PDA

View Full Version : Calligraphy job I just finished... c&c please?

Autumnwillow
03-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Hello, usually I hang out mostly in the Decorative Arts forum, doing murals, and some portraiture too. I also occasionally do a calligrapy job here and there, but I'd like to get c&c from those of you who are pro, to help me improve and be more confident when someone calls for calligraphy. Thanks guys, can't wait till we get a sub forum ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2006/64104-000_0287.jpg

A little closer... sorry about the glare...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2006/64104-Hudson_Calligraphy_close_up.jpg

I know it's not perfect, but it's the best I could do on such short notice ( she needs it by tomorrow). I'd also love any feedback on pricing something like this, up till now I've mostly addressed envelopes for about $2.00 ea for outer, $1.00 inner. I quoted $50 for this and 6 "reserved" place cards. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance for all help!
Michele

signman drew
03-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Nice lettering, 50 dollars is not unreasonable at all imo. Im not one to talk, I seem to undercut my price often. You have a skill, and should be compensated. Keep up the good work.
Drew

Alex22
03-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Wow!! That was so beautiful!! :clap: :clap: My calligraphy is not that beautiful:( Thank you for sharing it with us.

valchina612
03-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Hi Michelle,

Your Calligraphy is absolutely brilliant. You have a lovely steady hand and a beautiful flourish with the eveness of your writing. Absolutely super work, and please don't be hard on yourself, as you are VERY PROFESSIONAL. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I think the price you have quoted is very reasonable indeed. Good luck with your future Calligraphy, and don't forget that you ARE Professional. :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Merry Scribe
03-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Michele that is a very beautiful peace of work, and no $50 is not to much I would have asked for more but I do not know the situation behind the project. Did you also do the framing? Keep up the good work you are a very good calligrapher and a Professional.:clap: :clap: :clap:

sassybird
03-09-2006, 11:57 AM
A beautiful job. I admire those that do calligraphy. I just don't have the patiences for it.

prairie painter
03-09-2006, 12:33 PM
50$ seems too low, last weekend I watched a guy pay 30 bucks for a 15 minute carwash (just a little perspective there)
That said, this is Truly Fabulous. It's intensely ornate but totally readable! I look forward to seeing more of your work (especially this style!) when the new subforum is up! (and please, do a tutorial on how to work the double-line title letters!)

wade1972
03-09-2006, 01:33 PM
That is beautiful. I wish I could do calligraphy. I joined a club in high school, lasted 2 classes and was done. :(

I love your work, very well done.

Autumnwillow
03-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Wow, thank you all so much for your kind comments... I wasn't even sure if anyone would look! I'm so flattered that you like my work, it means so much to me, especially from those of you who do calligraphy yourselves.

As for the "drop shadow" on the title, it's something I came up with to help flesh out letters and make them more interesting and elegant. Plus it helps to hide any inconsistencies...;) As for a tutorial, it's really not that interesting, I just use a Zig ( or Micron or whatever I have handy) fine line pen to kind of outline just what would be the "shadowed" part of a letter if it was 3D. Usually the right and the bottom. That's all. I'm not sure what's involved in a "tutorial", but if after this description you still want one, I can do that if someone explains what would be involved... is it just step by step pictures? Like a wip?

Thanks again, I'm so grateful for all of you!

Michele

Autumnwillow
03-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Oh, and yes, I did do the framing, but the client bought the frame itself. For the $50, I'm also doing 6 place cards for the tables, but those won't be very involved... I'm glad you don't think it was too much, she's a very good client and I'd like to be sure I'm not overcharging her. Thanks!

dreamz
03-11-2006, 09:27 PM
$50.00 for that much work considering your talent is a pittinance add in it was a "rush" job and they got a fantastic deal. The seating cards alone are worth at least $30.00, single fold, printed both sides. Don't sell yourself short!

Anda G
03-12-2006, 01:36 PM
I think 50 bucks is way too low. (IMHO) I think it is wonderful. Think about the hours spent on it, the materials, artist's touch, etc. That's less than minimum wage.
Just my 2 cents. I am not a professional.
Andagail

Jakeally
03-13-2006, 02:30 PM
This is just gorgeous work. Beautifully written..... beautifully framed. Very well done:clap: :clap:

prairie painter
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
well, if everyone puts in their 2cents, maybe we can get the price up where it should be ;) If you did an all-caps alphabet in that style, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to add it to their bag of tricks, but I don't want to put a big job on you, I'll just keep watching for your work and glean bits here and there.:thumbsup: There's just something very appealing about your alphabet, but then, I'm a sucker for flourishes:rolleyes: and smilies:smug:

Autumnwillow
03-13-2006, 10:56 PM
dreamz... thanks for that! I wasn't really sure on charges, but this was a good client who has become a friend, and she originally hired me to address envelopes for this party, and she consistently paid me more than I asked, so I guess in the long run, goodwill with this client will go a long way-- already has, since she had me do more work right away! As for the reserved cards, they were just one side of a folded cardstock, saying "Reserved" and the last name only with one of those leaf designs for accent. I kinda priced them as an interior envelope at 1.25 each. But I'm glad you think I should've charged more, it makes me feel more confident about future work!

Andagail, thanks! It's always great to hear opinions, humble in particular...;) Overall I'd say the total time I spent ( not counting getting my pens to work properly:mad: ) was about 3 or 4 hours total, so even tho that's less than I can make with murals, it's still more than $10 and hour, which is decent for my area... and it's relatively pleasant work I can do from home, which is a bonus.

As always, Jakeally, you are the best! Thank you for your praise, it means a lot!

prairie painter, Thanks! Wow, I'm so flattered that you like my lettering, it's really just a basic italic with random flourishes here and there. It's different every time I do it. Just whatever mood I'm in I guess... I'm so glad you like it! And thanks for the 2 cents, with more of those I should be able to retire soon...;)

To all, I'm so grateful for the feedback and encouragement.. I'm starting to think I can do this professionally... Tho personally I feel I have a long way to go. Some of the work I've seen is soooo amazing, and I'm impatient to improve! Thanks again,
Michele

sabrestallion
03-26-2006, 12:57 PM
nice job, Michele :)

Autumnwillow
03-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Thank you, Farrukh!

I'd love to see your work closer- do you have a site or is there some way to see it better? It looks just beautiful in your signature...

Michele