PDA

View Full Version : As the season turns...what will you do better?

Bill Foehringer
03-10-2006, 10:44 AM
The approaching warm season has me thinking about how to improve over my last warm season's efforts. This is only my second spring since picking up the sticks after a long break. I'm a little worried that I'll be disappointed in my progress.
So what will you all try to improve in your warm weather paintings this time around?
I will work at controlling values. I will start a series of charcoal sketches to improve my drawing skills. Following up on that I will try more flower paintings. I'm beginning to see that, even though I'm tempted to render flowers in minute detail, the essence of painting flowers is not necessarily in abundant details especially in the size paintings I usually make.
In general I will strive to pull it all together on each and every painting.
Which reminds me, I have to order more greens!!!!!
BillF

fortysomething
03-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm going to try to sketch outside in the privacy of my own yard. I haven't worked outdoors much, and I don't have enough confidence to do this in front of people yet. I freeze if someone looks over my shoulder. I'm going to start with small botanical studies, as I find myself overwhelmed by an entire landscape.

sks
03-10-2006, 11:18 AM
This time of year I always think that when the weather is better I'm going to do more plein air painting. I have visions of myself along a river bank with beautiful trees and I'm having a wonderful time painting the landscape - of course.... when the time is upon me it's too hot, too windy, too much else to do, tooooooo muuuuuuch something !!! It really just sounds like a good idea in the winter.
Maybe this year:D :D

dlake
03-10-2006, 11:19 AM
I will do everything better because I love spring and summer!!!! I will dance and sing and laugh.
Actually I'll probably paint better because I'll be outside!!!!
diane

Khadres
03-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm just going to TRY and really get out there for some plein air work this year...whether it's just in my own back yard or in the mountains...it's been years since I've done that, but I remember what fun it was and want to give it a shot with pastels this time!

Westerngirl
03-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Got a new guerilla box for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to NOT toting that French easel around! Can't wait to do a bit of horsepacking and painting with it.

Gotta wait a bit longer though, it's snowing like crazy right now & is about 17 degrees!

Donna A
03-10-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm going to try to sketch outside in the privacy of my own yard. I haven't worked outdoors much, and I don't have enough confidence to do this in front of people yet. I freeze if someone looks over my shoulder. I'm going to start with small botanical studies, as I find myself overwhelmed by an entire landscape.
I think plein air painting in your own yard is just soooo brilliant! Lot of folks think they can only do something beautiful and/or creative far, far away! Good for you----for whatever reason you choose home setting right now! Often, some of the real art of creating a painting is seeing the beauty around us---and then celebrating it! :-) Have a marvelous time with it!!! Donna ;-}

PeggyB
03-10-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm with sks - "I have visions of myself along a river bank with beautiful trees and I'm having a wonderful time painting the landscape - of course.... when the time is upon me it's too hot, too windy, too much else to do, tooooooo muuuuuuch something !!! It really just sounds like a good idea in the winter."

Add too "buggy" to the mix and the fact that I am allergic to the sun - I can burn right through sunscreen 40 and heavy jeans in about 15 minutes if I'm at any altitute. Therefore, I'm more inclined to set up on my north facing patio and paint my yard or from photos. The clean up is really easy too - just hose off the patio where the pastel has fallen!

This doesn't mean I never do plein air, but it is only for short periods of time and in the shade with lots of sunscreen and a wide brimmed hat. When I do paint off home site, I do more color and value studies than actual paintings. Things I can use as reference at home either in the studio or on the patio. I take good photos too as backup to the studies.

So what will I do better this year? Who knows, if I make a resolution to do anything you can be sure that's exactly what I won't do! It isn't intentional, but it just seems to happen that way.

Peggy

Tressa
03-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Get back outside!!! I love to paint in my studio, but plein air is MUCH better!!
I am going to try to do better at organizing myself!!! In the winter months, I get everything kinda jumbled...:D

artc
03-10-2006, 10:44 PM
This year I'm really going to try and get outside and do my very first pastel plein air...For years now, I have simply wanted to go into my backyard and paint the beautiful old stone walls and deep woods surrounding my house.
The shadows in the woods and the trees and walls about an hour or two before sunset are incredible. This year I hope to catch them....Art

Dot Hoffman
03-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Right now the crocus's are blooming and the pussy willows are budding out; the maple trees are starting to blossom and we are at least six weeks away from our last frost in mid-April. The daffodils and iris are poking through. I may get out into the yard today if the nice weather holds as predicted, set up my sorry excuse for an easel till my new Jullian arrives in a couple days, and do my first plein air. I plan to do several plein air paintings soon; we are coming up on the Augusta (MO) plein air event in April (go to www.oakleafartistguild.org then click on Shows and Events for info on this event if you'd like to participate) and although I haven't done it in past years, this year it is a serious consideration.

My goal: to improve my painting significantly and to build a substantial inventory.:wink2:

dlake
03-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, we aren't that far along yet, but, I was outside painting for an hour. Would have been longer but, my mother called and my pets were clamoring for all different things. But, it was mid 60s today and I got to paint with my easel out on the porch for alittle while and it fell marvelous.
I think it's suppose to get cold this week but, I have today to keep in my mind and hold on to until the real thing comes.
diane

Bill Foehringer
03-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Glad to read so many responses mention painting outside. There's no time like the present. There will almost always be some challenge from nature when painting outside but I think the rewards far outweigh the annoyances.
The first thing you'll notice when painting out side is the quality of the light. It is wonderful. The next thing you'll notice is that, once engaged in the process, the annoyances become less of a bother. The next thing you'll see will be the changeing light so find your reason for painting, block-in the darks and shadow areas and note where the highlights are before you start chasing the light. A couple of simple thumbnails are worth doing. Keep your palette simple. Even tho I use pastels I don't bring many colors with me. I lay colors in, over and around each other and let the eye 'average' the intended color out. Something else to keep in mind is that colors are relative to one another. The exact tints and tones are not so important, it's how they relate to one another. Don't start too big at first. Get the values correct, maintain the light direction and color throughout and use details only as needed and you'll have a fun experience. Hey, at least as pastellists we don't have to worry about bugs sticking to our paintings!! BillF