PDA

View Full Version : Supply shopping

CM Neidhofer
03-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi everyone. I discovered a new hobby, craft and art store last week and finally got a chance to stop by there yesterday. What a great little place! Jam packed with everything under the sun. I picked up a sheet of Sennelier sanded card and two pads of Colourfix paper, one with warm tones, one with cool. Now, as soon as my boyfriend gets finished redesigning my work area, which is going to be larger than anticipated...(He's SUCH a sweetheart!)....I can get back to my pastels. :clap:

Christine

Donna A
03-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone. I discovered a new hobby, craft and art store last week and finally got a chance to stop by there yesterday. What a great little place! Jam packed with everything under the sun. I picked up a sheet of Sennelier sanded card and two pads of Colourfix paper, one with warm tones, one with cool. Now, as soon as my boyfriend gets finished redesigning my work area, which is going to be larger than anticipated...(He's SUCH a sweetheart!)....I can get back to my pastels. :clap:
Christine
Hooray, Christine!!!! You are gonna have a ball! Especially "playing" (well---that's how I think about it!) :-) in your new studio space! Work rather gently with the Senn. sanded card. Lovely surface. And just don't let it get wet! I sneezed once and---was only a drop that found it's way on to the board---but made a hole in the ground. Drat! The Colourfix, you can go wild with. I've even taken sheets into the shower with a scrub brush to get rid of an old painting. And you can sand it down with fine sandpaper to get suede-ier surfaces, pretty much with the same feel of the Senn. board, if you like it. You can acheive different degrees of velvetiness with a little sanding or much more. You are in for some wonderful adventures of discovery and creativity! Very, very best wishes---and yea! for your beau!!! Donna ;-}

dlake
03-10-2006, 05:36 PM
what store is this. We have 3 hobby craft stores that sell nothing good. no art stores. I order everything. sigh. If we have to have nothing but, craft stores at least we could have a decent one like this. What is it's name???

CM Neidhofer
03-10-2006, 11:09 PM
What is it's name???

I think it's just a local place. Called Thompson's Craft Hobby and Art store. Everything from beads to books to miniatures to a whole section of models to pastels, oils, easels, etc. I figured they wouldn't have much in pastel supplies, but I was wrong!

Christine

artc
03-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Donna....Thank you so much for your info...greatly appreciated...RE: taking colorfix into the shower....HUH???...is this paper?? doesnt it dissolve??
Help please...

Christine.....You are so lucky...no stores around here like that at all...I have to order everything I need thru the mail....

Good Luck......Art

Piper Ballou
03-10-2006, 11:42 PM
good for you Christy....everyone laughs at me when we go to the "big city" -I do not want to go to the mall, etc...I want to go to the art store

Donna A
03-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Donna....Thank you so much for your info...greatly appreciated...RE: taking colorfix into the shower....HUH???...is this paper?? doesnt it dissolve??
Help please...
Naw!!! It's a very strong archival smooth watercolor paper that has been silkscreened with one or two layers of the Colourfix Primer---which you can also buy in a jar and apply yourself to anything you want!!!----and it is a very strong, dependable surface! Takes tons and tons---or should I say layers and layers and layers of pastel!

I really have done a lot of experimenting---and have even tried scrubbing down twice---and all sorts of other experiments to see how it would respond! For myself---but also for the artists who study with me----I like to be able to know the full limits of the materials I work with----and might suggest to others. There are times I've just wiped down a sheet of the Colourfix after I've done a scribbly little demo of some sort----wiping down with a damp handfull of paper towels. But when I really want to get a big build-up off, the shower and scrub brush is a great way! :-) When I get both sides of the Colourfix wet, I'll make sure I towel it off and then press it between blotters or layers of newsprint and weight it down. If I only get the front wet, I don't need to do this. Only when I pretty much soak the paper. Being watercolor paper, it can waffle a bit if I don't press when I get it really wet. And there have been times I've laid a sheet down when it was soaked and got side-tracked (ohhhh---sooooo easy for me!) and then I'll just go back and soak it wet again, let it stretch out the rest of the way again and then press again---or you could simply tape down the sides as you would do with other watercolor papers you've wet down.

Do check out the pdf file on Removing Pastel---I'll upload it again. Some really useful ideas, many have found. Hope it helps! Very best wishes!!! Donna ;-}

artc
03-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Donna...tnx very good info.....I copied and saved your rempastel.pdf..
Right now I'm painting on heavy backed...black...220 grit automotive refinishing sandpaper....You cannot believe how that paper takes pastels...its almost like oil painting.....layer..after layer...after layer...first two or three layers use cheap student grade pastels and Nu-pastels...then switch to Rembrandts and Art Spectrum and Windsor and Newton....then...getting close to done now..........start stroking in the Senneliers and Unisons...and finally the Schminckes. When I'm finished the painting looks like it was done with oil paints...except no gloss...paper has a VERY thick buildup of pastel..absolutely gorgeous....I love the effects...Now all I gotta figure out is how to make the paper archival....just got a bottle of Art Spectrum Pastel Primer few days ago...gonna try coating 9x12" piece of masonite and see how I like that surface....tnx all your help....Art
PS...cats send their regards also.....hehhehheh

Christine....hold on to that guy...he sounds like a good man...not many
of us left anymore........