x0. I even outlined the frog in stipples when I began. I love the effect of stippling--it gives a soft preciseness, which sounds paradoxical, but that's the only way I can put it into words. So, following your advice, I will continue on with the same 3x0 point and post my efforts when I've done.

Sassybird: Thank you so much! Yes, it is the tree frog from Animal's FND. I did the flamingo, but later, I couldn't resist trying this lovely little impish tree frog. I'm still learning how to use the scanner, as well. I'm using Photoshop Elements, which came with my Vaio, but now I'm wondering if I should shop around for Photoshop 5.0 at the now lower prices, or is it just never possible to scan something as it actually looks?

seejay
02-21-2002, 06:37 AM
This is a great drawing! Thanks for posting.

I must say my preference for an ink drawing is to leave it purely as ink. I'll keep my eye open in case you post a colourised version some day.

Chris

AriadneArts
03-01-2002, 01:02 PM
Thanks, Chris! It seems I'm inclined to agree with you re: color, at least on this one. So far, I've left it as is, although I do plan to shade it a bit more per artdude's suggestion.

RuthT
03-04-2002, 08:22 PM
This is lovely Ariadne.

I started on a piece of stippling and gave up after 6 hours (not all at one go). Maybe with your inspiration and Artdude's advice, I will go back and try to go a bit further with it.